This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Advice on reintroducing dairy.

Chibiehotaru

Chibiehotaru Newbie

Hello, 

I am currently 20 months, 1 day gluten-free. I stopped consuming dairy a few weeks after going gluten-free when I realized I was having lingering symptoms. Since going gluten-free dairy-free each day has been a day closer to feeling like my old self. As a child never had any issues with gluten or dairy. It wasn't until a year before my blood test/endoscopy that I began getting sick or noticing any issues. Diaherria, nausea, abdominal pain like I ate a sparkler, shaking and trembling. My whole experience before going gluten free was a nightmare. That year I lived in fear of leaving my home because I would be so sick and restroom hopping and uncomfortable at work. As of now, I m doing much better. I can tolerate things I couldn't following my diagnosis... Orange juice, coffee, salsa... And have gained 10 pounds back. I do miss cheese dearly but am afraid to try and see if I can tolerate dairy again. Is there anyone who can give any advice about reintroducing dairy? When is the best time to try? Should I wait I until I hit my 2 year mark? Any advice, successful or unsuccessful stories would be much appreciated so I can decide what the next step is for me... Or if I will even make a step. That ks in advance. ~Nora.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

I can!  

Start with hard cheeses, then yogurt/butter, soft cheeses and finally milk/cream.  Start slowly and build.  Give yourself time to get your body to release the enzymes necessary to digest lactose.  Certified gluten-free enzymes for lactose can help the transition.  Lactose free milk and ice cream are helpful too.  Remember, that genetically some of us are predisposed to being lactose intolerant no matter what (e.g. aging, race).  

I wish you success!  

Wildflower Morning Newbie

You should be able to slowly reintroduce dairy at this point if your problem is lactose intolerance.  If you have a milk protein (usually casein, but occasionally whey) intolerance, then you might not be able to reintroduce--now or ever.  If you follow cyclinglady's schedule and can't even get past the hard cheeses (cheese is almost all casein with very little lactose), it might give you cause to suspect the problem is casein related.  If, however, you breeze past the hard cheeses and only start to have trouble with the "milkier" items (softer cheeses, ice cream, milk, for sure, etc.) then the issue is probably lactose and should resolve with time.

cyclinglady Grand Master
9 minutes ago, Wildflower Morning said:

You should be able to slowly reintroduce dairy at this point if your problem is lactose intolerance.  If you have a milk protein (usually casein, but occasionally whey) intolerance, then you might not be able to reintroduce--now or ever.  If you follow cyclinglady's schedule and can't even get past the hard cheeses (cheese is almost all casein with very little lactose), it might give you cause to suspect the problem is casein related.  If, however, you breeze past the hard cheeses and only start to have trouble with the "milkier" items (softer cheeses, ice cream, milk, for sure, etc.) then the issue is probably lactose and should resolve with time.

Thanks for clarifying!  How could I forget about milk protein issues?  :huh:

Chibiehotaru Newbie

Good morning! Thank you both for replying to my post. I am able to drink coffee-mate creamer (powder kind) and on the ingredients list it says "contains a milk derivative" and it says it contains sodium caseinate a milk derivative. But it does say non-dairy and lactose free on the side of the container. I am hopeful that I can reintroduce dairy. I have a 4 day weekend coming up next week and I am going to try a piece of hard cheese and slowly saver it and sit at home and anxiously anticipate the result. I will post to let you know how it goes. Again, thank you for your time and advice! ?

cap6 Enthusiast

It was almost 2 years before I could manage any dairy.  At almost 6 years I still can't manage much - and I am a cheese lover too!   A very (very very) small dish of ice cream every few months is about all I can do in the ice cream dept.  I can do cheese in a dish, like tacos or stuffed potato and a piece or so here and there. We used to do cheese & crackers for a quick lunch when we were traveling & driving but that's too much cheese now.  So, I settle for a cheesy dish and a piece here and there.   And yes, I agree, start with a small piece or so of hard cheese and see how it goes.  Scary to take that first bite tho isn't it!!! 

Chibiehotaru Newbie

I am very nervous to try cheese. I've been thinking about maybe grating a little bit up and putting them over some corn chips and have a little mini nachos. Lol. I will savor the bites and just wait to see what my body does. I know everyone is different and there are some who can reintroduce and some who can't from what I've read and there are people like you Cap6 who can eat very little. I appreciate your feedback!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Pauliewog Contributor

just out of curiosity, can you try something like goat cheese? or something made from sheep's milk? It might give you the satisfaction of cheese without the dairy issue.

kareng Grand Master
3 hours ago, Pauliewog said:

just out of curiosity, can you try something like goat cheese? or something made from sheep's milk? It might give you the satisfaction of cheese without the dairy issue.

Sheep and goat's milk still contain  lactose, if that is the issue.

Archived