This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

amalgam dental fillings - remove or not?

Acomys

Acomys Newbie

Hi everyone,

I'm going through some health issues right now and when searching for possible causes of my symptoms and blood test results, I see lead poissoning popping up quite a few times. Now, I have many amalgam fillings in my mouth since childhood, so naturally I'm thinking if that might play a role and if removing them would make a difference. But from what I read online removing the amalgam fillings is not recommended and does not bring any health benefits. I have mixed feelings about this issue and would really appreciate some advice. Thanks in advance for any comments.

Greetings from Mexico. :-)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Do you have celiac disease?  This is a celiac forum and that's what we are most knowledgeable about.

Open Original Shared Link

Amalgam fillings do not have lead that I know.  What you read was probably mercury.  You could have them removed, but only by a dentist who has the knowledge and skill.   I think you need to do some more research so that you can make an informed decision.

I wish you well. 

Acomys Newbie

Yes, I meant mercury not lead, thank you for the correction. That's what happens when I stay on the computer until late at night. :blink:

The symptoms I have now resemble my gluten reaction and I know it's almost impossible that I would be getting glutened. I remember someone here mentioning that he/she had amalgam fillings removed and it helped, but that was few years back. That's why I posted it here. 

xwalt Newbie

My friend, I'm sorry to hear of your pain. I don't know if mercury is related, but I will give you my brief experience. I went through so many health issues, medications, and dr's and nobody could find anything wrong with me, but I knew something was wrong. I've been through many doctors, shots, pills, etc and nothing helped. For me it all came down to gluten. I had blood tests that shown the antibodies and the endoscopy that proved I had celiac, which I don't think is needed. If your body makes the antibodies I can't help to believe you have it. Anyway, long story short. If you are sick, you are sick and if a doctor can't find the reason, move on to a new doctor. Celiac, at least for me was simple. Stop eating gluten and every other health problem goes away. I have 30 + year old amalgam fillings and I feel amazing as long as I don't put anything in my mouth that isn't naturally gluten free, which means I only eat meat and vegetables. Our bodies are all different. I guess my only advice to you is if you're sick, your sick. Nobody lives inside your body but you and you know best if you feel better. Don't be afraid to stand up for yourself. 

1desperateladysaved Proficient

My dentist removed mine as he discovered problems with them.  He used a rubber dam to be sure no mercury would be lost down my throat.  When I had just a couple Amalgams left, he decided to remove them .  He felt they likely had problems he couldn't see yet, as the other old fillings all had  decay. As he worked, those two were also having decay.  The deal was that insurance would cover the replacements IF the fillings were bad, but if there was no noted problem, they would not cover it.  I would consider having these removed by a dentist trained in using the rubber dam IF I were having health trouble that might be related to them.

Archived