This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ender's Science Experiment

Ender

Ender Apprentice

I know what causes my shortness of breath and asthma symptoms now: EGGS! It doesn't take much either, which is why I've had the problem for so long and didn't even realize. Eggs are in everything!  I don't even like eggs very much, so I'm not sorry to see the back of them. -_-

After reading the advice on this board, I have basically just been eating veggies, fruit, and sweet potatoes over the last week. I've felt really good. I've gotten more regular too (within .5-2 hours of eating a meal). Unfortunately, i ran out of sweet potatoes yesterday.:o I had a couple of normal baking potatoes lying around though. I guess I got cocky or my new doctor got to me. I had half a (rather large) potato with lunch and the rest with dinner. Within a couple of hours of eating lunch. I felt bloated. My jeans were really tight. I've been constipated ever since and I didn't sleep well to boot.

:angry: #@$%#$!@#:angry:

Seriously?!? Potatoes?!? I can't see anything else in my food diary that might cause it, unless you count cooked bok choy (in olive oil and salt). I have yet to see a thread on bok choy intolerance though. I'm starting to think my stomach really is damaged. I've assumed I'm just gluten-intolerant since I felt so much better so quickly, but when you have problems eating potatoes...something is wrong. Do gluten intolerant people have problems digesting so many foods after they go gluten-free? I can't eat corn, wild rice, either chocolate or evaporated cane juice (probably sugar cane, more specifically), and eggs. Kidney beans and potatoes are rather benign, in that they only make me constipated, but still...

I guess now I'm really on board with the veggies, fruit, and meat for 3-6 months, regardless of what my doctor thinks. I do want to start making smoothies though. Since dairy is out, what can I use? Coconut milk? Water :wacko:? What do other people use to make fruit smoothies?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

Could be the white potato just bothered you because you threw something new at your not-yet-healed gut. Or you could have an intolerance to nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant). For now I would just stick to what you've been eating that has been working for you.

Smoothies? Well, they aren't exactly smoothies, but if you mix the fruit with ice cubes and a little water you'll have a delicious cold, healthy beverage.

Ender Apprentice

I figured out that it is probably the CANE SUGAR I'm intolerant too rather than chocolate. The only thing I've had with sugar in it since that Enjoy Life chocolate bar has been some breakfast sausage I made. I didn't even think about it having sugar in it until I noticed some tingling/sleepiness in my feet and quad. Luckily, it is much more mild than when I ate that Enjoy Life bar, and that bar had more sugar (evaporated cane juice) than the teeny amount of brown sugar in my breakfast sausage.

Make sense. I just can't believe I made such a dumb mistake.

I guess my friend will get some yummy homemade breakfast sausage to enjoy. :(

19 hours ago, bartfull said:

Could be the white potato just bothered you because you threw something new at your not-yet-healed gut. Or you could have an intolerance to nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant). For now I would just stick to what you've been eating that has been working for you.

Smoothies? Well, they aren't exactly smoothies, but if you mix the fruit with ice cubes and a little water you'll have a delicious cold, healthy beverage.

Could be either one at this point. I had a really weird reaction to eggplant a month or so ago and haven't eaten them since (nausea, dizziness, etc.).

I looked into coconut milk a little more. I think I could make it myself (to avoid any other ingredients that companies put in ready made coconut milk). I don't like coconut, but I suspect that I could use the calories/fat. Maybe throw in some avocados with the fruit too.

Ender Apprentice

So...I tried a smoothie with water. Taste was...less than ideal. :huh:

Yesterday, I bought some Let's Do Organic coconut flakes (no additives) and made my own coconut milk (a really simple process actually...takes all of five minutes). It thicker than water and tasted a teeny bit better, so there's that. The coconut taste just barely comes through. It'll do me I suppose.

If I could just put some banana chunks in the smoothie, it'd be fine. Unfortunately, I suspect that a banana (the one banana I've eaten in the last couple of weeks), triggered a short episode of limb numbness/tingling earlier in the week. I might test again in a few weeks to be sure, but I'm done with bananas for now.

Archived