This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac advise

Brianjamesh

Brianjamesh Newbie

Hi everyone 

i am just looking for advice on prolonged symptoms 

i was diagnosed with celiac disease last year and also a hiatal hernia paraesophageal doctor also said I had ibs , I have been on the celiac diet for about 6 months I was also sent for a bone scan or dexa scan and was told my bones where thinning and was put on ad adcal-d3 calcium carbonate and vitamin d , I am 41 my father had celiac disease ! My question is why am I on the bone thinning tablet did celiac disease damage my bones ? And also I at times still feel unwell on the the diet is this just the norm ?

i know very little about this disease I would love to hear from anyone who can give me any advise 

thanks

brian

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Irene Joanne Explorer

Bone thinning is a symptom of celiac disease- I'd highly recommend reading a few books about celiac disease. I've learned a lot from that. There's a chance you are accidentally ingesting gluten and that's making you sick- or you're still healing. I just talked to someone yesterday who said it took 14 months off gluten  before her husband felt well.  You could also have other food sensitivities or auto immune diseases.  I'm about four months into the gluten free diet and have more bad days than good days. 

squirmingitch Veteran

Please read the Newbie 101 in the coping section to make sure you are not getting gluten sneaking into your diet. Plus it will explain a lot of other things about celiac disease for you. Be sure to follow all the links contained in the thread.

Yes, celiac disease can cause osteoporosis or thinning of the bones. It's a rather common symptom of celiac disease.

cyclinglady Grand Master

Brian, 

Welcome to the forum.  You have been given excellent advice.  Six months into the gluten free diet after a celiac diagnosis is still early in the game.  I do not know why many doctors say it just takes a few months (in theory it should take just a few months).  It takes a few months just to learn the gluten free diet as the learning curve is steep!  I finally felt well after two years.  Much better even after one year.  It took six months to resolve my anemia (main symptom), so I know intestinal healing was taking place.  

I have osteoporosis as a result of celiac disease (long undiagnosed, I suspect).  Within two months of my diagnosis, I fractured my vertebrae doing nothing!  I had a DEXA scan and started taking some calcium and vitamin D.  I also went on HRT since I was going through menopause and that has been well-documented in building bones.  I did not take any bone-building drugs.  Two years later, my bone scan was the same but I have not had anymore fractures.  I am happy that I am holding my own despite being postmenopausal (bone are impacted by this too).  

When you have celiac disease, you lose the ability to absorb nutrients like iron or calcium.  Without iron, you can become anemic.  Without calcium being able to be absorbed in your small intestine, your body looks for calcium sources -- your bones!  

Keep to the diet (NEVER CHEAT) and your bones should heal.  I would recommend some strength training exercises as well as other exercises that can build bone (e.g. walking).  Start slowly, you do not want fractures!  

Read the Newbie section and really learn about celiac disease.  You'll heal faster!  Oh, if you have kids or siblings, get them tested!  This is autoimmune disorder that is genetic and is triggered by gluten.  Other environmental triggers (stress, infections, death, etc.) seem to trigger the gene that "turns on" celiac disease.  Remember, each time you get accidentally "glutened" it will set you back.  

Take care! 

Archived