11 replies to this topic

#1 danikali

danikali

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 08:21 AM

I have been noticing mucos in my stool again :blink: (I know, gross) ...... and I don't remember....... is this a sign of malnutrition or could this be nothing at all? :huh:
Danielle (Dani)

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease by Dr. Green (gene HLA DQ8) 1/05/06
Diagnosed: Gluten Sensitive through enterolab 11/17/05
Diagnosed: Casein Sensitive through enterolab 3/7/06

Diagnosed: Interstitial Cystitis (IC) 07/26/06

I finally put my picture on because it doesn't look like I'll be eating ANY cake on my Wedding day..........I'm the one in the middle.

Intolerant to: (besides gluten)

Casein
Peanuts (can handle very small amounts)
Any kind of additives or preservatives

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 nettiebeads

nettiebeads

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 08:25 AM

I have been noticing mucos in my stool again  :blink: (I know, gross) ...... and I don't remember....... is this a sign of malnutrition or could this be nothing at all?  :huh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you gluten-free right now? Have you had gluten? How long have you had celiac disease? I think it's your body's way of protecting itself from what it considers harmful, rightly or wrongly. Mucus in stools is one of the symptoms of celiac disease.
gluten-free since Oct 1996

#3 danikali

danikali

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 08:36 AM

Hi,

I have been 100% gluten free starting only Monday actually. I'm actually still in the process of being diagnosed. I just got blood tests done and sent in samples to enterolab; I'm waiting on results from everything, still.

Anyway, I know I have a problem with gluten though because I have tried the gluten free diet before, and felt a lot better, but kept getting "glutened" when I would eat any processed foods or from resturants because I was naive on all of the hidden products that use it. Anyway, I went back on gluten to get the tests done and was sick as a dog everyday, and now I am almost feeling like myself again. Some of the symptoms have been subsiding, and I have A LOT more energy and my arms and muscles don't feel so weak. But for the past couple of days, I've noticed mucos in my stool again and I was just wondering......... <_<

I guess my question is: mucos in your stool isn't normal, right? Because I know when I was diagnosed with "IBS" and did A LOT of research on it, I learned that mucos in the stool was a sign of IBS (I don't believe in IBS now)........but I'm kinda wondering all of this because if muscos in the stool goes along with the doctor favorite, "IBS," and "IBS" suposedly does not "harm" your body, then that means mucos in the stool doesn't mean that your body is being "harmed?"

I don't know......I hope I didn't confuse you! :blink:

Thanks for any help though! :rolleyes:
Danielle (Dani)

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease by Dr. Green (gene HLA DQ8) 1/05/06
Diagnosed: Gluten Sensitive through enterolab 11/17/05
Diagnosed: Casein Sensitive through enterolab 3/7/06

Diagnosed: Interstitial Cystitis (IC) 07/26/06

I finally put my picture on because it doesn't look like I'll be eating ANY cake on my Wedding day..........I'm the one in the middle.

Intolerant to: (besides gluten)

Casein
Peanuts (can handle very small amounts)
Any kind of additives or preservatives

#4 Candy

Candy

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 02:28 AM

Hi Ya,
I noticed mucus in my stools too, just recently, and I had already suspected Celiac for quite a few months.When I saw the mucus I thought God,I'm dying.It wasn't a whole lot of mucus,but it was noticable.I haven't seen it since and have been eating gluten free products only recently,but I feel no discomfort,see no more mucus,so I guess it was the Gluten.I avoid it with more determination now.

Hi Ya,
I noticed mucus in my stools too, just recently, and I had already suspected Celiac for quite a few months.When I saw the mucus I thought God,I'm dying.It wasn't a whole lot of mucus,but it was noticable.I haven't seen it since and have been eating gluten free products only recently,but I feel no discomfort,see no more mucus,so I guess it was the Gluten.I avoid it with more determination now.
I have DNA ancestry in NW.EUROPE,where CELIAC'S known to be common.

DEC. '05 TESTED POSITIVE for the Celiac GENES HLA-DQ2 , and DQ3 SUBTYPE DQ8
Celiac Negative Endoscopy-Aug.'08 - Diagnosed with Hernia and GERD(Gastric Esophageal Reflux Disease),and prescribed Acid Reducing Medication. I hadn't eaten WHEAT for a year prior to the Endoscopy-maybe that's why result was Negative. I need TTG test to determine Active Celiac Status/

Disgnosed with Sjogren's 9/19/2008- Internist referred me to Eye Doctor and Rheumatologist.

#5 StrongerToday

StrongerToday

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 05:44 AM

I noticed mine seem a bit off if I've had something greasy - chips, bacon, etc. Have you tried keeping a food log?
Ev in Michigan

GFDF since 8/20/05
Negative Bloodwork ~
Dr. encourages me to trust my
"Gut Reaction"

#6 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 06:58 AM

I had the mucus also pre DX. It continued even after I cut out gluten, but after the first couple of months, dissapeared. I never have a problem with it now, even if glutened.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#7 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 08:18 AM

Your body produces some mucous normally to help lube up the intestines...however, increased mucous can be a sign of intestinal irritation--which goes along with Celiac. A little more info on it here: http://ibscrohns.abo.../mucusstool.htm
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#8 Nancym

Nancym

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 10:14 AM

I get this too. It concerns me because I know the intestinal wall consists of a mucosal wall that is one cell thick and is supposed to keep the intestinal contents out of the blood stream. So when I see mucos in my stool, I'm always afraid it's this precious wall!

#9 ownedbykira

ownedbykira

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 04:55 PM

May I ask ...what does mucus in the stool look like, it is not like white gooey stuff attached to the stool

#10 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 05:03 PM

Pretty much...
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#11 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 05:11 PM

I had alot of mucus pre-gluten-free....I never see it anymore though.

May I ask ...what does mucus in the stool look like, it is not like white gooey stuff attached to the stool

The mucus I was seeing looked like ummm....well... it looked like mucus. :huh:
Sorry, yes, it was gooey stuff mixed in the stool...it looked kind of clear I guess. Well, it looked like it would have been clear had it not been in the stool. Sometimes it would be very visible like a long strand of mucus.

Sorry to be so graphic but I was just answering the question. :P

Pretty much...

:lol: :lol:
Good answer Patti. :)
Rachel

#12 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 05:15 PM