This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I'm 18 and just been diagnosed

Bessielad18

Bessielad18 Newbie

I'm from the uk and recently been diagnosed with celiac disease I'm just abit unsure about it all because I've had wheat all my life and now just one blood test found out that i had it. I was just wondering if the more I cut gluten out my diet do I become more sensitive and will I need cut products out which of been on the same production line as gluten?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Welcome to the forum!  Here is a link to our Newbie 101 section that you may find useful:

As far as shared manufacturing lines, I personally tend to avoid them.  The risk is not worth it.  

flowerqueen Community Regular

Hi, I'm also from the UK. The above links are very useful for newly diagnosed coeliacs but if you join Coeliac UK, you will also get a lot of help which is more relevant to UK and Europe. (e.g. Shopping for food and restaurants etc., as the laws have recently changed regarding food labelling and eating out in restaurants, fast food places and other things). Membership is free for the first six months after joining, to help you 'find your feet' so I would encourage you to contact them.  Their phone number is 0333 332 2033 or you can contact them by their website www.coeliac.org.uk they even advise doctors on Coeliac disease. 

You do need to cut out all gluten in order to get well; you could ask your doctor to refer you to a dietitian as well, they will help you with tips and advice.  Good luck.

cyclinglady Grand Master
2 hours ago, flowerqueen said:

Hi, I'm also from the UK. The above links are very useful for newly diagnosed coeliacs but if you join Coeliac UK, you will also get a lot of help which is more relevant to UK and Europe. (e.g. Shopping for food and restaurants etc., as the laws have recently changed regarding food labelling and eating out in restaurants, fast food places and other things). Membership is free for the first six months after joining, to help you 'find your feet' so I would encourage you to contact them.  Their phone number is 0333 332 2033 or you can contact them by their website www.coeliac.org.uk they even advise doctors on Coeliac disease. 

You do need to cut out all gluten in order to get well; you could ask your doctor to refer you to a dietitian as well, they will help you with tips and advice.  Good luck.

Flower Queen to the rescue!  Thanks!  

LookingforAnswers15 Enthusiast

Hi, I agree with Cyclinglady. As she said, it is not worth it. Also pay attention to different sources of hidden gluten (e.g. vitamins, sauces, frozen french fries). Also, for you it is important to pay a close attention to everything you eat that is even gluten free. Your body might react to things such as dairy, nightshades (potatoes, eggplant, tomatoes, peppers). You might not react but if you eat something like this and do not feel well, do not worry. You can get tested for food allergies/ intolerances (eggs, soy,etc). Even if it happens that milk bothers you, you can stop drinking it but reintroduce it later to diet after you have healed.

Try to avoid cross contamination (e.g. using same wooden cutting board that was used maybe for cutting bread, toaster, etc).

The UK has so many gluten free products. I happened to visit it just after I was diagnosed and I was sooo happy with the variety of bread that I was able to find just at Tesco. However, I would recommend not to go crazy eating all gluten free cookies, muffins, granola bars. I think I went overboard with that because I was so excited that I could buy that there. However, apart from possibly containing soy, eggs, milk, it is a lot of sugar that is definitely not healthy for us. However, you can buy awesome flour (not sure what it was called, there were white bags with blue and red writing. One of these bags (i think with blue writing but I am not sure) is great because whatever you make, you just need to add water, no need for baking powder, so it is so easy to use it). Good luck.

flowerqueen Community Regular

I agree with "Looking for answers" there is a lot of sugar in gluten free foods, there seems to be more substitute for sweet treats and deserts more than savoury.  I am still intolerant to all dairy products after a few years of gluten free eating, but I was ill for a very long time before getting a diagnosis, so I'm presuming that it takes longer to totally heal. 

You definitely need your own toaster, as crumbs will contaminate your bread if you use a toaster that a non-coeliac uses.  You also need your own spread/butter, jams etc., to prevent cross-contamination. All these things will be explained to you if you contact Coeliac UK. 

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Bessielad18,

You may not have real obvious symptoms from eating gluten.  Some people have no symptoms at all, others have severe symptoms.  Not having symptoms doesn't mean your body isn't being damaged.  Over time damage can become worse and symptoms can develop, including symptoms outside the gut, like joints, skin, brain/nerves, organs, etc.  Celiac damage makes it hard for the body to absorb nutrients so you may become deficient in vitamins and minerals.  Vitamin deficiencies can cause problems with healing and other symptoms.

Sometimes people are so used to their symptoms they don't realize they aren't normal.  After you have been gluten-free for a while you may find you have more energy and can sleep better, think more clearly and feel better.

IMHO it's not so much that we become more sensitive to gluten after going gluten-free, but we notice the symptoms more because we feel better and then get hit.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived