celiachap

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 09:10 AM

Happy Thanksgiving Everybody!

Was "Pilgrim" John Howland a Celiac?
During fierce storms on the journey to New England, the Mayflower passengers were obliged to stay below deck, for safety. For some reason, a young passenger named John Howland left the hull, came above deck, fell overboard, and was rescued. My theory is that he had Celiac and the toilet provisions below deck were unsuitable, so he decided to just hang over the side of the ship - which was not unheard of back then. He’s one of my Mayflower ancestors – a 9th great grandfather, and I know that I would have had trouble staying below for very long as an undiagnosed Celiac. Howland is also an ancestor to G.W. Bush and many others (see last link below).

Here is Pilgrim William Bradford's account of Howland's ordeal, in his History Of Plymouth Plantation:
“In sundry of these storms the winds were so fierce, and the seas so high, as they could not bear a knot of sail, but were forced to hull, for divers days together. And in one of them, as they thus lay at hull, in a mighty storm, a lusty young man (called John Howland) coming upon some occasion above the gratings, was, with a seele of the ship thrown into the sea; but it pleased God that he caught hold of the topsail halyards, which hung overboard, and ran out at length; yet he held his hold (though he was sundry fathoms under water) till he was hauled up by the same rope to the brim of the water, and then with a boat hook and other means got into the ship again, and his life saved; and though he was something ill with it, yet he lived many years after, and became a profitable member both in church and commonwealth.” William Bradford, in his History Of Plymouth Plantation.
http://members.aol.c...ebj/voyage.html

http://www.mayflower...JohnHowland.php
“John Howland was born about 1599, probably in Fenstanton, Huntington. He came on the Mayflower in 1620 as a manservant for Governor John Carver. During the Mayflower's voyage, Howland fell overboard during a storm, and was almost lost at sea--but luckily for his millions of descendants living today (including Presidents George Bush and George W. Bush, and Mrs. Theodore Roosevelt) he managed to grab ahold of the topsail halyards, giving the crew enough time to rescue him with a boathook.”

An imaginary "interview" with Pilgrim John Howland:
http://teacher.schol...oth/howland.htm

Some Famous Descendants of Mayflower Passengers:
http://www.mayflower...descendants.php
Diagnosed with Celiac March, 2005: Positive endoscopy, blood tests and biopsy. Gluten free since March 2005.

Retested Jan. 2006: Negative blood tests: "Results do not support a diagnosis of celiac disease. Serological markers for celiac disease were not detected."

Results for 2006 endoscope/biopsy pending.

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing than he who believes what is wrong.
-Thomas Jefferson

Give me the storm and stress of thought and action rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will but first let me eat of the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge.
- Robert Green Ingersoll

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2005 - 11:31 AM

Oh my God! That is awesome! Have a great holiday! B

#3 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 11:35 AM

Wow thanks for sharing that...very interesting.

Happy Thanksgiving :D
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#4 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 11:47 AM

Wow! Way cool!! Thanks for that :)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"