This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Leukopenia

LookingforAnswers15

LookingforAnswers15 Enthusiast

Hi,so my quest for answers continues: I got some results back. My ANA test was repeated and this time it came back negative and RF <20 (normal range), which really made me happy. My IgG is still 60 (normal range <20), which slowly but surely is going down (it was >200 when I was diagnosed), so I will take this as a good progress. I am just waiting now for the anti-beta-2-glycoprotein I antibodies test for APS but it is 99% sure I have it. 

My question is about Leukopenia. My doctor did not even mention anything about this but when I came home, there was just written Comment: Leukopenia. I have a lower number of white blood cells (WBC). The normal range starts at 4, mine is 3.9. However, I know that this number was always lower. I believe it was 2002 when I first started having ovarian cysts. My lab results then showed lower WBC but no one seemed concerned. At that point, I considered myself healthy. I exercised, rarely got sick, etc. However, it is possible that I already experiencing celiac symptoms. I had some rash on my arms. 

I read that a variety of things can be causing this, including other autoimmune diseases in particular lupus. I finally started hoping that lupus is off the table with ANA and ENA being negative. 

Do you have any knowledge/experience of Leukopenia? Should I be concerned?

Although my own research has helped me get rid of some symptoms, reading online also opened my eye to so many other AIs and their dangers, which can be good and bad. Good because I know what I need to do to feel better and bad because I worry about other AIs. I really do not even think much about celiac disease. I make sure I eat gluten-free but I spend more time worrying about the "unknown". I never used to be this way before but this changed after I started learning about autoimmune diseases. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

1desperateladysaved Proficient

I just googled leukopenia it is:  a reduction in the number of white cells in the blood, typical of various diseases.  It is a symptom and not a disease.  I guess if it were me I would set out to find why your white blood cells are fewer than normal.  I would look for a disease and I would look for nutrient levels.  Also, consider you may just need some more time for the body to heal.  You may want to look up what in the body produces white blood cells.

I hope it is something that will resolve for you.  Congratulations on the lowered IGG, I would take this is result of your careful diet.  Hopefully everything will come into line.

Take care

Dee

Gemini Experienced

LookingforAnswer.......it's time to back away from the computer and stop googling stuff that is giving you anxiety!
 Here's the short on leukopenia.........its very common in people with multiple or even just one autoimmune disease.

I have leukopenia and my WBC counts have been as low as 2.5. They will always be low and the only time you need to worry about it is if you are getting sick all the time.....which I am not.  With autoimmune disease, blood work can be funky and not all of it needs your attention. I have a total of 4 autoimmune diseases and I find that the less time spent in doctors offices, the better I do. Just do your utmost best to eat very gluten free, exercise and stop worrying about it!  The fact that your ANA and RF blood work are normal is HUGE!  That means little inflammation.  :)

kareng Grand Master

I agree with Gemini.  You are just making yourself anxious.

my hub's WBC is always just below " normal".  He rarely ( once every 2 or 3 years) gets sick.  That is normal for him.  It has been for years.

wbc can vary, a little,  in a person from one month to the next.  " normal", in a test, is a range that most people fall in.  For most blood tests, being a little over or a little under is not a big deal.  Probably why your docs didn't even mention it as a problem?

• 2 weeks later...
LookingforAnswers15 Enthusiast

Dear Kareng, Gemini, and Dee, thank you for your response! Gemini you were right, I needed to back away from my computer so that is why I have not been online for some time. Thanks again for being there for me.

Gemini Experienced

When you have autoimmune problems, it is best not to constantly look on-line and read too deeply into things because, quite honestly, it can freak you out.  Not everyone with AI problems will go on and develop really serious complications. Many people live quite normally and have few issues that arise.  I make it a personal decision to not go to the doctors that often.....only when needed and necessary. The AMA folks can be such downers and often, not too upbeat. Follow a strict gluten-free diet, get plenty of fresh air and exercise and these 2 things will do wonders at keeping you more positive. I can't say enough about getting enough exercise. It has made a huge difference for me and its been proven that it boosts the immune system into a happier place, not to mention what it does for your mental well being.  Everyone out there has some issue they deal with and this is common with life.

No hurry, no worry.......;)

Jamogie Newbie

I have also had leukopenia for years, as low as 2.9. I worked for a hematologist  and she was not concerned. I have celiac disease and have felt great since  my diagnosis  in 2008. I used to look things up online and it would create anxiety for me. Needless to say I have stopped but I definitely know where you are coming from. Happy New Year! 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived