This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Villous atrophy with negative tTG IgG/IgA, high Gliadin IgA!

Actronx

Actronx Newbie

Hello,

This is my first post. Hoping to find an answer to this question.

do I have gluten sensitivity? 

I've villous atrophy with negative tTG IgG/IgA results, but high anti glaidin IGA value. Test resus are as follows: 

1- 3 specimen were extracted, results were as follows: D2- sections show focal erosions of the surface epithelium. Villi show focal shortening and blunting with reduction in villous/crypt ratio. Lamina propria is congested with patchy edema. Intraepithelial lymphocyte count is increased un number (15-30 lymphocytes/100 epithelial cells). The number of chronic inflammatory cells show moderate increase. Brunner glands are normal, parasitic elements are absent.

2- following this i had IgA/IgG blood tests, results are as follows:

Gliadin antibody IgA (11.93) Negative but result is very close to upper limit

Gliadin antibody IgG (2.35) Negative

Tissue Transglutaminase antibody IgA (0.25)

Tissue Transglutaminase antibody IgG (1.11)

3- I had food sensetivity IgG ELISA called Imupro, results show very high levels to gluten and wheat + candida albican too.

My symptoms are simply bloating all day long, flautance and gases  4 to 6 hours after drinking milk .

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Welcome!  How does your doctor interpret your results?  You obviously have intestinal damage, but that can be attributed to many things.

Open Original Shared Link

There are celiacs who do not test positive on the antibodies tests (you only need one positive out of the panel).   (I had a positive DGP Iga test and the rest were negative, yet my biopsies revealed moderate to severe villi damage.)  Were you eating gluten when you had all the testing done?  

You definitely sound like you have a lactose intolerance which can be temporary with celiac (or not if you are lactose intolerant due to genetics).    Maybe a milk allergy? 

I am sorry that your results are not clear.  

Actronx Newbie

Thank you Cyclinglady for the post & link. well i'm still frustrated and I don't know what to do.

yes consume gluten on daily basis, and well i'm lactose intolerant due to the damaged villi. what make me more confused is that I have normal levels for vitamin D, B12 and iron. normal blood picture for white cells and slightly high red cells count.

I have tested for total IgE which came high 160  (ref. range for normal is =<100)....

my frustration comes because i don't have clear symptoms. i don't know if I'm improving or more damage is on going. the only way is to test with milk from time to time...

Sugarcube Rookie

Clearly the doctors need to establish what is causing Villous atrophy.  My villious atrophy was caused by parasites. This also temporarily raised my Gliadin antibody IgA levels but normalised after treatment.  

A celiac gene test might be helpful in ruling out Celiac.  

Actronx Newbie
On May 4, 2016 at 9:00 PM, Sugarcube said:

Clearly the doctors need to establish what is causing Villous atrophy.  My villious atrophy was caused by parasites. This also temporarily raised my Gliadin antibody IgA levels but normalised after treatment.  

A celiac gene test might be helpful in ruling out Celiac.  

According to endoscopy report, i'm parasites free. but i have high IgG to candida albican, which may indicate recent or current infection with it. i spoke with my doctor, his reply was like forget about candida or SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth, they only appear in immunocompromised patients! 

cyclinglady Grand Master
On 5/4/2016 at 9:45 AM, Actronx said:

Thank you Cyclinglady for the post & link. well i'm still frustrated and I don't know what to do.

yes consume gluten on daily basis, and well i'm lactose intolerant due to the damaged villi. what make me more confused is that I have normal levels for vitamin D, B12 and iron. normal blood picture for white cells and slightly high red cells count.

I have tested for total IgE which came high 160  (ref. range for normal is =<100)....

my frustration comes because i don't have clear symptoms. i don't know if I'm improving or more damage is on going. the only way is to test with milk from time to time...

It looks like you have a few options that you need to consider pursuing:

1.  Get back to your doctor and tell him to figure out what's wrong with you.  Take a friend because it helps to have someone listen and take notes who is not the patient.  Get copies of all lab reports and doctor notes always and keep a file on yourself to share with future doctors or to monitor your progress.  

2.  Ditch this GI and get a new one (SIBO is real per my celiac savvy GI).  Take a friend with you.  

3.  You say you are lactose intolerant.  Experiment by going lactose free for six months -- not just a few days.  This will help to promote healing and help determine if milk (lactose or proteins) are causing villi damage and not gluten.

4.  Recognize that some celiacs test NEGATIVE to antibodies.  Per Dr. A. Fasano and Dr. Murrary, based on their clinincal experience and recent data just published, they estimate that 10 to 20 percent of celiac disease patients test negative to the serology screening test. That means consider yourself a celiac and stop your gluten intake for at least six months.  Normal vitamin and mineral levels do not rule out celiac disease.  

5.  Recognize that you can multiple reasons for villi damage.  That's why a second consult with a celiac savvy GI is important.  

Good luck!  

Archived