This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Greetings from St Petersburg Florida!

MissL101

MissL101 Newbie

Hello! I'm 22 living in St Pete and I just found out I can never enjoy pizza without pain :'( 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Darren Apprentice

Yup it sucks. I found the worst thing was the loss of convenience to go out and eat without having to screen everyone and everywhere you you go to determine if it's safe. Pizza is basically ruled out completely since they have flour in the air. Beer....*sniff*... I miss it although there's a couple decent gluten-free ones. Omission lager is the best I've found and you can get it at publix.. Just remember your health comes first, learn as much as you can about getting gluten-free ( I did research for a week before I made the change so I could do it completely in one shot). You will adjust and you will be fine. Chin up!

squirmingitch Veteran

Hello MissL from a fellow Floridian. I'm in north central FL. Yes, you can enjoy pizza again! Your local Publix carries Against The Grain gluten-free pizza & it's delicious! Sometimes you have to look hard for it. In my Publix it is on the top shelf in the freezer & instead of standing up, the boxes are laying down which makes them easily missed if you don't know exactly where to look and how. Here's a link so you know what it is:

Open Original Shared Link

Scroll down to the pizzas. Being in St. Pete, your stores may have/probably have a greater selection of Against The Grain products. One tip on the pizza --- get yourself a perforated pizza pan, you can pick them up for around $8. it will make all the difference in the crust.

And the only gluten-free beer my Publix only carries is New Grist. it's decent but I was never a fan of beer --- gee, I wonder why?:rolleyes:

Please be sure to read the Newbie 101 in the coping section.

Welcome to the club. As stated by Darrin, you will adjust and be fine. In fact, you'll be better than fine because you will be WELL. Cheers!

manasota Explorer

MissL101, Welcome!  Hopefully, you'll be like the vast majority of people on the site who started feeling better pretty quickly and advanced to feeling even better soon--as in weeks to months!  I'm assuming you'll be "one of them" since you're only 22.  Consider yourself very lucky to be taking steps at such a young age to help your body heal.

I realize there's a lot of stuff to miss.  But, I'd give most anything to be back in St. Pete!  We lived there 13 years and loved every single minute.  Perfect weather, nice & relaxed people.  (We left to be close to the best medical help for my husband's situation.)

Oh my God, how I miss the bakery at Publix!!!  I was a frequent flyer.  A very frequent flyer.  Never used to make me sick--as far as I knew!  Alas, now I can't tolerate sugar, dairy, nightshades, soy, or ANY grains.  Rats!  Still, I maintain hope that I will get well--or at least much better.

So go out into the sunshine and the gentle breezes; and take a walk on the beach for me.  I can smell the air now.  Mmmmmmmm.  Love it!  Sorry, I digress.  Hopefully, you can enjoy your Against the Grain pizza and your beer.  It makes me feel good just imagining you enjoying these things.  So, ENJOY!!!!!!

manasota Explorer

Actually, St. Pete is where I was when I became so sick from Celiac that I lost my ability to work!  Yep.  Lost my job, my profession.  I tried everything to get a diagnosis.  I heard lots of "That's very interesting; but I don't know what it means."  Gosh, I hope I never hear that again!  Took me another 10 years and moving to another state to get properly diagnosed.  Still unable to work.

I tell you this not to freak you out; but to impress upon you that Celiac and being gluten free are very, very serious things.  Given your age, I'm certain your outcome will be much brighter.  Much, much brighter.

• 1 month later...
GfreeCowgirl Newbie

I know your pain. I am lucky enough to find a restaurant that I get a gluten free pizza from, California kitchen. If you have it at your local health food store they ensure their gluten-free pizza isn't made in the same place at their regular pizza. If you do get sick from it I'm sorry, you have a harder reaction then I. I hope you can enjoy even the gluten free pizza. 

Archived