This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

living in a house with gluten

1398-Days

1398-Days Contributor

I've been gluten free for about five months and I've been doing SO much better. However, I've noticed that I've been feeling sick more often lately. But I've noticed that it only happens after I eat dinner. I'll feel fine all day, but after I eat dinner I get heartburn and feel sick and bloated all night. I usually just eat something quick for breakfast and lunch.. but the times that I decide to cook something I end up feeling sick afterwards. The thing is, I live with my parents who both eat gluten and aren't very careful about cross contamination. At first I thought my dad just wasn't being careful (he usually makes dinner) but I'm as careful as I can possibly be, and it still happens. I can't think of anything that would be making me sick besides the cookware. But I'm 17 and I can't afford to get my own stuff.. and my parents don't see a need to spend money on things we already have. How can I get them to see that this is making me sick? Also, can you get sick from CC from shared dish towels or sponges too? Anyway.. any help would be appreciated :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Darren Apprentice

Show them information from this site that says you should have seperate cooking utensils. Don't need anything fancy we got mine from the dollar store and they are the same colour which helps from someone using the wrong ones. Ask them to read the info. Your parents love you but they just don't have the knowledge yet. Help them learn. If that doesn't work show them my message and i will tell them that "YOUR CHILD NEEDS SEPERATE COOKING UTENSILS OR YOU ARE GOING TO CAUSE TO GET SERIOUSLY SICK AND LIFE THREATENING COMPLICATIONS!!!u"  Utensils are one of the first things to get when addressing celiac disease. Yes you should have seperate sponge because gluten sticks to everything. Wash dishes seperately too.  It's inconvenient but it's necessary. Also should have separate hand towel in kitchen.  Hope this helps....hang in there and good for you to reach out and ask for help! There is lots of info how to make your kitchen safer when sharing house with those that eat gluten. Google it and share with your parents. We had to do it and it's really not that bad once you adjust. Again, they love you but they need to learn so help them learn.

Gemini Experienced

I have to comment on some of Darren's suggestions for surviving in a non-gluten free kitchen. You do not need to use separate cooking utensils for cooking gluten free food unless the cooking utensil is porous in nature....like wooden spoons or plastic.  Those have to be dedicated for the gluten free eater.  If they are stainless steel or other metal type utensil, all they have to be is washed well....like anyone would do when washing dishes after eating. Ditto for cookware......stainless steel can be used for both gluten or non gluten foods, as long as they are washed well. You cannot use/share Teflon or any cookware that scratches easily.  Cast iron? Dedicated because it is not cleaned with soap. It is cleaned differently and seasoned so would have to be dedicated.

As for kitchen towels.....really?  Maybe if you do not clean and rinse dishes well, then you would have to but I assume soap is used and the dishes are rinsed in hot water so the need for a dedicated towel is not an issue. Ditto for the dishwasher....if the dishes are rinsed well before loading and running, no need to fear that one, either. Unless the OP's parents cannot or will not learn something new, and I tend to doubt that, having everything separate is not needed.

kareng Grand Master

I agree with Gemini.

One thing to consider - are you cooking your food with things that might have gluten crumbs in them?  Like a shared peanut butter jar or margarine tub?

Another thing to consider -How does what you are cooking differ from what you eat for lunch and breakfast? Is it spicier?  Have more fat?  Always contain cheese?  You might identify a food that is causing you problems

bartfull Rising Star

I think the thing about a kitchen towel is that people often dry their hands on them when they are cooking and there MIGHT be gluten on those hands.

OP, have you read the Newbie 101 thread in the coping section? If not you should, and you should also have your parents read it.

frieze Community Regular

if there has been flour used in the kitchen, anything that was exposed is suspect.  use your own towels, a fresh one every time.  

• 3 weeks later...
cap6 Enthusiast

Well, here's my two cents on this one.... 

Yes,  you can used shared stainless pots IF they are washed well in between uses. The only one I would not share is a pasta pot, even if run through the dishwasher as that pasta paste is sometimes very hard to completely remove. Run stuff through the dishwasher together, that's fine.   (Restaurants run everything through together - think that way)

Separate strainers, toaster, plastic or wood utensils!

I would use a separate towel & sponge.  And I say separate towel as too often a towel is left on the kitchen counter and it is grabbed for general wipe/toweling.  If you are just drying dishes then a common one is fine.  Buy some bright red ones for you. 

Separate butter, condiments, peanut butter.  Anything that can be double dipped into should be separate.   

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 1 year later...
tanya l Newbie

I am almost a year into my celiac diagnosis after 13 years of horrible health issues.  What I learned from my Naturopathic Doctor that was the most shocking is that gluten molecules~flour, can stay in the air for up to 48 hours, contaminating any foods you prepare and cook in that same space.  This can make you terribly sick regardless of the utensils and towels, of which you should definitely have separate.  I live with my husband and son and I can't take gluten away from them, they still get their bread and cookies~store bought, but any baking I do is with gluten free flours.  If they want fresh baked gluten filled treats there are oodles of options in cafes and bakeries.  They are aware of what needs to be done to keep from cross contaminating things in our kitchen but it is hard to remember all the details sometimes.  It is much easier and safer, to have your own condiments (or anything that is dipped into) and toaster and pans and utensils and probably towels too.  It is more expensive to start but it sure isn't any fun to suffer from someones accidental exposure....best wishes to you on your healing journey. 

Ennis-TX Grand Master
7 hours ago, tanya l said:

I am almost a year into my celiac diagnosis after 13 years of horrible health issues.  What I learned from my Naturopathic Doctor that was the most shocking is that gluten molecules~flour, can stay in the air for up to 48 hours, contaminating any foods you prepare and cook in that same space.  This can make you terribly sick regardless of the utensils and towels, of which you should definitely have separate.  I live with my husband and son and I can't take gluten away from them, they still get their bread and cookies~store bought, but any baking I do is with gluten free flours.  If they want fresh baked gluten filled treats there are oodles of options in cafes and bakeries.  They are aware of what needs to be done to keep from cross contaminating things in our kitchen but it is hard to remember all the details sometimes.  It is much easier and safer, to have your own condiments (or anything that is dipped into) and toaster and pans and utensils and probably towels too.  It is more expensive to start but it sure isn't any fun to suffer from someones accidental exposure....best wishes to you on your healing journey. 

Along with this  I always suggest freezer paper/butcher paper laid out for a clean prep surface. Also keeping everything separate where you can, using different drawers etc as crumbs can fall in them. Quick cheaper safe area can be created by setting up a small kitchen area somewhere else with a fold out table and some dedicated appliances start off with a microwave, you can get cookware from nordic ware for steaming, and cooking things, the omelette and egg cookers are great along with the grilling plates, PS the splatter covers are a life saver for many reasons. From there I would suggest a crockpot/ricecookier/steamer combo, toaster oven. and a griddle and your set for everything just about. New appliances are a must to prevent CC.

• 3 weeks later...
LilyR Rising Star

I am new to all this and have just gone gluten-free the past week.  My family is still eating gluten.  This is sounding so hard and confusing.  Also, we are on a very tight budget so to think about getting a new toaster, pans, utensils, not to mention how some of the gluten-free foods are so much more expensive.  

Are there any people here who have celiac and live with others who do use gluten products, and you don't have separate pans, toasters, utensils, etc. and you seem to be managing well?  At first I thought I could handle this, but the more I am reading, the more overwhelming and almost impossible this seems.  One relative told me I shouldn't be sleeping in the same bed with my gluten-eating husband.  I am hoping she was being totally absurd.  

I can understand not using regular wheat flour anymore.  That stuff does seem to always make a mess and get in the air.  But is it necessary for all celiacs to have their own non-stick skillet, toaster, pot, etc?  If so, that could take a while for me to be able to do all this.  We struggle financially as it is since I have not been able to work f/t for years now due to health issues.  I am waiting to see what further bloodwork is showing, do I have celiac for sure or maybe just gluten-sensitive.  I had epstein barr virus a long time ago and they are checking that again, and lupus, and all sorts of things.  I have been struggling with health issues since I was 18 (I;m in my 40's now).  But never had digestive issues until this past Feb. when it all just seemed to flare up. I've had a fever since then, bad bloat, stomach aches, lost weight, and  pain that was right above my stomach that sometimes goes into my back.  So far, being gluten-free for just one week, that pain has gone away.  But I'm still getting bloat and discomfort and fever.  My stomach dr said celiac doesn't cause fever, but the rheum dr I saw the other day said being an autoimmune disease, it could be attacking itself and gotten really bad.  Anyone else had a fever with their symptoms?

kareng Grand Master
34 minutes ago, LilyR said:

I am new to all this and have just gone gluten-free the past week.  My family is still eating gluten.  This is sounding so hard and confusing.  Also, we are on a very tight budget so to think about getting a new toaster, pans, utensils, not to mention how some of the gluten-free foods are so much more expensive.  

Are there any people here who have celiac and live with others who do use gluten products, and you don't have separate pans, toasters, utensils, etc. and you seem to be managing well?  At first I thought I could handle this, but the more I am reading, the more overwhelming and almost impossible this seems.  One relative told me I shouldn't be sleeping in the same bed with my gluten-eating husband.  I am hoping she was being totally absurd.  

I can understand not using regular wheat flour anymore.  That stuff does seem to always make a mess and get in the air.  But is it necessary for all celiacs to have their own non-stick skillet, toaster, pot, etc?  If so, that could take a while for me to be able to do all this.  We struggle financially as it is since I have not been able to work f/t for years now due to health issues.  I am waiting to see what further bloodwork is showing, do I have celiac for sure or maybe just gluten-sensitive.  I had epstein barr virus a long time ago and they are checking that again, and lupus, and all sorts of things.  I have been struggling with health issues since I was 18 (I;m in my 40's now).  But never had digestive issues until this past Feb. when it all just seemed to flare up. I've had a fever since then, bad bloat, stomach aches, lost weight, and  pain that was right above my stomach that sometimes goes into my back.  So far, being gluten-free for just one week, that pain has gone away.  But I'm still getting bloat and discomfort and fever.  My stomach dr said celiac doesn't cause fever, but the rheum dr I saw the other day said being an autoimmune disease, it could be attacking itself and gotten really bad.  Anyone else had a fever with their symptoms?

