This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Nicki Raeleen

Nicki Raeleen Rookie

I'm 19 years old and I have been diagnosed for about 4 years now. Everything had been wonderful following the gluten free diet until 8 months ago. I began to get all of my GI symptoms back and new ones. My skin broke out in rashes, my skin around my lips are so chapped they bleed and my scalp is peeling. Nothing is my life style has changed. After numerous doctors, one came up with the idea that my body never stopped producing antibodies, therefore giving me these symptoms. I am now being put on immunosuppressants. This has really hurt me emotionally with how I look and physically.

does anyone have this? Or even ever heard of it? If so, is there advice you would give me. I'm a bit frighten for my health. ??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

Did the doctor run another celiac panel to see if you have elevated antibodies? If not, ask him to do so before you even consider immune suppressant drugs. They can have really nasty side effects and should only be considered as a last resort. (I know this after talking to my doctor about them. I have lupus and he would only consider prescribing them if my liver, kidneys or lungs were under attack and steroids didn't work to stop it.) Google the side effects and you'll see what I mean.

It is also possible that you've developed an intolerance to something else. Corn, soy, dairy, and nightshades are common culprits. An elimination diet, although restrictive and seemingly endless, is your friend. I'd much rather spend six months eating plain, bland foods than take dangerous drugs.

Nicki Raeleen Rookie

This a new this doctor (my old one sucked) did a new full panel b4 and after my food log and my number are still really high.... My sister has chrons so I no how nasty these drugs can be. 

Unfortuanlly having an intolerance to something dose not really make your antibodie level rise. They will make others like neutrophil (witch are a type of white blood cell) but not tTg and IgG. 

bartfull Rising Star

OK, so it's time to rethink what you've been eating. Maybe something you've been safely eating all along has now changed ingredients. It happens all the time. They may now include either a gluten grain or something that is cross-contaminated. I constantly preach that we must read every single label, every single time we buy something. I have bought two of the same item at once and the ingredients are different on one of them because they came from a different batch. (I know that's rare, but it did happen to me once with ice cream. The older container had no guar gum but the newer one did.Not that guar gum has gluten, but you see what I mean.)

Anyway, as I said, I often preach about label reading and yet even I have bought an old standby without reading the label when I was in a hurry. Shame on me.

And rethink your habits. Is there someone new in your life that may be unwittingly contaminating your food? Or a new love in your life whom you kiss before this person thoroughly brushes their teeth? Go to the newbie 101 thread in the coping section to see some of the other surprising ways one can get glutened.

It may sound like I'm grasping at straws here but I seriously doubt it would take three plus years for symptoms to crop up if your antibodies had never gone down.

Nicki Raeleen Rookie

I understand that, and I am doing a food log. But even my doctor agrees something out of the ordinary is going on. 

My doctor is prescribing them to me, my question was wither or not someone else was having this done. 

Archived