This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is it worth treating symptoms of glutening?

melprkr

melprkr Rookie

I was diagnosed Celiac in June 2015 and have been trying to make this gluten free diet work as well as possible.  I have just had a round of antibiotics for a bad tooth, my son broke his arm and during the trip to the ER, we stopped and I was glutened by what I think was cross contamination from some fries because it was late and the place was getting ready to close.  Mind you all of this was about 4-5 weeks ago and I am still feeling the effects.  Mostly from the anxiety and the not wanting to eat.  I was just curious if it is worth treating the symptoms that go along with the glutening or does it help at all?  I have seen some who say it is and some who say not but I would like honest opinions here.  This is the worst glutening I have had by far and am really hoping things get better soon.  Any information ya'll can give me will be a big help.  I have read and read and read until I can't read anymore but most of it is from way back.  I know things change and the way people look at things change so any advice will be more than useful to me right now.  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Sorry to hear about your glutening.  I can only offer time and patience.  It took me three months to recover from my last glutening (my GI ordered an antibodies test because I was so bad) .  Six months to gain back the weight I lost.  

I have not eaten outside of my house since July.  Seriously.  No restaurant is worth the risk for me except for one that is 100% gluten free.  Take that back.  I had a gluten free Thanksgiving with family.   I will probably re-consider when I next go on vacation abroad.  Hopefully, like childbirth, I will have forgotten my pain.  

Anyway, I suggest that you always carry emergency food with you.  I just grabbed a banana yesterday at Walmart to add to my gluten-free nut bar and applesauce.  It was not the best lunch, but heck, I am not sick today!   

melprkr Rookie

Thank you for the advice cycling lady.  Where I live there are no such things as gluten free restaurants except of course my home.  Have you found that each glutening is worse than the last?  I am trying to eat at least every few hours to at least give my system a chance to heal. I have found the anxiety isn't near as bad after I eat.

Jays911 Contributor

I guess we are blessed here in Omaha. There are safe, gluten-free options at restaurants all over the place. Most are sit down types, but there are chain options as well. Schlotzsky's, Jason's Deli, Panera, Tom-Chee. 

As to deals not with glutening, when it does happen, I find drinks no extra water helps. As does a bland diet for a few days. 

Blessings 

Onefootwonder Newbie

Sorry to hear about this.  It is hard to find places to eat but start slow and do research on restaurants.  My husband and teenage kids call places and ask to speak with managers prior to us trying.  Don't be afraid to ask questions or leave if you feel nervous.  Look into apps that can give suggestions but better yet reviews.

Just a thought were the antibiotics gluten-free?  This might have made things worse. Good luck.

notme Experienced

as far as the symptoms being worse the longer you are gluten-free, here is my theory:

when you were sick, (before your dx), you didn't get symptoms all at once - over time, and as your body was getting more damaged, gluten sneaked up on us - first, our guts hurt, then the big D, then headaches, etc and little by little, we eventually felt like a truck hit us.  (i was undiagnosed for 25 years :(  ) every day, getting a little worse....   then we go gluten free, and our body feels better, it might take a little while, but wow what a difference!  then we get glutened - pow - we are back to where we felt terrible again.  but, this time, it's not gradual, it's all at once (and we know what it is) so it feels like that truck hit you again.  i never felt any worse getting glutened after going gluten-free than i ever felt before i was diagnosed (but i had to think about it really hard, because it really does feel worse, lolz) it's like going back to my pre dx 'normal' ?  does that make any sense ?

i drink lots of water, cancel things, eat plain 'clean' foods, stay close to the bed and the bathroom....   (for 14 days ugh)  everybody is different.   i hope you feel better soon.  

• 1 month later...
GFinDC Veteran

French fries or any fried foods at a restaurant are risky.  Sometimes there is only one fryer and they use it for breaded foods.  So the oil is contaminated with gluten.  Even if they have multiple fryers unless they dedicate one fryer to gluten-free only it's no help.  Sometimes side dishes are a better bet.  Creamed corn or green beans, fruit etc.