No.  You don't have to get new pans. Here's the basic principle behind some of this - even a tiny crumb will keep a Celiac from getting better.  So, going with that idea, there are a few things you can't share with gluten eaters.

Pasta colanders - you need one for the gluten pasta and one for non gluten pasta and rinsing fruit.  There is  to way to clean every little hole.

anything you double dip a knife in and spread on gluten bread - Pb, jelly, butter tubs, Mayo jars.  Getting squeeze ones helps as long as they don't touch the tip to their bread. I got some fun colored duct tape and put that on the top side of  my gluten-free PB/ butter, etc. 

toasters ($10 at Walmart) the crumbs!  Oh the crumbs!

anything that gluten was cooked  on that you can't get it off easily - cheap foil is your friend - you can put your food on it on a gluteny grill or cookie sheet.  You can clean grill racks in the oven on the oven self clean.  Then don't put buns on it again!

as for the husband - he needs to brush his teeth really well before he gives you a kiss on the lips.

the success of living with gluten eaters is to minimize the gluten mess.  If possible, keep their bread and toaster on a separate counter from your prep.  You might find it easier to go to the dollar store and get a few red spoons for cooking gluten free.  If you have to make 2 different pastas, it helps to have a gluten eater stir and taste thier own pot.  You keep your spoon in your hand.... the other secret is that the gluten eaters need to realize this is serious and be willing to help.  

Now....if you don't have Celiac, a few crumbs may not hurt you.....but they might.   That is something you will need to work out.

Ennis-TX Grand Master
1 hour ago, LilyR said:

Any crumb or residue is going to cause your antibodies to flare up, as I mentioned earlier cheap quick fixes are using paper and disposable utensils and plate ware, your own condiments are cheap just to get a second set mark them with a red band or tape around the neck so you and others know. Same with cooking tools just get another and put a band on it or get a certain color. Freezer paper over counter prep surfaces makes clean up really easy and gives you a safe prep surface. Foil in baking dishes and in the oven gives you a nice safe cook area. Crock pot liners  are a life saver, and you can get some cheap microwave cookware to steam, grill, baked, etc in the microwave with a safe zone. Look up nordicware for this. I have compiled a huge list of gluten free alternatives for foods, some are quite cheap like udis and lundberg has a ton of rice dishes you can fix up. Heck using this list you can convert the house over quite easy.

Taking care of this now will make your life easier this disease can cause other food allergies and intolerance issues to crop up as the damage builds. ..... I have it bad my diet is ALOT more expensive then most celiacs as I can not eat corn, fruit, carbs etc. HUGE list of no nos for me.

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/117090-gluten-free-food-alternatives-list/

Victoria1234 Experienced
38 minutes ago, kareng said:

No.  You don't have to get new pans. Here's the basic principle behind some of this - even a tiny crumb will keep a Celiac from getting better.  So, going with that idea, there are a few things you can't share with gluten eaters.

Pasta colanders - you need one for the gluten pasta and one for non gluten pasta and rinsing fruit.  There is  to way to clean every little hole.

anything you double dip a knife in and spread on gluten bread - Pb, jelly, butter tubs, Mayo jars.  Getting squeeze ones helps as long as they don't touch the tip to their bread. I got some fun colored duct tape and put that on the top side of  my gluten-free PB/ butter, etc. 

toasters ($10 at Walmart) the crumbs!  Oh the crumbs!

anything that gluten was cooked  on that you can't get it off easily - cheap foil is your friend - you can put your food on it on a gluteny grill or cookie sheet.  You can clean grill racks in the oven on the oven self clean.  Then don't put buns on it again!

as for the husband - he needs to brush his teeth really well before he gives you a kiss on the lips.

the success of living with gluten eaters is to minimize the gluten mess.  If possible, keep their bread and toaster on a separate counter from your prep.  You might find it easier to go to the dollar store and get a few red spoons for cooking gluten free.  If you have to make 2 different pastas, it helps to have a gluten eater stir and taste thier own pot.  You keep your spoon in your hand.... the other secret is that the gluten eaters need to realize this is serious and be willing to help.  

Now....if you don't have Celiac, a few crumbs may not hurt you.....but they might.   That is something you will need to work out.

I agree totally with Karen. It can be done on a budget. We do. Our trick is we don't buy much except for noodles that are from the gluten-free aisle. I mostly eat foods that are whole that my husband cooks for me. Mostly ethnic dishes actually that the whole family eats. I don't do the expensive gluten-free bread. I just can't enjoy it as it costs so much. So I eat tuna fish salad not sandwich, make an inexpensive trail mix and divvy it up for lunches, or have some leftovers. No need to buy all the gluten-free cookies and fancy things, lol. I didn't eat the gluten version of them before so I don't need them now, you know? I was one of the few people in America that wasn't having a love affair with bread luckily. I always ate the inside out of a sandwich and left the bread. I think I had toast once in my life and wasn't impressed. But if I don't get some rice noodles every once in awhile i will be sad ! But then again, most of the time we make spaghetti, I just get a bowl of sauce. We keep everything separate and labeled! It gets easier the longer you r at it too. 

Hope this helps a bit. If there's a way to save money I can probably suggest a way! Just ask!

LilyR Rising Star

I was thinking the colander could be a biggie.  I always hate washing those because it takes forever to get the starch off.  And if I am going to bother toasting anything, I guess a separate toaster makes sense too, since it seems to harbor crumbs. Until we get one, I might just not bother with toast or bread much.  I don't plan on buying much of the pre-made breads or cookies and such because they are so pricey, plus my dr told me they often contain ingredients that can bother some people, like xanthan gum and, I forget, I have written down a few other ingredients she said to avoid right now.  She also told me I might want to avoid corn for now too, until I heal.  Then see if it bothers me or not.  But I'd love to be able to afford some of the coconut and almond flours and such, at some point, to cook or bake with a little.  For now, probably not though.  Who knows, if I eventually feel better maybe I can start working again.  I am still waiting to hear back if I have celiac, or if maybe it's just a gluten sensitivity.  I have been tested for a bunch of other stuff too like lupus and epstein barrr virus.  I had that when I was 18 and was very sick a few years with it.  And I've had health issues ever since then.  I am hoping it's not still that though, because the dr said there is nothing they can do about that, 

But do we really need separate pots and fry pans and metal utensils?  (I could understand wooden and maybe even plastic ones, but even metal things?) So even if you scrub them well (metal pans and utensils) or put in the dish washer?  We barely have enough room in the cupboards to hold what we have now.  I guess if I have to, I will have to.  It just feels overwhelming.  And I literally can't afford to go buy even a cheap toaster and pan right now.  We are on the tightest budget.  I will look into getting a colander soon, although right now I am even avoiding the gluten free pastas, at least the ones that have corn flour.  Rice noodles are a maybe though.  I made spaghetti sauce the other night and put mine on cauliflower.  I had done that a few times in the past to avoid calories and I love it.  I almost don't miss the noodles.  The cauliflower has a sort of al dente texture and such a mild flavor, it's a great pasta substitute.

My dr also said to avoid white sugar and use honey and pure maple syrup instead, which is great, but that too is pricier.  Of course, the cheapest foods are often the most unhealthy.  So for now I'm trying to stick with naturally gluten-free foods, like carrots, potatoes, green beans, (veggies in general), chicken is always on sale, and other meats.  I was in the mood for something sweet the other day so got a hershey bar.  Sure, it's got white sugar but it was a treat. Tasted so good.  But now this morning I tried making pancakes with banana and eggs, and that was so good and sweet, even with nothing on them.  So now I know that is a cheap sweet treat when in the mood, and healthy. 

I appreciate all the advice and help.  I sure hope my dr calls soon with the bloodwork he was testing for other markers since the celiac test came back a low positive.  So far, being gluten-free for a little over a week, the pain I was having right above my stomach has been gone,  but I still get bloat and discomfort (bloats right up under my rib cage, and stomach sticks out sometimes I look pregnant), and some stomach pains once in a while.  But I understand it can take time to feel better, and who knows, maybe I am having cross-contamination in my kitchen, and will have to start having hubby kiss me on the cheek if he hasn't brushed his teeth.  Great point!  He comes home and has a beer and them kisses me.  I miss being able to have a sip of his beer, but I better not even have those beer kisses!   How crazy is this celiac, huh?  But I just keep trying to focus on all the foods I can have.  Count my blessings.  Price Chopper had sirloin steaks on sale for 2.99 a pound (saving $4 a pound) so we had that for dinner the other night.  It was so good.   

Ennis-TX Grand Master
50 minutes ago, LilyR said:

I was thinking the colander could be a biggie.  I always hate washing those because it takes forever to get the starch off.  And if I am going to bother toasting anything, I guess a separate toaster makes sense too, since it seems to harbor crumbs. Until we get one, I might just not bother with toast or bread much.  I don't plan on buying much of the pre-made breads or cookies and such because they are so pricey, plus my dr told me they often contain ingredients that can bother some people, like xanthan gum and, I forget, I have written down a few other ingredients she said to avoid right now.  She also told me I might want to avoid corn for now too, until I heal.  Then see if it bothers me or not.  But I'd love to be able to afford some of the coconut and almond flours and such, at some point, to cook or bake with a little.  For now, probably not though.  Who knows, if I eventually feel better maybe I can start working again.  I am still waiting to hear back if I have celiac, or if maybe it's just a gluten sensitivity.  I have been tested for a bunch of other stuff too like lupus and epstein barrr virus.  I had that when I was 18 and was very sick a few years with it.  And I've had health issues ever since then.  I am hoping it's not still that though, because the dr said there is nothing they can do about that, 

But do we really need separate pots and fry pans and metal utensils?  (I could understand wooden and maybe even plastic ones, but even metal things?) So even if you scrub them well (metal pans and utensils) or put in the dish washer?  We barely have enough room in the cupboards to hold what we have now.  I guess if I have to, I will have to.  It just feels overwhelming.  And I literally can't afford to go buy even a cheap toaster and pan right now.  We are on the tightest budget.  I will look into getting a colander soon, although right now I am even avoiding the gluten free pastas, at least the ones that have corn flour.  Rice noodles are a maybe though.  I made spaghetti sauce the other night and put mine on cauliflower.  I had done that a few times in the past to avoid calories and I love it.  I almost don't miss the noodles.  The cauliflower has a sort of al dente texture and such a mild flavor, it's a great pasta substitute.

My dr also said to avoid white sugar and use honey and pure maple syrup instead, which is great, but that too is pricier.  Of course, the cheapest foods are often the most unhealthy.  So for now I'm trying to stick with naturally gluten-free foods, like carrots, potatoes, green beans, (veggies in general), chicken is always on sale, and other meats.  I was in the mood for something sweet the other day so got a hershey bar.  Sure, it's got white sugar but it was a treat. Tasted so good.  But now this morning I tried making pancakes with banana and eggs, and that was so good and sweet, even with nothing on them.  So now I know that is a cheap sweet treat when in the mood, and healthy. 

I appreciate all the advice and help.  I sure hope my dr calls soon with the bloodwork he was testing for other markers since the celiac test came back a low positive.  So far, being gluten-free for a little over a week, the pain I was having right above my stomach has been gone,  but I still get bloat and discomfort (bloats right up under my rib cage, and stomach sticks out sometimes I look pregnant), and some stomach pains once in a while.  But I understand it can take time to feel better, and who knows, maybe I am having cross-contamination in my kitchen, and will have to start having hubby kiss me on the cheek if he hasn't brushed his teeth.  Great point!  He comes home and has a beer and them kisses me.  I miss being able to have a sip of his beer, but I better not even have those beer kisses!   How crazy is this celiac, huh?  But I just keep trying to focus on all the foods I can have.  Count my blessings.  Price Chopper had sirloin steaks on sale for 2.99 a pound (saving $4 a pound) so we had that for dinner the other night.  It was so good.   

It is the scratches in them that harbor gluten, if you want you can try to scrub them out some people have success, if you can put it in the oven on self clean over 500F that will do it. (Gluten is a protein like blood, you have to destroy the protein, it is not a germ or bacteria to be disinfected off).  I have a VERY CHEAP flat bread recipe I posted in the recipe section and some other recipes for cheesy bread etc. Go check out luckyvitamin.com for coconut flour 3lbs organic gluten-free flour for under $10 last you a long time (Nutiva Brand). Rice is a cheap carb choice, and they make cheap rice cookers, and stuff to cook rice in a microwave (crock pot liners and conggee or riscotto in a overnight recipe look them up) As for beer alternatives I use Austins Ciders in cooking sometimes and Rums (I can not drink for other reasons) As for corn free starch free xantham free breads Julian Bakery makes some but they are very expensive. I use them for a treat but been using my flat bread recipe.

Flat Bread Base

120g egg whites (about 4 large/jumbo whites)
14g coconut flour (about 2 tbsp)

1. Preheat pan on low heat and oil it
2. Whisk ingredients well add seasonings like sweetener for a sweet version, or herbs for what ever flavor you want (comment on what works and give ideas)
3. Pour in pan coating the bottom of the pan, cook covered for 4-5mins then flip it and cook another 2-3 mins.

Very versatile recipe, I find pizza seasons and herbs make a pizza crust, a garlic/parsley/chive version makes a good flat bread, add a tbsp or 2 of sweetener like maple and a 1 tsp of baking powder for a bit of a pancake mix. Adding a 1/2-1tsp of psyllium husk can make it hold up better if you want something firmer also adjusting the flour up.

I honestly Make this in batches cut it into 4ths and store in the freezer then reheat on a pizza stone and make pizza on them or in the toaster.

Stews in a crockpot in huge batches with meats and veggies will be a life saver for you, I used to do it all the time and can the soup in wide mouth 2 cup mason jars for meals when ever cheap. PS if you miss corn chips Beanitos, BeanFields, work good and if you do not mind a acquired taste I been using Protes chips which are a grain free low carb chip alternative.

kareng Grand Master
2 hours ago, LilyR said:

You will find that some people may go a bit over board. You will also find there are Celiacs that are not careful enough - eating fries from a shared with gluten onion ring fryer, that sort of thing

Like I said before, if you can clean it well - its fine.  I share metal pans with gluten eaters.  If I feel I can't hand wash it well, I put it in the dishwasher.  The argument that gluten is in the cracks is true - up to a point.  It isn't a never ending source of gluten - So. once you wash it out - its not going to keep coming out.  The colander is the thing - I know people use them for rinsing beans or fruit, too.  So maybe get one in a different color and make it for gluten-free pasta and gluten-free foods like the fruit. 

you can buy a thing called a toaster bag.  It is an envelope that lets you put pizza in the toaster.  It works well for gluten-free bread in a shared toaster.  You can make one with parchment paper, too.  

