This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Introduction And Question

pedsarnp

pedsarnp Newbie

Hello to everyone. I was diagnosed with celiac disease about 3 months ago. My bloodwork was negative but biopsy positive. Now on a gluten-free diet I am free of the horrible abdominal pain and other symptoms I was experiencing.

I am a mother of five kids. I work in healthcare as a pediatric nurse practitioner. I lost a baby in a second trimester miscarriage about 8 months ago. After that miscarriage I started having symptoms which ultimately led to my diagnosis. I don't know if the celiac disease caused the miscarriage or if perhaps the pregnancy and miscarriage triggered the celiac disease. Never will know for sure.

I am somewhat used to a restricted diet as my son has anaphylaxis to dairy and nuts. We have also been vegetarian for 20 + years. Now with the celiac disease our grocery shopping just gets harder and harder. LOL

As a mom of 5 young kids in a busy household I am struggling with how to keep my kitchen and food prep space safe for me. What have others done to prevent cross contamination? Any good tips for food storage and handling would really be appreciated.

Also, any vegetarian celiacs out there? When I was busy I loved just grabbing a veggie burger and popping it in the microwave. I cannot find a gluten free brand of veggie burgers. Any ideas or recipes that freeze well?

TIA. I'm looking forward to hanging around and learning from all you gluten-free experts!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator

Since gluten intolerance is inherited, I would not be surprized if more of your children have this problem, but are yet to show symptoms, It might be worth going gluten-free for everyone, simplifying your kitchen and grocery shopping.

Also, any vegetarian celiacs out there? When I was busy I loved just grabbing a veggie burger and popping it in the microwave. I cannot find a gluten free brand of veggie burgers. Any ideas or recipes that freeze well?

Yep, that's me for one anyway. For a quick gluten-free on-the-go solution, I'll have instant mashed potatoes. Three mins in the microwave. I did happen to locate gluten-free veggie burgers recently though. I've not tried them as of yet: Open Original Shared Link

kevsmom Contributor
Hello to everyone. I was diagnosed with celiac disease about 3 months ago. My bloodwork was negative but biopsy positive. Now on a gluten-free diet I am free of the horrible abdominal pain and other symptoms I was experiencing.

I am a mother of five kids. I work in healthcare as a pediatric nurse practitioner. I lost a baby in a second trimester miscarriage about 8 months ago. After that miscarriage I started having symptoms which ultimately led to my diagnosis. I don't know if the celiac disease caused the miscarriage or if perhaps the pregnancy and miscarriage triggered the celiac disease. Never will know for sure.

I am somewhat used to a restricted diet as my son has anaphylaxis to dairy and nuts. We have also been vegetarian for 20 + years. Now with the celiac disease our grocery shopping just gets harder and harder. LOL

As a mom of 5 young kids in a busy household I am struggling with how to keep my kitchen and food prep space safe for me. What have others done to prevent cross contamination? Any good tips for food storage and handling would really be appreciated.

TIA. I'm looking forward to hanging around and learning from all you gluten-free experts!

I use a lot of paper towels to prepare my food, rather than risk laying in on the counter.

I agree with Rice Guy. As a nurse practioner you probably know that celiac disease is hereditary. It would probably be a good idea to have your kids checked...Yeah, look at me suggesting what you should do. I was diagnosed with celiac disease 6 months ago, and have put off having my 17 year old son tested because I was afraid of what would be found. I finally made an appointment, and he does have a doctor's appointment in a few weeks.

pedsarnp Newbie
Since gluten intolerance is inherited, I would not be surprized if more of your children have this problem, but are yet to show symptoms, It might be worth going gluten-free for everyone, simplifying your kitchen and grocery shopping

I wish that were a realistic option. I'm not sure we could afford to feed all 7 of us on a dairy, nut and gluten free diet. Ugh. Even if we could afford it, I struggle with the idea of imposing such a restricted lifestyle on my kids when they are all totally symptom free. It's hard enough on them to be vegetarian in a meat eating world. Then my son also has to live meat, dairy and nut free. I don't know how much more they would take from me without a total mutiny. :D

Tangent: What is the ideal age to have an asymptomatic child of a celiac patient tested?

Guest nini

I would seriously consider making the whole family gluten free to avoid any cross contamination issues. If that is not possible then buy lots of ziplock baggies, tupperware type containers, paper towels... store your food in ziplock baggies, prepare food on paper towels, store leftovers of your food in plastic containers and freeze for quick meals...

you would need your own set of condiments labeled with a big ol gluten-free for gluten free and a big red X on anything that is not safe... you would need your own toaster, separate cookware (unless you have stainless steel)

I've tried those Sunshine burgers before... ugh, nasty...

Felidae Enthusiast

It is tough financially to eat unlike the mainstream. Especially since I am a student. The only meals that my husband has that contain gluten are breakfast (cereal) and lunch (bread and deli meat). Everything else that is in my house is gluten-free. I find it is just easier to create one gluten-free supper. But I don't have kids, so I can't help you on that one.

I prepare my food on my own separate cutting board or a plate.

traveljunkie Rookie

Hi, it's nice to talk to another gluten free vegetarian. I can relate to the difficulties in meal options! It's very frustrating at times. My oldest son and I are gluten intolerant after taking antibiotics. My husband and younger son are not and they also eat meat. My oldest is a vegan but I still eat eggs and occasionally cheese (which usually bothers me). So I struggle with pleasing everyone...I don't cook meat though...so if they want some my hubby has to cook it. As far as keeping the kitchen clean of gluten, we have a seperate toaster(I'm sure you do) and really watch the crumbs from "their" bread! That is the only gluten product that is our home at the moment. So it's pretty easy to contain.

I'm curious what are some of your families favorite veg. dinner recipes? I'm always searching for new recipes.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Tangent: What is the ideal age to have an asymptomatic child of a celiac patient tested?

I don't think there is an "ideal" age however, I believe testing under the age of two is less accurate. I agree with the other posters...having everyone eating gluten-free would make things alot easier.

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast
my son has anaphylaxis to dairy and nuts.

Hi there,

welcome on our message board :) . If you're a nurse practitioner you probably already know this. A sensitivity against milk and other food allergies are often caused by celiac. That means the other posters already said this. It might not hurt to get the kids (or only your son with the anaphylaxis against dairy and nuts) checked.

Hugs, Stef

Archived