This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Honest diapers

heatman

heatman Rookie

I used Honest diapers with my first child before I was diagnosed. We have a newborn and before I start using Honest diapers again (which do have wheat in them) I'm wondering if anyone has had an issue with these diapers. I don't imagine you get exposed to much gluten, if any, by touching them but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Thanks for your feedback!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pschwab Enthusiast

Yikes, I never thought of gluten in diapers! My two year old has celiac and wears Pampers Swaddlers with no issues. We've never used Honest diapers so I can't address your question. Thank you for bringing it to my attention about diapers though!

cyclinglady Grand Master

I do not eat my dog's food, but I make sure it is gluten free because it reduces my stress levels and folks have been glutened by it.     If you want to be really environmental friendly, then use cloth.  The Honest company does not even know if the wheat is processed enough to eliminate gluten per their FAQ page.    If they do not know......you know what I mean?  

Consider other things that might be more environmentally friendly or have a greater impact.  

ravenwoodglass Mentor

My vote goes for cloth also.  Better for the environment and much less expensive plus so useful for other things when the little one no longer needs them.

pschwab Enthusiast

I don't want to be rude, but not everyone wants to use cloth diapers. I'm all for helping the environment, and if you can manage to use cloth more power to you. My family chose not to use cloth for many personal reasons. "heatman" if you'd like to change to cloth diapers, they would be for sure gluten free and it would be great for many reasons. Our nutritionist said that the gluten has to be ingested to harm you. You would only have to worry if you have open wounds that are touching the diapers or if you don't wash your hands after handling the diapers and before you eat. I'm sure most handling of diapers involves handwashing ;) and I'm sure you wash your hands before eating anyway. So in my very limited experience with celiac so far (3 month in with a 2 yr old as the celiac), I'd say you are fine. If you are in doubt, talk to your GI dr about a nutritionist who specializes in celiac. That's what we did. Good luck!

heatman Rookie

Thanks everyone. I just spoke with Honest and they said the wheat is just in the absorbent material and not in the cloth. I asked what plant material is in the cloth and she said she'd get back to me. I definitely prefer to be safe rather than sorry. I'm considering cloth diapers but I'm just not sure they would work with our family. Pampers and Huggies are gluten free (they're what I'm using now) but I prefer a more environmentally friendly diapers. It's amazing the things you have to think about to avoid getting sick!

Archived