I don't see how the sugar in honey will be any better than white sugar.  

squirmingitch Veteran

Parchment paper & tin foil can be a celiac's best friend. As far as not getting another toaster right away, parchment paper on the rack of the oven, lay the gluten-free bread on that & you will have to turn it over & brown the other side at some point. Keep the microwave clean especially on the ceiling or else cover everything you put in there so gluten splatters don't fall into your food. I have stainless pot & pans & although I have a gluten-free household, I wouldn't worry about using my stainless for gluten & then washing & using for gluten-free. Just be sure to wash them well. Scratched teflon is a no-no. Wooden spoons are a no-no. Get a new colander for your use only. You get the top shelves of the fridge & freezer, that way gluten crumbs don't fall down onto your gluten-free foods. Metal spoons & cooking utensils are fine - just scrub them well. Cutting boards...... wooden is filled with gluten so no using that one. Get your own cutting board & NO ONE ELSE uses it. Generally, you can get some of the ones that are thin & roll up at the dollar store. I used to be a beekeeper & adore honey but the stuff is expensive to buy. Seriously, I'm not dead yet & the dh & I go through a 4 lb. bag of white sugar a week. Sweet iced tea should explain that usage. LOL! We are southerners after all. 

LilyR Rising Star
20 hours ago, Ennis_TX said:

It is the scratches in them that harbor gluten, if you want you can try to scrub them out some people have success, if you can put it in the oven on self clean over 500F that will do it. (Gluten is a protein like blood, you have to destroy the protein, it is not a germ or bacteria to be disinfected off).  I have a VERY CHEAP flat bread recipe I posted in the recipe section and some other recipes for cheesy bread etc. Go check out luckyvitamin.com for coconut flour 3lbs organic gluten-free flour for under $10 last you a long time (Nutiva Brand). Rice is a cheap carb choice, and they make cheap rice cookers, and stuff to cook rice in a microwave (crock pot liners and conggee or riscotto in a overnight recipe look them up) As for beer alternatives I use Austins Ciders in cooking sometimes and Rums (I can not drink for other reasons) As for corn free starch free xantham free breads Julian Bakery makes some but they are very expensive. I use them for a treat but been using my flat bread recipe.

Flat Bread Base

120g egg whites (about 4 large/jumbo whites)
14g coconut flour (about 2 tbsp)

1. Preheat pan on low heat and oil it
2. Whisk ingredients well add seasonings like sweetener for a sweet version, or herbs for what ever flavor you want (comment on what works and give ideas)
3. Pour in pan coating the bottom of the pan, cook covered for 4-5mins then flip it and cook another 2-3 mins.

Very versatile recipe, I find pizza seasons and herbs make a pizza crust, a garlic/parsley/chive version makes a good flat bread, add a tbsp or 2 of sweetener like maple and a 1 tsp of baking powder for a bit of a pancake mix. Adding a 1/2-1tsp of psyllium husk can make it hold up better if you want something firmer also adjusting the flour up.

I honestly Make this in batches cut it into 4ths and store in the freezer then reheat on a pizza stone and make pizza on them or in the toaster.

Stews in a crockpot in huge batches with meats and veggies will be a life saver for you, I used to do it all the time and can the soup in wide mouth 2 cup mason jars for meals when ever cheap. PS if you miss corn chips Beanitos, BeanFields, work good and if you do not mind a acquired taste I been using Protes chips which are a grain free low carb chip alternative.

Thanks for all the ideas.  I was thinking soup would be a good thing to make and freeze in small batches for me.  Your flat bread recipe sounds good.  I am writing all this down.  Thanks for the link to luckyvitamins.com   I'll check that out.  Speaking of vitamins, I might need to check out  new supplements too, I don't know.  I just started taking my D and magnesium pills again two nights ago (I take them after dinner). But the past two nights I had worse symptoms (not extreme, but unpleasant enough).  I also had stuffed peppers the past two nights for dinner.  So now I am trying to figure out if it was the peppers, or the vitamin supplements.  The supplements contain soy, and my dr said I might want to go easy on soy.  So I have no idea....I guess I'll stop taking the pills for a few days, then try them again and see what happens.  And I'll try peppers again in a few weeks and see what happens.  

