This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Culvers, Is it really gluten free?

glutenfreemomma188

glutenfreemomma188 Apprentice

Hey guys, 

I was informed by my sister in laws friend that Culvers near them serves food that is gluten free, her husband can eat it without any issue. I was hesitant to eat there because I was scared that I would get some sort of cross contamination, but I was actually surprised at how well they understood and made sure to take every precaution necessary. I never got sick and went back to that location another time. I had a craving for culvers last Tuesday and asked my husband if he wouldn't mind picking me up some but making sure to tell them to be extra careful because this was for a celiac. Now keep in mind that this was in a new location and I wasn't sure if they had the same strict policy or rules as the other Culvers does, but I was willing to trust them. Unfortunately, my husband came home with my bag and I was disappointed to find that instead of getting my order correct, it was completely messed up.  I received a hamburger with all the fixings minus the mayo, ketchup and mustard, they forgot my green beans, the bun was in it's own bag but was broken open and to top it off, they gave me mashed potatoes with gravy on it. I was very upset as you can imagine and gave them a call right away. I was nervous about eating the burger but decided to eat it anyways. 

On Wednesday, the following day, I had a really achy back. This achy back turned into an achy back and arms, then my whole body started aching. I then got chills and was horribly weak and sick. I had diarrea for 5 whole days. I went to the emergency room on the 4th day and was told that it was most likely the stomach flu and not celiacs (Because of the aches and chills), whether I got it from the burger or from somewhere else, I have no idea. But from this point on, I am completely afraid to go to any culvers again. 

My question is, how many of you trust Culvers with their gluten free meal?.  

• 4 weeks later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MindytheOrganist Enthusiast

Husband is Celiac.  I trust Culver's only if actually eating there, so we can correct things right away.  Have not had any trouble with them.

mommida Enthusiast

We have eaten Culver's 3 times now.  It has been a good experience. 

There is no ketchup, mustard, or mayo put on to save you from cross-contamination.  You should have received single serve packets.  From what I observed,  the buns are placed on a warming rack.  I had one bun out of 4 that the bag was open.  I examined the bun and the area where to hole was and the bun was not even dried out in that area.  So I think the bag broke open to vent while it was on the warmer.

I think the right thing to do is tell the business (any business)  what went wrong (as nice and professional as you can be).  The business then can fix the problem.  The business is open to make $$$, they have to know how to make customers happy to stay open. 

We need to have places to eat when we are traveling, and this shouldn't have to be over complicated to work into a fast food system.

TrueNorthMom Newbie

We eat at Culvers about once a month.  The kids love their gluten-free buns and ice cream :-)

Employees ask if it is allergy or preference.  Once the allergy is communicated, the manager handles the order.   They generally get it right!

Have they made mistakes?  They have added fries to our bag, which we just throw away and doesn't affect the rest of our order. Although it is a little annoying to smell french fries that we can't eat.  We have been glutenated once there in the past two years.  

• 3 years later...
Amandamolsen Newbie

They grill their gluten buns on the grill that they cook the burger patties on. I was just informed by a manager and that there is no way to clean or cook the patties without contamination. My 8year old got sick.