This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What's In Ground Beef?

gabby

gabby Enthusiast

This is sort of unrelated to celiac...because I know there isn't anything in ground beef, except ground beef. But I have been trying to find out what parts of the beef go into the ground beef, and I can't get a straight answer. I want to know, do they put things like the liver, kidneys, tongue, and other parts of the beef in there?

thanks if you've got any answers

Gabby

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nantzie Collaborator

There are federal regulations as to what constitutes "ground beef" vs "hamburger.

Here's the info from the FDA page at Open Original Shared Link

Nancy

TITLE 9--ANIMALS AND ANIMAL PRODUCTS

CHAPTER III--FOOD SAFETY AND INSPECTION SERVICE, DEPARTMENT OF

AGRICULTURE

PART 319--DEFINITIONS AND STANDARDS OF IDENTITY OR COMPOSITION--Table of Contents

Subpart B--Raw Meat Products

Sec. 319.15 Miscellaneous beef products.

( a ) Chopped beef, ground beef. "Chopped Beef" or "Ground Beef"

shall consist of chopped fresh and/or frozen beef with or without

seasoning and without the addition of beef fat as such, shall not

contain more than 30 percent fat, and shall not contain added water,

phosphates, binders, or extenders. When beef cheek meat (trimmed beef

cheeks) is used in the preparation of chopped or ground beef, the amount

of such cheek meat shall be limited to 25 percent; and if in excess of

natural proportions, its presence shall be declared on the label, in the

ingredient statement required by Sec. 317.2 of this subchapter, if any,

and otherwise contiguous to the name of the product.

( b ) Hamburger. "Hamburger" shall consist of chopped fresh and/or

frozen beef with or without the addition of beef fat as such and/or

seasoning, shall not contain more than 30 percent fat, and shall not

contain added water, phosphates, binders, or extenders. Beef cheek meat

(trimmed beef cheeks) may be used in the preparation of hamburger only

in accordance with the conditions prescribed in paragraph (a) of this

section.

( c ) Beef patties. "Beef Patties" shall consist of chopped fresh

and/or frozen beef with or without the addition of beef fat as such and/

or seasonings. Binders or extenders, Mechanically Separated (Species)

used in accordance with Sec. 319.6, and/or partially defatted beef fatty

tissue may be used without added water or with added water only in

amounts such that the product characteristics are essentially that of a

meat pattie.

( d ) Fabricated steak. Fabricated beef steaks, veal steaks, beef and

veal steaks, or veal and beef steaks, and similar products, such as

those labeled "Beef Steak, Chopped, Shaped, Frozen," "Minute Steak,

Formed, Wafer Sliced, Frozen," "Veal Steaks, Beef Added, Chopped--

Molded--Cubed--Frozen, Hydrolyzed Plant Protein, and Flavoring" shall

be prepared by comminuting and forming the product from fresh and/or

frozen meat, with or without added fat, of the species indicated on the

label. Such products shall not contain more than 30 percent fat and

shall not contain added water or extenders. Transglutaminase enzyme at

levels of up to 65 ppm may be used as a binder. Beef cheek meat (trimmed

beef cheeks) may be used in the preparation of fabricated beef steaks

only in accordance with the conditions prescribed in paragraph (a) of

this section.

tarnalberry Community Regular
This is sort of unrelated to celiac...because I know there isn't anything in ground beef, except ground beef.  But I have been trying to find out what parts of the beef go into the ground beef, and I can't get a straight answer.  I want to know, do they put things like the liver, kidneys, tongue, and other parts of the beef in there?

thanks if you've got any answers

Gabby

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It probably depends on the butcher - so ask the one you shop with. I would imagine that they're not going to put organ meat in there without labeling it, but I could be wrong on that. Do read the package labels, however, as I have found ground beef in the butchers section that was labeled something like "best ground beef" or some other modifier on the ground beef, and it did indeed have wheat flour in it on the label (hand printed, butcher's label). They must list it on the label, but this is the sort of food we can often overlook labeling reading, expecting a "pure" product.

RiceGuy Collaborator

Well, I won't eat meat or dairy anymore, not because of celiac disease or allergies, but because of what's in animal products that AREN'T on the label. The butcher isn't likely to know about them either.

Here are a few links which will probably be a real eye-opener for you:

Open Original Shared Link

There's a lot more out there, and the above will probably give you plenty of keywords to Google with.

Felidae Enthusiast

I just watched a documentary on the beef industry in Canada and the US and I don't think you want to know what is in ground beef. I wouldn't eat it. You could buy some organic beef steaks and grind them yourself for an expensive ground beef.

Guest Viola

I could find horror stories on just about anything we put in our mouths. Everything from ecoli coated strawberries and lettuce to sausage and yes ground beef.

I think we need to use our common sense and make sure things are washed well or cooked well.

And remember ... organic does not necessarily mean "safe" In many organic, if not all, farms, manure is used for fertilizer. If the animal that produced the manure has ecoli, or any paristite it will be on that vegetable or fruit. As far as hamburger goes ... some packing houses are better than others. That is what we pay "inspectors" for. Each of us must choose for ourselves how much we are going to trust those inspectors to make the meat safe, if not healthy.

Felidae Enthusiast

You are right Shirley, it is about the choices we make. I only eat chicken and fish, but the poultry industry is just as bad (or good) as the beef industry. If I wasn't so skinny, I'd be a vegetarian. Or in a dream world if I lived in a place where I could grow all of my own food, I would.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator
You are right Shirley, it is about the choices we make.  I only eat chicken and fish, but the poultry industry is just as bad (or good) as the beef industry.  If I wasn't so skinny, I'd be a vegetarian.  Or in a dream world if I lived in a place where I could grow all of my own food, I would.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I too have found it difficult to eliminate every tiny thing that might be bad, or not the best. These days everything seems to be contaminated or something.

What most people don't know, is that animal fats and proteins aren't readily digestible like the vegetable ones. The human body needs fat and proteins for sure, but from veggies. We have the enzymes and such for them. That's a major part of why we humans are herbivores. Calcium depletion of our bones (osteoporosis) is linked to consumption of animal proteins. The fats from meat don't do us any favors either.

It's true that nothing these days is totally good, but that's no reason to eat incorrectly.

There's plenty of the nutrients we need in vegetables, including the fats and proteins. It's a matter of selecting the proper balance. The dairy and beef industries have done a good job at convincing the public that their products are what people are supposed to eat. It's sadly not true. Fortunately, things are changing, in a large part due to the Internet. However, there's still a long way to go.

Guest Viola

In which century did someone decide that humans are strictly herbivors? Vegetables are actually much newer to the human diet than meat. The oldest vegetable actually being peas, which are difficult to digest. I don't eat much meat, but would be lacking more in iron than I am now without it being in my diet. And yes, some vegetables have iron, but don't get absorbed as well as from meat.

Having said that ... lets try and keep this a nice discussion :lol: Some of these discussions can get a bit huffy

gabby Enthusiast

Felidae...what's in ground beef? Please just tell me. I'm not a vegetarian, and I eat meat all the time. A friend of mine whose husband is a butcher told me he would never eat ground beef...but wouldn't tell me why. So I am dying of curiosity.

What did they say in that documentary???

P.S. I've been trying to do searches about this on google...but I can't get a straight answer!

Thanks!!

Felidae Enthusiast

Maybe I'm being chicken, but I'm not comfortable getting into this discussion here. I think it may be a little controversial and may upset some people. It just had to do with our beef industry and what we haven't learned from the UK's mistakes. There is a reason that the EU does not import Canadian or US beef. It has to do with a growth hormone that the US and Canada uses but not the EU. However, this is what I got from the documentary. Someone else may have seen a different side to it. Also I have strong opinions on feed lots, so I am probably biased. I think organic farming is better for our health and the environment, but it can be at an economic and ecological cost. But I'll say again, these are my opinions and I encourage everyone to do their own research.

And I don't mean to be huffy, if that's how I sounded. Also, we are omnivores.

Guest Viola

Gabby ...ground beef is ground usually in your store butcher shop, or a local one. It is not done at a slaughter house, or even a packing house. So it depends on who the butcher is that runs the shop and what pieces he chooses to put in it.

Actually two of our family members have worked in both a private butcher shop and a large grocery change. I've watched them make hamburger and it was simply trimmings from roasts, steaks, ribs and cutlets that went into the hamburger. There was absolutely no organ meat ... and I saw nothing that caused me to have a problem with it. Basically, it was simply the same meat they use for stewing beef.

You can ask your local store butcher. :rolleyes:

tarnalberry Community Regular

This is one of the reasons that it's nice to get to know the butcher at the grocery store you frequent, or if they don't have an active butcher, find a grocery store that does. They get to know what your preferences are, you get to know their habits (and the other butchers), and you get what you want and know what you want. As for ground beef... I prefer ground turkey anyway! :-)

Carriefaith Enthusiast
I could find horror stories on just about anything we put in our mouths. Everything from ecoli coated strawberries and lettuce to sausage and yes ground beef.

I think we need to use our common sense and make sure things are washed well or cooked well. And remember ... organic does not necessarily mean "safe" In many organic, if not all, farms, manure is used for fertilizer. If the animal that produced the manure has ecoli, or any paristite it will be on that vegetable or fruit. As far as hamburger goes ... some packing houses are better than others. That is what we pay "inspectors" for. Each of us must choose for ourselves how much we are going to trust those inspectors to make the meat safe, if not healthy.

I agree :) we really could find something wrong with everything we put into our mouths. Meat and dairy products can contain hormones... Vegetables and fruits can be contaminated with fecal coliforms and have pesticide residues. And yes, organic food is not completely safe from these things. Organic farmers will use certain pesticides on their crops (I learned that in a graduate coarse). So really, nothing even orgainc food, is 100% safe. The best thing to do is just wash or cook your food really well before you eat eat or own a farm!
RiceGuy Collaborator
Felidae...what's in ground beef?  Please just tell me.  I'm not a vegetarian, and I eat meat all the time.  A friend of mine whose husband is a butcher told me he would never eat ground beef...but wouldn't tell me why.  So I am dying of curiosity.

What did they say in that documentary???

P.S.  I've been trying to do searches about this on google...but I can't get a straight answer!

Thanks!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For what's used by the butcher to grid into the meat, Viola gave you a good answer. As for what might be in there which you can't see, and can't be trimmed off or avoided by the butcher, take a look at the links I posted.

I agree that this thread could easily go off in a bad direction, but I suppose it's because we all have strong opinions on it. I just know what I know from research, not from just looking at a piece of meat and saying "gee, I don't see anything wrong, and it smells ok". BTW, when the cows are inspected or tested for problems, it isn't every cow, at least not for the large farms that deliver most of the meat products we end up with. When a mad cow is found, typically the farm was actually only testing one out of a hundred cows. Many times it's far less. Sorry if this doesn't sit well with people, but it's not my opinion. It's just a fact of the industry which you can research for yourself.

I agree :) we really could find something wrong with everything we put into our mouths. Meat and dairy products can contain hormones... Vegetables and fruits can be contaminated with fecal coliforms and have pesticide residues. And yes, organic food is not completely safe from these things. Organic farmers will use certain pesticides on their crops (I learned that in a graduate coarse). So really, nothing even orgainc food, is 100% safe. The best thing to do is just wash or cook your food really well before you eat eat or own a farm!

Yes, growing our own would be ideal if it were practical. Unfortunately, we just don't have that sort of world. We can try to make the best of what we have, or find a compromize that we feel comfortable with.

Sure everything is bad for us in some way. I do realize there is still stuff in my food that ideally would not be there. That's another fact I also know from research. I just don't want certain things when I have better choices. I wash all my veggies, but I don't overcook them, because that destroys too many nutrients. I like my vitamins and such to come from the food I eat, not pills. I might take a known good organic suppliment if I knew I needed it though, and couldn't get the nutrient(s) from a food.

As for whether humans should eat meat and all that, I suppose it can depend on what version of history you subscribe to. Now that's a controversial issue better left out of this thread. I already gave my reasoning on it, so I'll leave it there.

Now, from my own experience, I know that when I eat meat I get the darkening under my eyes as if I'm getting anemic. I don't feel as well, and my digestion isn't so good for a few days either. Might be because of the leaky gut and such, but since veggies don't do that to me, I can easily decide which to eat. But as the saying goes; "To each his/her own". I know not everyone does best on the same diet.

Carriefaith Enthusiast
Yes, growing our own would be ideal if it were practical. Unfortunately, we just don't have that sort of world. We can try to make the best of what we have, or find a compromize that we feel comfortable with
I agree with you, it's almost impossible to eat food that is "pure" and we really can only work with what we have.
Guest gfinnebraska

We are fortunate that we live in a rural area with friends that raise their own beef. We have bought a cow from them and had it butchered in the same place for 17 years. THAT is the most ideal situation. :) I do the same with hogs. :)

I agree with all of the above that say to get to know your butcher... and maybe ask around for someone who raises and butchers beef.

To get back to the original question... whatever is trimmed off of the steaks, roasts, etc. gets tossed in for the ground beef. No organs are used. <-- at least not in our beef from our butcher. All the best cuts are made into steaks, roasts, ribs, brisket, and the rest makes hamburger. :)

elonwy Enthusiast

I go for the added expense, and get ground steak. Best way is to pick out a steak and have them grind it for you, but sometimes I just grab the 100% sirloin grind. I won't eat regular ground beef anymore for a lot of reasons. Creeps me out.

Elonwy

gabby Enthusiast

thanks all for your input!

I actually didn't have any angles on this question except one of flavour. I was just trying to figure out what cuts of meat they add into the mix and what makes one kind taste so different from the other. I don't have any grocery stores around me with a butcher. They just get their meat delivered from somewhere else and then they just put a label on it.

Anyways...no worries.

RiceGuy Collaborator
I actually didn't have any angles on this question except one of flavour.

I once had wild moose meat. It was the best tasting meat I think I ever ate - put all beef to shame.

elonwy Enthusiast

Buffalo is also astoundingly flavorful. Best burger I've ever had was buffalo meat.

Elonwy

RiceGuy Collaborator
Buffalo is also astoundingly flavorful. Best burger I've ever had was buffalo meat.

Elonwy

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Was that with or without the wings? :lol:

Guest Viola
:lol::lol: We have buffalo meat without the wings. They raise some just up the road a few miles from us :P
Guest gfinnebraska

So funny!! I had buffalo steaks a few years ago for my big 4-0... great meat. We also have a buffalo farm a few miles down the road. :)

Guest Viola

Buffalo burger makes real good Shepherds Pie .. it's nice and lean. :P

Archived