I love beans and did have a bean chip once, not sure if it was those Beanitos or not.  But my dr also said not to have legumes much since they are very gassy and cause bloat, which is a bummer because I love cooking with different beans.  Going gluten free is hard, but then when the dr says to also avoid corn products, legumes, soy, and a few other ingredients, it's like, oh lovely.  I wonder once I get better if I can have those things maybe in moderation.  I hope so. I'll go check out the recipe section here.  I am working on a grocery list today. 

LilyR Rising Star
19 hours ago, kareng said:

You will find that some people may go a bit over board. You will also find there are Celiacs that are not careful enough - eating fries from a shared with gluten onion ring fryer, that sort of thing

Like I said before, if you can clean it well - its fine.  I share metal pans with gluten eaters.  If I feel I can't hand wash it well, I put it in the dishwasher.  The argument that gluten is in the cracks is true - up to a point.  It isn't a never ending source of gluten - So. once you wash it out - its not going to keep coming out.  The colander is the thing - I know people use them for rinsing beans or fruit, too.  So maybe get one in a different color and make it for gluten-free pasta and gluten-free foods like the fruit. 

you can buy a thing called a toaster bag.  It is an envelope that lets you put pizza in the toaster.  It works well for gluten-free bread in a shared toaster.  You can make one with parchment paper, too.  

I don't see how the sugar in honey will be any better than white sugar.  

I did hear about fryers, like at restaurants,  might cross-contaminate.  That is something I never would have thought of.   I definitely need to get a new colander asap.  I'll have to be careful with pans, or eventually work on buying a few for me.  I've never heard of toaster bags, what a neat idea.  I do have some parchment paper. 

As for the honey, I guess it should be a good honey like from a health food store, unprocessed.  It's a natural sugar.  But the cheaper honey on the grocery store shelves is over-processed and not so healthy, apparently.  I used to use unprocessed honey years ago because I heard it helped allergies, but it is pricier, and once our budget got too tight, I stopped getting it. 

LilyR Rising Star
11 hours ago, squirmingitch said:

Parchment paper & tin foil can be a celiac's best friend. As far as not getting another toaster right away, parchment paper on the rack of the oven, lay the gluten-free bread on that & you will have to turn it over & brown the other side at some point. Keep the microwave clean especially on the ceiling or else cover everything you put in there so gluten splatters don't fall into your food. I have stainless pot & pans & although I have a gluten-free household, I wouldn't worry about using my stainless for gluten & then washing & using for gluten-free. Just be sure to wash them well. Scratched teflon is a no-no. Wooden spoons are a no-no. Get a new colander for your use only. You get the top shelves of the fridge & freezer, that way gluten crumbs don't fall down onto your gluten-free foods. Metal spoons & cooking utensils are fine - just scrub them well. Cutting boards...... wooden is filled with gluten so no using that one. Get your own cutting board & NO ONE ELSE uses it. Generally, you can get some of the ones that are thin & roll up at the dollar store. I used to be a beekeeper & adore honey but the stuff is expensive to buy. Seriously, I'm not dead yet & the dh & I go through a 4 lb. bag of white sugar a week. Sweet iced tea should explain that usage. LOL! We are southerners after all. 

That's a good idea using tin foil and parchment.  There is so  much to think about that the dr's don't tell you, like about utensils and pans and such.  I better get a new cheap non-stick pan soon too, I guess.  Ugh! But I should count my blessings and try and look at the positive side of things.  

I think I am going to end up having sugar sometimes....unless I find out that is really bothering me, because with all these limitations, it's nice to have a sweet treat once in a while.  I had a Hershey milk chocolate bar the other day, and it sure tasted good.  I like a little sugar in my coffee too.  I gave up the sugar in it the past week, but this morning I woke up achy from head to toe on this rainy morning, and I caved in and put some sugar in my coffee, and it tasted so good.  I like a little sugar in hot tea, but for some reason I like iced tea with no sugar, just lemon.  I do hear of sweet tea in the south a lot.  It always sounds like a nice traditional drink.  I think some of the hardest things to give up going gluten-free are a few of the traditional things I've grown up with since a child.  Certain things my great-aunt cooked, my mother cooked, I grew up and started cooking for my family.  Like come this Christmas, the traditional cookies that aren't just a food. They sort of feel like my past, a part of our family, our roots, you know?  

Ennis-TX Grand Master
21 minutes ago, LilyR said:

That's a good idea using tin foil and parchment.  There is so  much to think about that the dr's don't tell you, like about utensils and pans and such.  I better get a new cheap non-stick pan soon too, I guess.  Ugh! But I should count my blessings and try and look at the positive side of things.  

I think I am going to end up having sugar sometimes....unless I find out that is really bothering me, because with all these limitations, it's nice to have a sweet treat once in a while.  I had a Hershey milk chocolate bar the other day, and it sure tasted good.  I like a little sugar in my coffee too.  I gave up the sugar in it the past week, but this morning I woke up achy from head to toe on this rainy morning, and I caved in and put some sugar in my coffee, and it tasted so good.  I like a little sugar in hot tea, but for some reason I like iced tea with no sugar, just lemon.  I do hear of sweet tea in the south a lot.  It always sounds like a nice traditional drink.  I think some of the hardest things to give up going gluten-free are a few of the traditional things I've grown up with since a child.  Certain things my great-aunt cooked, my mother cooked, I grew up and started cooking for my family.  Like come this Christmas, the traditional cookies that aren't just a food. They sort of feel like my past, a part of our family, our roots, you know?  

