This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

3 year old Biopsy concern

Mamalarge

Mamalarge Newbie

Hi. I'm brand new to all of this. Long story short but basically my three year old tested positive for antibodies last week. His biopsy is coming up and I've read some debate about it. I'm nervous for him to be fully sedated and if so want to make sure it's worth it. He's been off gluten for a week which his gi assured me wouldn't change the biopsy results in two weeks. He's like a new kid so I'm just wondering why put him through it. I have two other kids that we now want do the blood test on and I'm guessing a biopsy would help for them to know. Again just hesitant. Thank you

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AndreaG Newbie

Hi Mamalarge,

I know the biopsy is scary, but it is the only way to get him officially diagnosed.  Without out that official diagnosis it makes it MUCH harder to protect him in school.  Everyone basically just thinks you're an overprotective, crazy mama bear.  With the diagnosis you can set up health plans and 505 plans (I didn't go this far, but have read many posts about those who have - it basically proclaims that he has a disability).  Your school will ask about allergies, which they take very seriously, unless you are self-diagnosed that is.  My son was diagnosed at 4, months before starting kindergarten and we were very glad we had the official diagnosis so no one could question us.  As for the biopsy itself, it was very quick, he went right to sleep and woke up quickly afterwards so it wasn't that bad for either of us.  Good luck.  The journey seems overwhelming at first but it is manageable.  And it will all be normal to him eventually.  

Take care!

squirmingitch Veteran

He needs to be eating gluten right up until the biopsy. A cracker per day should do it.

Plenty of kids have had an endoscopy. As I understand it, they don't even put them fully to sleep but he still won't remember a thing.

He will need an official dx for a 504 plan in school & later in college. You could ask the doc if he will dx based on serum panel alone but if he says no then you need to go forth with the endoscopy & get an official dx.

frieze Community Regular

please! pay mind to the fact that he needs gluten in his system every day till the biopsy!  don't waste his/your time doing it if not.

Archived