This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Eating Rice and Quinoa

Sammy uk

Sammy uk Newbie

I have a severe reaction to wheat, dairy and corn and have eliminated all of them from my diet (corn as much as I possibly can - it's in everything)

I haven't eaten Dairy for 3 years, no Wheat/Gluten since Jan '15 and no Corn since June '15. As my reactions spread from Dairy to Wheat to Corn to play safe, this summer, I also stopped eating all other grains in case reactions spread to other things as well, hoping that in time my gut may heal and I can then go back to them.

Sadly I am now finding that I am starting to react to fish and meat, most likely due to them being cleaned with lactic acid and citric acid both from corn and have problems finding any safe corn free meat or fish.

Hence I am rethinking whether I should go back to eating rice and quinoa as I am struggling to eat enough food. I have never yet reacted to either of them. I am interested in opinions from those who might have more experience.

I am waiting for my first gastro appointment at the hospital next week.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Geeky Newbie

I dont eat meat of any kind and I have stopped ALL grains except certified gluten-free rice. I eat lots of lentils, beans, veggies, nuts and fruits. 

I introduced quinoa into my diet about 3 weeks ago and a few nights ago, had a horrible reaction to it. Like, didn't leave the bathroom for 3 hours kind of reaction. There were warning signs (heartburn, headaches, canker sores, brain fog) but I have been gluten-free for so long (8+ years) that I wasn't paying attention.

I went digging online and found this - Open Original Shared Link

"Most quinoa cultivars do not possess quantifiable amounts of celiac-toxic epitopes. However, 2 cultivars had celiac-toxic epitopes that could activate the adaptive and innate immune responses in some patients with celiac disease."

Consequently, I would proceed with care when it comes to quinoa.

Sammy uk Newbie

Thanks. That is useful to know. At the moment I can only eat local farm seasonal veggies and meat. Legumes, nuts and seeds aren't an option for me due to high arginine levels and my having recurring shingles.

I am concerned that eating rice will encourage further allergies.

Archived