This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Thick coating on tongue

zenjess1980

zenjess1980 Contributor

So for about 6 months I've had this thick white-ish coating on my tongue. Both my doctor and dentist  said it is not thrush. My integrative medicine doctor said it's evidence of poor digestion. Has anyone experienced this? If so, did it go away being gluten free? 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SLLRunner Enthusiast
46 minutes ago, zenjess1980 said:

So for about 6 months I've had this thick white-ish coating on my tongue. Both my doctor and dentist  said it is not thrush. My integrative medicine doctor said it's evidence of poor digestion. Has anyone experienced this? If so, did it go away being gluten free? 

Yes I have, but it usually goes away after awhile. I also get canker sores in my mouth, and cold sores on the side of my lip pop up really easily.

zenjess1980 Contributor
1 hour ago, SLLRunner said:

Yes I have, but it usually goes away after awhile. I also get canker sores in my mouth, and cold sores on the side of my lip pop up really easily.

Thank you for your reply. I have been at a loss, and am glad to hear it goes away :)

SLLRunner Enthusiast
16 minutes ago, zenjess1980 said:

Thank you for your reply. I have been at a loss, and am glad to hear it goes away :)

Well, for me it just goes away, but the funny taste in my mouth continues.

Have you asked your new integrative doctor about it? 

zenjess1980 Contributor
On Thursday, April 07, 2016 at 10:15 AM, SLLRunner said:

Well, for me it just goes away, but the funny taste in my mouth continues.

Have you asked your new integrative doctor about it? 

Yes he said it was poor digestion. I see him agin the 2nd week of May. 

• 2 weeks later...
Pronghorngirl Newbie

I am dealing with this issue at the moment as well. I had my tonsils and adnoids out in the 7th of April. Had to be rushed back the 14th one of Mt scabs came off and they couldn't control the bleeding.  My point. 2 days after the first surgery I developed this coating and my tongue was sore but I assumed it was from the instruments holding it down. Well I'm 4 days out now and its 10 times worse. I even have taste buds that are swollen and painful. Eating is almost impossible.  I did some digging and remembers back about 3 months ago something simaler had happened but not to this extent. I thought it was thrush. I was talking with my mom today. She has oral lichen planus. I looked it up. Just fits. Can come on due to stress or diet or any number of things. I'm also just recently diagnosed with lupus so I'm calling my Dr in the morning to let her know. Today was by far the worse my mouth has ever been. I couldn't even eat a outshine popcycle. 2 bites in and it felt like acid on my tongue. Maybe this helps? Good luck ladies!

• 1 month later...
Jmg Mentor

One of the weird and unexpected things about going gluten free is that for ages afterwards I was noticing things that were no longer there,  The tongue coating you describe was just the same for me and it's now gone after time on gluten-free diet.  Looking at Pronghorngirls' post above it does sound like oral lichen planus. I also got mouth ulcers (again largely gone now).  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived