This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Yeast Infections And Gluten Intolerence

danikali

Rusla Enthusiast
I have had recurrent yeast infections for 16 months straight - every single month :( I am profoundly saddened by this but don't know what to do anymore. I've done everything - every natural treatment (boric acid, probiotics, tea tree oil, grapefruit seed extract, anti-yeast combos, etc.) and a number of prescription methods too. Once I did Diflucan every third day for 6 weeks, and then every single day for 11 days then another on the 13th day. My (newest) doctor is now trying Lamisil because it's an anti-fungal that isn't completely absorbed and so a part of it goes through the intestines. But, after 3 weeks on that I've seen no change. Then he prescribed a gentamycin (an antibiotic) that I shoot into my mouth rather than inject (as was once done before horrible side effects showed up in a lot of people: "This medication may cause deafness. Deafness may not occur until after the medication is stopped :blink: ) - anyway, I'm doing that now - with Lamisil - AND I just finished (this morning) a potent course of prescription anti-parasite drugs (Tinidazole & Mebendazole). But - nothing is working :(

He put me on a diet of: poultry, fish, nuts, vegetables & fruits - nothing else. No grains, artificial sweetners, sugar, etc. Plus, I'm taking a ton of supplements. I've been on this diet since Oct. 18th (and the first few weeks I wasn't allowed fruit). I've questioned him on the fruit but he says it's fine - and when I searched peer reviewed nutritional articles, I found nothing associating fruit & candida. In fact, I even found one that showed that *sugar* had a negligible effect on intestinal candida. (The sample size was small though & on the research was on animals but..?)

So... *sigh* :(

I so often wish I could just get a hysterectomy or something to just take all of these infected organs out. Anyone know of a yeast-ectomy doctor?

Good luck with yours! And if anyone knows of anything that DOES work on *serious* yeast infections, please let me know :(

- Michelle

I had yeast infections constantly and would maybe have a couple of yeast free days a month. When I got the hysterectomy I would have a yeast infection maybe once a month for about 2 days. My Gyn told me that I was probably allergic to the yeast in my own body because that is usually what happens when someone has yeast infections all the time.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular
The only thing about getting it cultured is that I don't know what else they could try..?

One doctor did suggest (in April) that I have "vaginal eczema" - but I don't know that I believe this because (A) I don't have eczema anywhere else on my body, and (B) why would it suddenly show up *just in my vagina* when I'm 32 years old? I mean... what the hell?? Regardless, his belief was that I should use steroidal suppositories - for the rest of my life, I suppose. This does *not* seem like a good idea to me. Not only that - but it didn't work :(

There are a couple of very specific antifungals that they pretty much never use for vaginal yeast infections, because doctors assume it's always candida albicans (which is only true about 75% of the time, or so).

The eczema isn't necessarily a bad answer, and it can occur just in that one area, but there are other vulvar problems that cause the itching. You're making me think, more and more, that you should be evaluated for vulvodynia. If there is pain along with the itching, I doubly encourage it. Unfortunately, it's much like celiac in trying to find a doctor that knows of it, and way worse in finding ones that know how to properly treat it. (That's why I'll continue to see my doctor in San Diego, despite my 2 hour drive turning into two 2.5 hour plane rides and associated car rental and full day off of work.)

Archived