This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Crush Orange Liquid Water Enhancer

Marcindy3

Marcindy3 Newbie

Hi, is there gluten in this? I can't find anything about it. We were having a wonderful evening at the park & when we came home my daughter had a homemade Popsicle made w/ orange crush liquid water enhancer (since we just found out Popsicles at the store contain wheat-who would have thought?!?) & began vomiting shortly after. Has anyone else had any issues? Thanks! 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Never heard of it but probably gluten-free.   What Popsicles contain wheat?

kareng Grand Master

According to the  Walmart site - 

Ingredients: Water, Citric Acid, Sodium Citrate, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Sucralose, Contains 2% Or Less of The Following: Malic Acid, Acesulfame Potassium, Yellow 5, Xanthan Gum, Potassium Sorbate (Preservative),

looks gluten-free.

Marcindy3 Newbie

image.png

image.png

kareng Grand Master
9 minutes ago, Marcindy3 said:

image.png

image.png

You are just repeating someone's blog?  I thought you said you had found Popsicles with wheat in them.  Other than something with a crunchy coating or " cookies and cream", I have never seen a Popsicle with wheat.  And those are more like an ice cream bar.  

I thought you you had actually seen some Popsicles with wheat and could share the brand to help others.

kareng Grand Master

Here are the ingredients from the Popsicle Brand page for plain Popsicles .  No wheat mentioned.

Open Original Shared Link
This box contains the following flavors: 
Orange, Cherry, Grape 
Ingredients: 
Orange Pop: water, high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, sugar, contains 1 percent or less of each of the following: malic acid, citric acid, guar gum, ascorbic acid (vitamin c), locust bean gum, natural and artificial flavor, annatto extract (for color) 
Cherry Pop: water, high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, sugar, contains 1 percent or less of each of the following: malic acid, citric acid, guar gum, natural and artificial flavor, red 40, ascorbic acid (vitamin c), locust bean gum, cherry juice concentrate 
Grape Pop: water, high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, sugar, contains 1 percent or less of each of the following: beet juice concentrate, malic acid, citric acid, guar gum, ascorbic acid (vitamin c), grape juice concentrate, natural flavor, locust bean gum, red 3, blue 1, yellow 6
Marcindy3 Newbie

we thought they were gluten free but so far she's vomited twice in 2 days after an orange Popsicle so I googled it & found that. So I just thought for sure that's what it was. And then tonight she vomited after an orange crush homemade Popsicle so we thought that had gluten. Idk. I'm at a loss! We're all upset, frustrated, & at our wits end. Her vomiting is still continuing & that was the common factor. I have no clue what it would be then! No cross contamination because we've gotten rid of everything & bought new. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master
1 hour ago, Marcindy3 said:

we thought they were gluten free but so far she's vomited twice in 2 days after an orange Popsicle so I googled it & found that. So I just thought for sure that's what it was. And then tonight she vomited after an orange crush homemade Popsicle so we thought that had gluten. Idk. I'm at a loss! We're all upset, frustrated, & at our wits end. Her vomiting is still continuing & that was the common factor. I have no clue what it would be then! No cross contamination because we've gotten rid of everything & bought new. 

It could be anything.  There is a lot of ingredient s in both things - so it's hard to tell what might be an issue.  Could even be something else because people do vomit for many reasons.

the best way to know if a food has gluten is to read the ingredients for your self before she consumes the food.

Marcindy3 Newbie

Thank you for your help! Something has glutened her we're assuming. Her dr said she will continue to vomit as her levels go down & her stomach heals (which really makes no sense to me). 

cyclinglady Grand Master

Take this time to research all that you can about celiac disease.  Remember, it is a genetic autoimmune disorder that is triggered by gluten (flares up) and causes damage to the small intestine.  Why would she continue to vomit? First, I suspect that like everyone in the beginning, you will accidentally expose her to gluten.  Soon, this will rarely happen as you both become an experts!   Be sure to read our Newbie 101 pinned thread under "Coping".  It's right at the top.  Lots of sensible good tips regarding how to avoid gluten.  Then she may continue to vomit or feel poorly until her body starts to calm down in the absence of gluten.  This is not an allergy or intolerance that will stop symptoms within a day or so (as the offending food leaves the body).  celiac disease is a flare up.  Once it starts, it can take days, weeks or even months for the body to calm down.  That's why you have to be extra careful to NOT eat gluten.  

My MIL had MS.  Every spring, she would get a severe MS flare-up.  She could not walk for six weeks.  She had to go on temporary disability and strong medications that really did not help.    No one knew the cause of her flare-ups that were so severe.  There was no stopping it.  Luckily, we can prevent flare-ups in celiac disease.  A strict diet is the cure.  

While she is healing, try to stick to whole foods that you prepare yourself.  Fresh meat, fish, veggies, fruit. Cook them well.  It is hard to digest ANYTHING when you have so much damage.  I used my crockpot alot and had lots of stewed meat and veggies.  When I started to feel better, I added dairy and nuts which are harder to digest (at least for me).  Look at the ingredients on those Popsicles.  She can react to anything right now (the dyes, corn, gums, anything....).  So make your own out of just plain juice.  One ingredient.  Much healthier anyway for anyone!  At least for a few months.

Take care!  Hugs to your little girl!  

Marcindy3 Newbie

Thank you so much! I'm learning it's a day to day, minute by minute process of her keeping her food down. She was sick yesterday morning vomiting but then had a great day until 10p at night & began vomiting up her dinner. It happens a lot at night times. She was ok for school today so I'm praying she'll make it through the day! Monday was the first whole day she's been there in a month! She said she sat in the bathroom stall after lunch crying & praying she wouldn't vomit. So much pressure on a 10 yr old. Thanks for all your advice. This has been such a scary, frustrating, upsetting experience. I'm praying that once it levels out we can helps others who are newly diagnosed like everyone has helped us. 

Archived