This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

To Gluten Challenge, or not to Gluten Challenge?

CeliacSally

CeliacSally Newbie

In the past I have struggled chronic pain, fatigue, irritability and IBS-like symptoms almost everytime I eat. I found myself feeling uncomfortable almost all the time and couldn't figure out why. I tried eliminating certain things from my diet (dairy, sugar, etc.) and found that when I stopped eating gluten I started feeling much better. I have not officially been tested for celiacs, but I have quasi-diagnosed myself. I would like to have an official diagnosis from a doctor. However, I have heard you must start eating gluten again (or complete the ¨gluten challenge¨) in order to do so, and I'm not sure the pain would be worth it.  Any suggestions, or do I have any other options in order to be diagnosed?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

squirmingitch Veteran

I'm sorry, there are no other options to being diagnosed. You will have to do a gluten challenge.

Open Original Shared Link

pippylongstocking Newbie
8 hours ago, CeliacSally said:

In the past I have struggled chronic pain, fatigue, irritability and IBS-like symptoms almost everytime I eat. I found myself feeling uncomfortable almost all the time and couldn't figure out why. I tried eliminating certain things from my diet (dairy, sugar, etc.) and found that when I stopped eating gluten I started feeling much better. I have not officially been tested for celiacs, but I have quasi-diagnosed myself. I would like to have an official diagnosis from a doctor. However, I have heard you must start eating gluten again (or complete the ¨gluten challenge¨) in order to do so, and I'm not sure the pain would be worth it.  Any suggestions, or do I have any other options in order to be diagnosed?

Hi C-Sally,

I never had the biopsy for the same reason, I am not willing to have it if it means I have to eat gluten.   That is cruel and unusual punishment imo.  Instead, I went to a naturopath doctor for assistance.  At first it was hard; I was a vegetarian and had to start eating clean meat and organic veggies, and I had to eat lot of it to gain weight (6 full meals a day), I was 5 pounds under the BMI.  Over time I have added new foods and have found out what is upsetting to the digestion (sugar, coffee, and many fruits). I also found that taking probiotics made things worse (loose), so for now I am not taking them.   If constipation is your issue, probiotics are good, they can cause loose stools or diarrhea.  

(I am not a doctor and I am not telling anyone to do what I do)  Here is what helped me. I take quality digestive enzymes (enzymedica digest complete formula), (Country Life) coenzyme  B comp, and (Yarrow) L-glutimine have all helped.  The L-glutimine really helped a lot with the muscle pain!!!  I take double of what it says to per the ND

I have discovered that the pain I was having was in part  from lack of nutrition.  I don't know if this is the case for you, but it has taken me since June of this year to finally be out of pain, muscle spasms all over, and debilitating fatigue.  I am still very weak still, but much better.  Gladly, I can walk and clean house now.  

This is such a challenging disease on so many different levels.  You are not alone! Hang in there, your body does want to heal, but it takes time and do diligence.  

Also, i do gentle/trauma yoga, light weights, light dancing, and daily walking.  The ND also said to chew food till it is pulverized, sip a bullet drink all day made of  of kale, spinach, (any dark greens) beets, very small amounts of blueberries/blackberries/sour cherries, to make it palatable. All organic.  Anything organic, but not too much fruit. 

I was diagnosed after nearly dying. This is a life changing disease; most folks do not understand how hard it is, not only how we have to eat, but the emotional pain from others not supporting us.  

and you know this, but drink lots of water!

hang in there!

Best regards,

Pip

Archived