This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

hydromorphone

DougE

DougE Rookie

I am going for surgery.  The surgeon told me he prescribes hydromorphone post operation.  Do i need to worry about gluten?  How about Tylenol 3 (maybe I can ask for that instead).

Thanks,

DougE

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Can you ask the hospital pharmacist?  

It appears to be gluten free (at least by the mentioned companies) per this list that is compiled by a pharmacist:

Open Original Shared Link

Here is the main page:

Open Original Shared Link

manasota Explorer

DougE

I was a hospital pharmacist.  Your best best is to ask the hospital pharmacist before you have the surgery.  It is one of their duties to provide you with gluten free medication if you need it.  I assume you have Celiac?  This will be noted on your hospital record when you are admitted.

There is no way to know what generic you will be given.  You will possibly even be given the brand.  It all depends on the hospital's formulary (list of drugs they use).  If you need something special, they have to get it for you to keep you safe.

Why would you want to use Tylenol #3 instead?  Do you have experience with that working well for you?  Personally, if my doc was familiar with using hydromorphone, I would stick with that.  He is used to its effects--good and bad.  It may be that the hospital has a protocol (typical plan) for your procedure that specifies the use of hydromorphone.  Most hospitals have specified procedures and medications for certain "popular" procedures.

I would be sure, in advance, that your doctor AND the hospital are aware of your Celiac status.  You can call the hospital directly (general switchboard) and ask to speak with a pharmacist.  Any of their pharmacists will do.  Explain your concerns and ask if they are prepared to deal with your requirements.

I would think a more pressing concern would be if the hospital will really be able to provide you with a gluten free diet.  No hospital I ever worked in had a dedicated area for gluten free meals.  That may have changed since I've not worked in a hospital setting in nearly 15 years.  You probably can find this information also by calling the main hospital number and asking to speak with the Director of Food Service.

You have a right to speak with these people and ask these questions.  They should be eager to help you.  It is their job.  Be assertive and protect yourself.  ;-)

Oh, and that internet gluten free drug list is maintained by a pharmacist in Columbus, Ohio.  It is done on a voluntary basis and is not regularly updated.  In other words, it is a guideline only.  Pharmaceutical manufacturers change the inactive ingredients (the stuff you do need to worry about) frequently--and without any fanfare.  Each time you get a new med, you need to call the manufacturer if your pharmacist won't do it.  They should do it--or get another pharmacist.  

In all my speaking with drug manufacturers, I've yet to encounter any that do use gluten.  This does NOT mean all meds are gluten free.

manasota Explorer

I just went to glutenfreedrugs.com and could not even find a listing for hydromorphone or Dilaudid (brand name).  This is most likely because this medication is only used infrequently at this time.  Other pain meds are usually chosen instead.  I searched the pain med listing and the alphabetical listing of all classes of meds.  Could not find it listed.

If you go to this site, be sure to read all the disclaimers too.

cyclinglady Grand Master
1 hour ago, manasota said:

I just went to glutenfreedrugs.com and could not even find a listing for hydromorphone or Dilaudid (brand name).  This is most likely because this medication is only used infrequently at this time.  Other pain meds are usually chosen instead.  I searched the pain med listing and the alphabetical listing of all classes of meds.  Could not find it listed.

If you go to this site, be sure to read all the disclaimers too.

Thanks!  That is what I get for speed reading!  ?. I saw hydrocodone instead!  I ask my pharmacist, but check with the manufacturer always!  This list has been helpful when the pharmacist and manufactuer are closed and people have been desperate.  You are so right, it is just one tool that we celiacs can use.

manasota Explorer

DougE,

I see you're in Canada.  You'll probably be best served by calling the hospital.  If you do contact the manufacturer, be certain to tell them you're having the surgery in Canada.  Frequently, meds differ by country.

DougE Rookie

I will talk to the hospital pharmicist.  Thanks all for your help.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived