This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pie crust

thegirlsmom

thegirlsmom Apprentice

I really need a good pie crust recipe!  One that holds together, and I could use for fried pies

• 2 weeks later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Fundog Enthusiast

I see no one has responded to your query.  Unfortunately I have yet to try making a pie crust.  It was something I never mastered before going gluten free.  Have you looked on Pinterest?  You might find something there.

Jmg Mentor

I havent used it, not much of a baker tbh, but this one looks good: Open Original Shared Link

• 5 months later...
Ennis-TX Grand Master

I got two for you one for pie crust that is like a gram cracker pie crust, and one that is great for fried pies.

Grain Free Pie Crust

Cooking oil or parchment paper
2 cups almond flour
1/4 tsp. salt plus1/8 tsp. salt
Pinch of stevia
2 Tbsp. plus 2 tsp. coconut oil, melted
2 Tbsp. pure maple syrup

1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Either grease the bottom of an 8.5-in. spring form pan or pie pan OR line an 8-in. square baking pan with parchment paper.
3. In bowl, combine all ingredients; stir to form crumbles.
4. Transfer crumbly dough to prepared pan; press dough down evenly and firmly with hands.
5. Bake 14 minutes.
6. After baking, remove; press down crust with a spoon. (For a 9-in. pan, increase all ingredients by 1.5 times. Baking time will remain the same.)

The other is one I used for making empanadas (mexican fried or baked stuffed pastry)

4 sweet plantains
salt
Filling of choice (savory cheese and chive, Ground meats, or sweet pie fillings)

1. Bring a pot of water to a boil over medium high heat with a bit of salt
2. Skin and all chop into 2-3" pieces and boil for 20mins til soft
3. Remove from water and remove the peels, cut them in half and scrape out the seeds, proceed to mash up the soft remaining plantains with a pinch of salt until you get a dough like consistency and let cool,
4. Wet your fingers with some water and take a a handful of it mashing it out in your hands in a circular motion making it flat, fill with your filling of choice and close and roll it up. Proceed to either fry it or you can bake it, Times on these depend on the filling. I like to fill it with pumpkin puree and roll in cinnamon sugar for the classic ones my grandma used to make.

squirmingitch Veteran

Ennis, would the plaintains you use for the empanadas be very ripe or not ripe at all or somewhere in between?

Ennis-TX Grand Master

I like to use them when they are yellow and sweeter but still firm, if they are riper they tend to be sweeter.

squirmingitch Veteran

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
Ennis-TX Grand Master
On 1/1/2017 at 10:54 AM, squirmingitch said:

Thanks!

How did the plantains work for you. I did some experiments when making the baked version for my grandmas funeral anniversary. I learned that green unripe ones give it a more potato starchy yeild and are really hard to get to form right and require a food processor and water. Also found baking them at 375 for about 25-30mins with the yellow ripe ones (Yellow and black splotchy while still being firm) works pretty good. You have to boil them til they start to pop out the skins on the ends and best to have the pieces under 2" in length when you chop them up to be boiled. Mine turned out great and made my mother quite happy that I had picked it up filling the empanadas with a filling of pumpkin puree and cinnamon and tossing them in cinnamon sugar before baking. Just like grandmas........almost (She was great at making huge ones and somehow my texture is a tad off from hers.) I know she made a black bean puree version and a pumpkin and cinnamon version often baked, and fried versions with a odd kind of cheese and sauteed onions, or meat versions.

squirmingitch Veteran

I haven't been able to find any plantains yet. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is sort of a po dunk town and sometimes it can be hard to find certain things. I have my eyes open for them though and as soon as I find some I'm going to try it. Thanks for the tips though!

Ohhhhhhhhhh, the fried ones with cheese & sauteed onions or fried meat versions...... You're making my mouth water.

Archived