Pepto Bismol is my go to for symptoms, plus peppermint tea and aspirin.  It's good to stick with a whole foods for the most part.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Demandcpm
    Newest Member
    Demandcpm
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Zackery Brian
      I'm sorry to hear about the challenges you've been facing with your health. Dealing with celiac disease and multiple food sensitivities can indeed be overwhelming. Here are a few thoughts and suggestions based on your experience and the replies you've received: Confirming Diagnosis: It's great that your gastroenterologist confirmed your celiac disease diagnosis through additional tests. Understanding the specifics of your condition can help tailor your approach to managing it more effectively. Food Sensitivity Testing: While blood tests for food sensitivities can provide some insights, they may not always be completely accurate. As mentioned by others, false positives are common, and individual responses to specific foods can vary. Discussing your test results and symptoms with a healthcare professional knowledgeable about celiac disease and food sensitivities can help clarify your situation. Research and Education: Exploring conditions like Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS) and histamine intolerance could shed further light on your symptoms and provide additional avenues for managing your health. Gathering information from reliable sources and discussing your findings with your healthcare team can help you make informed decisions about your care. Dietary Management: Managing celiac disease and multiple food sensitivities can be challenging, but finding a balance that works for you is crucial. Working with a dietitian who specializes in celiac disease and food intolerances can help you develop a personalized dietary plan that meets your nutritional needs while minimizing symptoms. Stress Management: Chronic pain and health issues can take a toll on mental and emotional well-being. Finding healthy coping strategies to manage stress, such as mindfulness, relaxation techniques, or engaging in activities you enjoy, may help improve your overall quality of life. Remember, you're not alone in your journey, and seeking support from healthcare professionals, support groups, or online communities can provide valuable encouragement and guidance.
    • Fluka66
      Thank you very much for your reply. I hadn't heard of celiac disease but began to notice a pattern of pain. I've been on the floor more than once with agonising pain but this was always put down to another abdominal problem consequently I've been on a roundabout of backwards and forwards with another consultant for many years. I originally questioned this diagnosis but was assured it was the reason for my pain. Many years later the consultant gave up and I had a new GP. I started to cut out certain food types ,reading packets then really started to cut out wheat and went lactose free. After a month I reintroduced these in one meal and ended screaming in agony the tearing and bloating pain. With this info and a swollen lymph node in my neck I went back to the GP.  I have a referral now . I have also found out that acidic food is causing the terrible pain . My thoughts are this is irritating any ulcers. I'm hoping that after a decade the outlook isn't all bad. My blood test came back with a high marker but I didn't catch what it was. My GP and I have agreed that I won't go back on wheat just for the test due to the pain , my swollen lymph node and blood test results.  Trying to remain calm for the referral and perhaps needed to be more forceful all those years ago but I'm not assertive and consultants can be overwhelming. Many thanks for your reply . Wishing you all the best.
    • Moodiefoodie
      Wow! Fascinating info. Thanks so much! I really appreciate the guidance. @Spacepanther Over the years I have had rheumatologists do full lab work ups on me. They told me they had screened me for arthritis, lupus, and Lyme disease (all negative). In addition to joint pain and stiffness I had swelling in both knees that later moved to my elbow as well.  I also experience stiffness and pain in my neck and shoulders when it flares. I vomited fairly often growing up, but there wasn’t a real pattern to it and I didn’t know it wasn’t normal (thought people caught stomach viruses often).  I don’t usually have stomach symptoms immediately after eating gluten that I notice.  The only other joint condition I know of is fibromyalgia. Good luck! Hope you can get it figured out. I only assumed my joint symptoms were due to the celiac’s because it is under control for the most part on a gluten-free diet.  The rheumatologist also mentioned that some inflammatory/autoimmune diseases can be slow-moving and not detectable until they progress.
    • knitty kitty
      @Spacepanther, I found these articles about the connection between Celiac and joint pain. Musculoskeletal Complications of Celiac Disease: A Case-Based Review https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10201087/ And   Intestinal microbiome composition and its relation to joint pain and inflammation https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6814863/ And The gut microbiome-joint connection: implications in osteoarthritis https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6903327/ Sounds like it's time to change the diet to change the microbiome.
    • knitty kitty
      @Shireen32,  Take some deep breaths.  Your labs are fine!  Your tTg IgA is so low!  Well done!  Your endomysial IgA is fine.  There's not a level on the endomysial test.  It's just "yes or no" for if you have celiac disease.   No, it's too early to call it refractory. What are you eating?  Please tell us more than meat and veg. Do you consume dairy? Do you consume processed gluten free foods?   Are you taking any prescription medications, herbal supplements, vitamins and minerals?