This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Newly Diagnosed

Newly Diagnosed Apprentice

I am going on vacation in two weeks (my first vacation since diagnosis) and am wondering how to prepare and plan ahead.  I will be staying in a place with a full kitchen so I will be able to eat in and cook my own meals.  There will be kitchen stuff available for use, but am wondering if I should bring my own pot/pan or if maybe I can just wash the stuff provided before using and maybe use foil in any baking dishes.  Plus, our family has some favorite restaurants that do not offer gluten free that we will probably go to.  Is it safe to order a salad and specify no dressing, crutons or bread at a place where a lot of fried food is made?  Or would you just not eat there at all?  I am sure I could ask questions of how things are prepared, etc., but one concern is that it is often difficult to understand because a lot of the seasonal employees have heavy accents.  Could anyone share their travel tips with me so I can prepare?     

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gemini Experienced

As far as pots and pans, if the ones stocked for use in the rental are stainless or aluminum, I usually wash them really well on arrival and use them.  But sometimes they have Teflon stuff and I will not use old Teflon pans or something else that could hold trapped food and create a cc problem.  So, if you do not know, then bring a pan or two of your most used, versatile pots.  Pans for baking can be covered in foil quite easily.  Bring a colander if you are going to strain anything and a couple of your wooden spoons. Anything else that is metal can be washed well.  If the worst happens and there is something you cannot use and really need as far as a utensil, there is always a store with cheap stuff to buy for the vacation period.  Make this as easy as possible for yourself...you are on vacation.

Either bring a toaster to use or buy the toaster bags...they work really well.

Here is a website for you to check out for restaurants that are safe.....Open Original Shared Link  You pop in a zip code and voila!  listings of gluten-free friendly restaurants in your area with good reviews on many by Celiacs.  I find it invaluable.  You know.......you should be able to go out to eat also.  In the past, I have found that if I cannot eat safely at a restaurant where others feel they need to eat, then I make my own plans with others in the family and we go to the places I can eat safely.  You could go there and if you do not feel safe eating there, don't.  But your family should be willing to eat at another place on another night of your choice.  Whatever you do, take a look at the website because its good!

Above all, relax and enjoy yourself!

GF-Cheetah Cub Contributor

We have traveled quite a bit with our 12 year-old celiac daughter.  

When we have access to a full kitchen, we do not bring our own pots and pans.   I would find a good pan, and give it a few rounds of good washing, a lot of muscle power.   This would be designated as her pan.   I avoid any wood kitchen utensil.   If they only have a wooden cutting board, I would go out and buy a plastic one.

Definitely buy a good roll of tin foil.   I use that to wrap around anything going into the oven, as well as BBQ grills.   Her food never touch the BBQ grills.

As far as the restaurant, you should call them, and see if they are familiar with what you are talking about, if the restaurant staff knows what gluten free meant, and is confident that they can accommodate, then maybe a salad is safe.    If they seem clueless, then you should bring your own food to the restaurant.   When we travel, I always call the restaurant first, and ask a few questions before we would go there.

Happy travels!

Newly Diagnosed Apprentice

Thanks everyone! 

gilligan Enthusiast

I have a small Calphalon skillet, silicone spatula, collapsible colander, and flex cutting board I travel with.  I keep it in a tote that I pull off shelf when I travel.  Other than that, I do the same as the above posters.

flowerqueen Community Regular

I also agree with what's been said, but I would not under any circumstances use a wooden spoon, as they are porous and would absorb any gluten, for example, in washing up water that may possibly have glutened pots/pans in and also definitely not a wooden cutting board. The tin foil is good advice too, I would cover up any gluten free food up with it before putting in the oven, as you never know if any gluten has touched the top of the oven and then when heated, may drop down into your food - no matter how carefully you wash the top of the oven, things can be missed. 

Archived