This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Correlation Between Gluten And Sugar.

Rusla

Rusla Enthusiast

I have found that being gluten free I know longer crave or have an interest in chocolate, coke or a lot of junk foods. However, when on gluten I crave those things. Has anyone else found they no longer crave the sweet things or vice versa.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator

I was never that much into sweets. For me it was breads and pasta, so I guess the glutenous foods had a grip on me. Once I had been off of those for awhile I noticed I didn't crave them. What I thought was simply a great tasting food was actually more like an addiction :o

I have had rice pasta a few times, and was initially very excited about the prospect of having a familiar favorite. Though it tastes like pasta, I don't get that "high" I used to get. It's like a normal food now, not like a fix for a pasta junkie.

traveljunkie Rookie

Hi Rusla,

Absolutely, our bodies crave exactly what it shouldn't have!! I still eat chocolate though...the gluten free kind!!lol But I no longer crave cakes. I made a gluten free cake a couple weeks ago and it was gross!! Way to much sugar!!!

Nadtorious Rookie

I only crave sugar or chocolate when i've had a reaction. That's usually my first symptom that i've eaten something wrong.

Nadia

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

No craving for sweet things? Ha, I wish, it's terrible. While reading this I indulged into a Breyers Rocky Road with Nesquik Chocolate Syrup :lol:

beelzebubble Contributor

chocolate cravings can indicate magnesium deficiency.

Rusla Enthusiast

I find when I have been gluten-free or not glutened, I have no interest in sweet things. Actually they taste so vulgar I have tossed it out. Soon as I have been in the gluten or glutened by accident I go wild for the sweet things. I am never so happy as when I have my test on Monday then, I can be gluten-free again and I never want to go back to gluten again. I have gone wild this week with the sweets etc.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

traveljunkie Rookie

Bubble,

Is that true because I can never resist chocolate. I do crave it but I always thought is was a hormonal thing! :D Maybe I need magnesium. My sis and mom also crave chocolate!!

skoki-mom Explorer

Sadly, no!! My sweet tooth is just as intact as it always was! In fact, I'm probably worse now because I tell myself that since I can't have the bread, may as well have the chocolate! LOL!

Guest Viola

Yummmmmmmm Chocolate and ice cream :P I could have those anytime. :lol: I've gotten so I don't bring it in the house and rarely bake or I eat too much.

beelzebubble Contributor

from Open Original Shared Link

Premenstrual chocolate craving is a phenomenon that has puzzled a great many women who are not controlled by this overwhelming urge at other times of the month. Yet chocolate, which is highest in magnesium of all foods, is often a sign of magnesium deficiency. If your diet is high in calcium you may have poor calcium absorption as well. The answer is not to eat more chocolate, but to increase your magnesium by eating more whole grains, nuts, seafood, and green vegetables, and by increasing your magnesium supplements. Your chocolate cravings will vanish when you have enough magnesium in your diet.

from Open Original Shared Link

• Magnesium: In initial research, the supplementation of magnesium has resulted in the satiation of chocolate cravings. Since both chocolate and cocoa powder contain high levels of magnesium (520 mg/100 g and 100 mg/100 g, respectively), our craving of chocolate may just reflect our desire to supplement our diets with this essential element. Additionally, there are links between low magnesium levels and the development of PMS symptoms, which may explain some women’s monthly chocolate binge.

a couple of links

Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link

Guest Viola

This could be true, but I and likely a lot of us take Magnesium with our Calcium supplement. Perhaps chocolate is just a comfort food for some of us.

I don't take a single Calcium / Magnesium Vitamin. But it's also in the multivitamin I take every day for quite a while now. And I still have cravings for chocolate. The other thing is, why do I ONLY have cravings for chocolate and not for chips, sweets and all that other munchie stuff. So actually this could be true :huh: . I really have no idea. I guess I just try to find an answer in all this information links...

I guess, now I have more brainfog than before. I never had increased chocolate cravings because of my monthly menses. Bah, I have it literally all the time. There just popped another thing into my head I noticed: When I had a little bit lower weight (well, actually it was waaay lower) I got my menses in time and now, that I actually gained weight, I'm not getting them anymore. According to my mother-in-law (I think she thinks I'm anorexic) I shouldn't have gotten them with the low weight I had. Hm, weired... :o I don't know, what's going on here. Let's go for another scoop of chocolate powder first. :lol: Just kidding...

BellydancR Newbie

I've read that sugar cravings are normal if you're malnourished....the months before I went gluten-free i ate entire bags of oreos and bowls of potatoes (quick carb sugar). 3 months later and i rarely eat sweets and never potatoes (nightshade sensitive). The first few weeks were really, really hard, tho...I went into gluten withdrawal.

From a physiology standpoint, it probably does mean you are low in nutrients, usually energy-producers or ions like calcium (which help the ATP cascade that your cells use to make energy). I also started taking folic acid and co-q 10 (which can help your body produce energy). Chromium is supposed to help regulate blood sugar, but I hesitate to suggest b/c I've known people whose cravings get worse when they take it!

I also switched to raw (turbinado) sugar, which is sweeter and so you use less, it also seems to take the edge off cravings because is more easily used by your body than bleached white sugar. I've learned that a lot of the stuff I would eat in bulk was bad for me, but once I got my nutrition worked out and my supplements to help my deficiencies it got better. The brain fog happens to me when I eat the wrong stuff....i know it seems impossible to overcome the needs when your body is screaming for the sugar, but really, it can get better it you can figure out what you ACTUALLY need (calcium, folic acid, etc). When I started, I devoured entire boxes of gluten free cookies and still terrible...you just want that comfort food, you know? But, I'd rather feel good than give in to the craving (although, with the holiday season, temptation abounds!)

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Before I ever got sick I rarely ate chocolate or candy. I never was that crazy about chocolate. When I did get sick and was undiagnosed for 3 years I ate tons of chocolate...I had to have it. People were like "You don't even like chocolate??" :blink:

Well...I sure liked it then and I still like it now. I'm still craving it and after glutened I love it even more. I can rember when I was at my worst and wasting away I would start shaking and feel faint...I would NEED candy bars and I couldnt get them in my mouth fast enough. Weird considering I rarely ate the stuff before. :unsure:

Yeah, it's just like at the moment. I'm not hungry, I just had an egg omelette. But I just thought: "Hm, how about some chocolate." It's not, that I can't get it into my mouth fast enough. I just like the taste of it, it satisfies me :lol:

Hugs, Stef

jenvan Collaborator

I get sweet cravings for sure. I think mine is related to a sugar/fructose intolerance or hypoglycemia. Ever notice a reaction in your digestive system or in energy levels before and after eating sugar?

celiachap Apprentice

I was talking to a friend of mine the other day about my celiac disease, and he said that he and his brother remember going to restaurants in the 1970's with our friends, and that I would always have a candy bar BEFORE dinner. I didn't even remember doing this, but apparently it was amusing to them. A lot of things make sense after you are diagnosed. I guess the candy made me less sick than the foods did, and filled me up so that I wouldn't get as ill.

Archived