This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

accidentally glutened.. how to recover?

1398-Days

1398-Days Contributor

I've been gluten free since September and have been glutened several times since then.. which I would guess is pretty common at first. But I've been having lots of problems with CC and have gotten sick more than ever over the past month or two. Probably one of the worst times was around New Years. I wasn't really able to eat anything for 4 days afterwards and I was VERY tired and would get dizzy and feel short of breath. Even just standing up made me tired! It took at least 1-2 weeks to get back to normal. Well, I had another pretty bad one on Thursday night. Stomach cramps, diarrhea, nausea.. all night. The next day I think I only ate a banana and an orange, mostly just drank water. And I felt sick all day.. not nauseous but just that 'off' feeling, headache, tired, overall bad. The next day (yesterday) I woke up feeling great and decided to eat lunch (i sleep in late lol). I ate what I would normally eat and felt fine, so I figured everything was fine. I had another snack a while before dinner, felt fine. Then dinner came around.. I shouldn't have even eaten because I wasn't very hungry, but I feel like I was just desperate to be able to eat.. not like when I couldn't eat for 4 days. So I ate dinner and was also stupid and drank a bit of soda with it. I felt bloated and started feeling a bit nauseous after dinner. The nausea and bloating went away after a while, but I then had a headache and was dizzy and back to just feeling uncomfortable. I had eaten normally and felt fine (except for being a little tired) all day so I'm so mad at myself for eating what I did yesterday. I know I should have been more careful, I'm just so tired of this. Today (sunday) I woke up feeling slightly dizzy and very anxious. I'm so frustrated.. I just want to feel better! And frustrated at myself for not being careful when I know I should have. Now it's like I'm back to the second day. I'm also anxious because I'm getting braces on Wednesday, and my birthday is on Friday and I don't those to be ruined by this. Help :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Irene Joanne Explorer

How about trying to eat some protein? I was sick for four- five days after eating oatmeal and noticed a dramatic improvement after eating steak the fourth day. 

peoniesxplease Newbie

I can totally relate to your struggle. People who don't know anything about this ask "really, how can it take you so long to feel better?". I ate a TON of gluten on February 9th (I used to be able to cheat in high school and a bit in college without having adverse reactions with my stomach) and I am still in disarray.

Its awful because you can't starve yourself but at the same time you're scared to eat anything ! Even if its super healthy. My friend recommended only eating fruits, veggies, and nuts for a few days. LOTS of water of course. Sleep. Exercise totally helps me when I do have the energy.

I personally do not want to eat veggies and most fruits. What feels good to me right now are really basic fruit smoothies, sushi (so random I know), and lots of fruit juice. Never a fruit juice drinker normally because of the sugar content but it's all that I am really excited to consume... I just don't have a clue how to transition back on to real foods. I'm even scared to eat eggs as well as processed gluten free snack foods.

Archived