This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Formal dinner suggestions

Midwitch

Midwitch Newbie

Hi people. I'd just like some ideas for what I can take for V to a formal family dinner. Unfortunately the restaurant has stated there is no gluten-free safe option so I have to take his meal and dessert.  I can make him gluten-free chocolate cake so thats fine.  But its a three course dinner, and I need to transport it there. Hopefully they will be happy to heat it if needed.  Something really nice and special would be good because everyone else will be eating really  nice meals.  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

squirmingitch Veteran

You could take shrimp cocktail -- just ice it & no need for heating that then. How about following up with some coconut crusted fish with some nice veggies on the side? That could just be nuked to reheat & only takes a minute or two. Make sure when they put it in the microwave that it is covered in case there is gluten lurking on the ceiling of the microwave that can fall down into his food.

StephanieL Enthusiast

Most restaurants won't heat things up for you. How old is your kiddo?  I know when we have family things, the kids are usually off playing so missing a starter wouldn't even be an issue. 

That said, could you do salad or some kind of "pizza" kind of roll up or mini? Something in a muffin tin? 

Midwitch Newbie

He is 12 and due to being so thin, voraciously hungry at present. I thought about rice crackers and gluten-free hummus - he loves that. No way would he be off playing with little kid and miss food, he hasn't been this hungry for years.   The pizza roll up might work. 

I cant do fish or seafood though as a younger child is anaphylactic and cant be in the same vehicle as fish or a person who has eaten it.  Therefore V has never tasted it. His favourite food at present is beef vindaloo. I wonder if I could keep it in a flask so its still hot for him.  

cyclinglady Grand Master
9 hours ago, Midwitch said:

He is 12 and due to being so thin, voraciously hungry at present. I thought about rice crackers and gluten-free hummus - he loves that. No way would he be off playing with little kid and miss food, he hasn't been this hungry for years.   The pizza roll up might work. 

I cant do fish or seafood though as a younger child is anaphylactic and cant be in the same vehicle as fish or a person who has eaten it.  Therefore V has never tasted it. His favourite food at present is beef vindaloo. I wonder if I could keep it in a flask so its still hot for him.  

I pack hot leftovers in my kid's thermos (flask) all the time for her school lunches.  Just pre-heat the flask with hot water and dump before putting the food in.  Our thermos keeps food hot for four to six hours.  

Archived