This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Kraft Creamy Ranch Dip For Chips? Gluten Free?

Jnkmnky

Jnkmnky Collaborator
:ph34r:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jnkmnky Collaborator
RiceGuy Collaborator

I don't think you trained him too well at all. I only wish I had known early on. Things would be far better for me.

All I found on the Kraft site was their PDF file on gluten-free products, basically saying to read the labels carefully :(

I like just plain sour cream with my chips, if anything.

Here's a link to some gluten-free sour cream, which is the base for most dips AFAIK.

Open Original Shared Link

They also have some flavored dips on their new products page:

Their rice ones are also soy free, but I believe casein is in all of them.

...Bonding over gluten on Thanksgiving

Heh, very funny.

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

for Kraft Canada, not sure about the U.S. link.

Jnkmnky Collaborator
Guest nini

we've gotten the Kraft Creamy Ranch Dip here... Chey eats it without any problems. I haven't tried it though, I'm more sensitive to processed foods, so I try to avoid them.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Remember that Kraft is a brand that will not hide anything and will clearly list wheat, rye, barley, oats on the label if it contains any.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

"All I found on the Kraft site was their PDF file on gluten-free products, basically saying to read the labels carefully..."

What else do you hope to find? Kraft has one of the best ingredient policies of any company.

richard

Jnkmnky Collaborator
Guest nini
Yeah, I know. Except that part in the policy where they refuse to spend the extra money on the bright red ink to write: GLUTEN FREE

underneath the ingredients of each product. I like the companies that do THAT..the best.

I HEAR YA!!!!!! I prefer to support companies that do this.

lovegrov Collaborator

I simply don't see the difference. Even when a company puts gluten free on a label, I read the ingredients. It's just second-nature now. And most companies that do put gluten-free on a label don't test it, so they're no more sure than Kraft is.

richard

Jnkmnky Collaborator
Lisa Mentor

What richard says is correct, but I also understand your misgivings. When you are learning to read lables and doing your research it does get very confusing. There are often very big words regarding ingrediences that you don't know what they are.

The best thing to to is to do a search here on the site and study, study, study. Nine times out of ten your question has been asked and it can be searched here. Get your masters in reading ingrediences. I assure you that it will get better.

Keep on plugging along. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

I have been here for almost five months and I have learned an enormous amount of information, and I feel, that I am just beginning. Our time is just as valuable as yours, but we are all the same here.

Keep on.

Lisa B. ;)

Jnkmnky Collaborator
Rachel--24 Collaborator
I simply don't see the difference. Even when a company puts gluten free on a label, I read the ingredients. It's just second-nature now. And most companies that do put gluten-free on a label don't test it, so they're no more sure than Kraft is.

richard

as you stated....they don't test the products. For this reason I would not only like to see the words GLUTEN-FREE but also MADE IN A DEDICATED FACILITY WITH NO CHANCE OF CROSS-CONTAMINATION 100% GUARANTEED.

THAT would make me really happy. Do you think thats asking too much? If I saw those words I would buy the product....I dont even care what it is....it would go right into my cart. :D

jerseyangel Proficient

Those are the magic words for me, too :)

Lisa Mentor

We all wish for that. In the days that I have spend hours in the grocery store I have realized that more and more product do present with "gluten free" and it is a joy to buy it. I have so much in my pantry that I bought, just because it said gulten free. I may not even have the need for it. But, you do have to understand that we are the underdogs here, but with a big voice. Change comes slowly. Maybe the next five years will be wonderous for us, but for now checking ingredience is a must.

The best way to change the labeling issue is to continually e-mail or call on 800 numbers and tell them that there are many of us here and without lableing their produces better we will not consume.

Write and e-mail as many producers as we are able.

We have dollars to purchase their products, let them know that we will buy them if they indicate that they are safe for us to purchase.....the old supply and demand. Well..........let's make it demand and then they will supply.

How about that. :):)

Lisa B.

psawyer Proficient

The problem with "gluten free" on a label is that, in today's world where whatever happens to you is never your fault, but always someone else's, lawsuits are likely. Even if a food is produced on dedicated lines or in a "gluten free" facility, cross contamination is always a possibility even if slight. No mainstream food maker produces all its own ingredients, and even if they did, how can you be 100% certain that a bee did not carry wheat pollen from another farmer's field and deposit a tiny amount of it on your corn? Even when the label DOES say "GLUTEN FREE" I realize the there is some possibility that contamination has occurred. I don’t let it ruin my life.

I am grateful for companies like Kraft (and many others) who label honestly and will not hide any gluten behind ambiguous ingredients. CYA disclaimers are a fact of life in this litigious society.

lovegrov Collaborator

As pointed out, there's no 100 percent guarantee. There might be places that are very close to 100 percent, but unless you control the production of every ingredient and every ingredient that goes into every ingredient and so on, there's ALWAYS a chance of CC.

And even then mistakes can happen. I think I even remember Kinnikinnick calling something back because of a possible error, and this is a company that doesn't allow its employees to bring gluten in their lunches. I also know that in the past they've stopped making products temporarily when they couldn't find an ingredient that met their guarantee criteria.

richard

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Yeah, I know. Except that part in the policy where they refuse to spend the extra money on the bright red ink to write: GLUTEN FREE

underneath the ingredients of each product. I like the companies that do THAT..the best.

At this point there is great debate about what defines gluten-free. That is one of the main reasons so few companies are doing this. The FDA is in the process of determining what levels define gluten-free. Do we use the European Standard, do we use one lower, do we use a 0 level policy? The European Standard may not be safe for American Celiacs as we tend to be diagnosed much later with more damage, wake up doctors. From what I understand this 'debate' should be over in a couple of years, they are aiming for 2008 as a date when gluten labeling regulations should be in effect. I'm just happy at least they are making clearer labels with more info. That damn term 'modified food starch' at least in 2006 they have to tell us what it is!

I love those gluten free labels we can already find, and hopefully we'll get lots more soon.

Archived