I hear you on these, I can no have sugar, fruit, or carbs due to my UC. Been using sugar subs and avoiding flare ups. I think your doctor just wants you to avoid high glycemic sugars right now and stuff that your gut bacteria might go a bit crazy on fermenting and making you bloat. Try lower glycemic sweeteners like coconut sugar (deep nutty flavor compliments coffee), coconut nectar. and some sugar free options like stevia. and monk fruit >.> I LOVE monk fruit sweetener and blend from Lakanto and Swirve sweeteners. Sugar alcohols can take some getting used to and give some people a laxative effect if they jump into them.

I know I recently and sometimes bring back my old family dishes. My mothers Mexican squash soup recipe always brings tears to my eyes, and I will never be able to have my grandmas tamales or any for that matter ever again. I do sometimes make her salsa, and I found using miracle rice I can make a no carb mexican fried rice like my mothers and enjoy it again. I recently found a spiced extract....taste just like my late grandmothers spice cakes.....holy crap I put it in everything for week and me and my mother were crying eating foods I made with it SOO nostalgic.

On your note about supplements common issues with celiac are magnesium and B-vitamins, iron, folate, D, and E etc. I have a list where some of us have chipped in what we do to maintain our odd bodies. Lucky Vitamin is a good source for many of them. On magnesium there are 2 forms you want to use either a citrate or glcyinate version. Doctors best is really easy on the stomach, and you measure it out and drink it in a juice is my best suggestion. Or Natural Vitality Calm is a citrate which can be harsh on the gut and you need to start off with really small doses of 1/4tsp then work up til you find your range. I always suggest powdered and liquid forms of magnesium and b vitamins as you can adjust your dose to find what works best for you.

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/116482-supplement-and-foods-you-take/

LilyR Rising Star

Thanks for that link to what people have had success with in their diet.   That gives me some good ideas on vitamin supplements.  

I'm glad you found that spice extract.  Anything that has that nostalgic, family feeling to it will be treasured, for sure. 

tanya l Newbie

It is a challenge, surely.  Everyone is different in their symptoms and diagnosis, and each healing journey is a little different.  It helped me to read these posts and know that there is life with gluten around, once the healing began.  

Because I was feeling so terrible, we had to eliminate gluten from our kitchen entirely, I too had numerous food allergies and was on an extremely restrictive diet for months.   I was so very fortunate enough to have the help of my Mother to come and help clean out all the gluten items from my kitchen after my diagnosis, she also helped pay for new pans and cookware.  It has been a process, we started with a clean slate, completely gluten free, then slowly added gluten things in for my husband and son to have around the house.  Soon after we started adding things in, I started getting dermatitis herpetiformis on my elbows and knees, which I understand is from gluten exposure.  This told me that I was sensitive to having it around even if I am not eating it, since when I eat it, my symptoms are hugely digestive with some brain fog, arthritic pain and extreme fatigue.  We tightened up how we handled the gluten in the house and things have improved.  

From what I have learned, some people cannot have it around them in the house at all, and some can, as some will be able to walk past the bake shop in the grocery store and others can't go near it with out a major reaction.  We have to learn our own individual level of sensitivity, and that will take time.  

One other thing I have learned is that even the various meats that I used to get from the meat department at our local grocer I can no longer enjoy.  They have seasonings in the department for making various things like meatloaf and such...these seasonings, I found after asking the department manager, are not gluten free.  I realized this after I continued to feel bad even after eliminating all other sources of gluten that I was aware of.  Once I stopped using meats from there and making sure the prepackaged meat states that it is gluten free, or I have called the producer of the item to verify their facilities process.  This goes back to that gluten 'dust' in the air that can contaminate your food.  Perhaps you will be able to use the meat that is exposed in this manner, but if your symptoms don't improve, don't forget to look at this aspect of your diet.  And the labels of your foods must be read in detail if you are extremely sensitive, it may say gluten free in big bold print, then in the tiny print on the bottom back, it says 'processed in a facility that uses wheat'...this item may trigger a reaction.  

This is so daunting and overwhelming, and can be expensive~how far you have to go depends a little on your symptoms.  For me I had to remember that it will take time (I am not very patient with this).  I did clear out all the gluten items at once, but purchased foods a little at a time to replenish things that I lost.  Starting with necessities and then slowing adding in more spices, sauces and various mixes to try after getting good feedback from others who had used it.  Save ALL of your receipts, if you end up being able to itemize your medical expenses at the end of the year, there are tax deductions for celiacs, which can help.  Groceries count, though it is another time consuming process to utilize those deductions.  

Thank you all for your feedback on these issues, you have helped me through this process to try to find a balance point.  

Archived