This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Just Learning! Are These Things Safe?

Becky6

Becky6 Enthusiast

Hello! We just started the gluten-free diet with our daughter last night! While I know the obvious things that contain gluten I am not sure on some of the other things.

Anyone know of a regular brand of lunch meat that is safe?

Is Modified corn starch ok?

Is maltodextrin a no no?

What marshmellows all safe?

I have Cub foods brand ok?

Here are the ingredients:

Corn syrup, sugar, food starch modified, water, gelatin, natural and artifical flavor, tetrasodium phosphate.

Are they unsafe because of the natural and articial flavors?

What regular brands of syrup are ok?

I am guessing my cub foods brand is not ok cause it has caramel color and natural and artifical flavors.

Anyone know about Welch's grape soda? My daugther loves this!! Is it ok?

I just get so confused when it comes to the artifical and natural flavors.

Thanks!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator

First, if you haven't checked yet, here's a list of safe and unsafe ingredients and foods:

https://www.celiac.com/st_main.html?p_catid...-27105010774.16

The modified starches are a bit tricky, as some can contain gluten. I think the ones that are only corn should be safe, but how to be sure there wasn't anything else used during processing is sometimes difficult at best. The maltodextrin is also hard to discern sometimes, but read the list and see.

The search should help you locate threads on this board about various food items too.

It is a good idea to contact the companies for the products which you have questions about. Visit their web sites and hopefully they offer contact info.

Of course, you will no doubt learn a lot from this forum as I and so many others have found. I'm still learning a lot here.

Becky6 Enthusiast

The list didn't help me with those products. I couldn't find those ingredients on there. So that is why I am stuck!

frenchiemama Collaborator

Modified corn starch should be ok, and I believe that maltodextrin *made in the us* is safe. You're going to have to call Cub about those marshmallows though. I don't know anything about their store brands.

RiceGuy Collaborator
The list didn't help me with those products. I couldn't find those ingredients on there. So that is why I am stuck!

Take another look at the forbidden list. There are some guidelines for maltodextrin (at the bottom), and some starches are also mentioned. Corn itself has no gluten, but again there can be other ingredients. It is generally safe from what I've been reading though.

Guest nini

Kraft makes safe marshmallows...

Oscar Meyer has some safe lunchmeats... Hormel has a list of all of their gluten free products, Carl Buddig lunchmeats are supposedly safe, also Wal Mart's Great Value brand has started labeling some of their products as gluten free, this includes lunchmeats.

I would check on the Welch's grape soda. I think I remember reading somewhere that Welch's juices are ok but that the grape soda is not. When in doubt always check with the manufacturer.

Jnkmnky Collaborator
Hello! We just started the gluten-free diet with our daughter last night! While I know the obvious things that contain gluten I am not sure on some of the other things.

Anyone know of a regular brand of lunch meat that is safe?

Is Modified corn starch ok?

Is maltodextrin a no no?

What marshmellows all safe?

I have Cub foods brand ok?

Here are the ingredients:

Corn syrup, sugar, food starch modified, water, gelatin, natural and artifical flavor, tetrasodium phosphate.

Are they unsafe because of the natural and articial flavors?

What regular brands of syrup are ok?

I am guessing my cub foods brand is not ok cause it has caramel color and natural and artifical flavors.

Anyone know about Welch's grape soda? My daugther loves this!! Is it ok?

I just get so confused when it comes to the artifical and natural flavors.

Thanks!!

If you want to stick with these brands, call and verify the gluten status or look on line to see if they elaborate on the source of the starches there. Once you find out their policy, you'll know what you can and can't keep. Some items may need to be replaced with gluten free versions. I use 100% maple syrup for my syrup... it's easier that way. Caramel color doesn't = gluten necessarily. Natural and artificial flavors doesn't = gluten necessarily.... You have to check with the company. Kraft will elaborate on the sources, so Kraft products are good, safe bets. If you see MFS or natural flavors or whatever... Kraft will put parenthesis around the gluten containing source. If there's nothing there.... it's gluten free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

There are also some other brands that are like Kraft and will not hide anything. If you would like that list it can be found on here in numerous places or you are welcome to email me and I will send them to you.

It gets easier as time goes on and you learn what to look for.

VydorScope Proficient
I would check on the Welch's grape soda. I think I remember reading somewhere that Welch's juices are ok but that the grape soda is not. When in doubt always check with the manufacturer.

Acording to the Delphi list Welches grape soda is NOT GLUTEN FREE

Jnkmnky Collaborator
Acording to the Delphi list Welches grape soda is NOT GLUTEN FREE

Really? That's nuts. I didn't know that. :o

Becky6 Enthusiast

Bummer!! I did email them today but their label has natural and artifical flavors on it. I will let everyone know what I find out!

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I contacted them less than a month ago and this was the response:

Thank you for inquiring about Welch's products.

All Welch's products are gluten free. In all instances, however, we recommend that individuals consult with their physician regarding dietary decisions.

I do not know if this includes the soda or not.

Lisa Mentor

Therein is much misinformation. We all rely on this post for the most accurate information. I may have been guilty of this myself, but please do no post something that is safe when it cannot be firmly verified.

Products are most confusing for all of us, other than those who have been doing this for years. I myself am just a few months into this. I rely on accurate sources, those that I can seek out myself, the delfi list and those on the post that have been doing research for an extended time.

If there is any doubt, check with the companies. :)

Becky6 Enthusiast

Was that Welch's juices or the company that makes the soda?

Thanks! And hopefully I will be hearing from them soon!

jenvan Collaborator

Also, ck out the list of manufacturers below that will gluten any gluten form on the ingredient label...

Aunt Nelly’s

Balance

Baskin Robbins

Ben&Jerry

Betty Crocker

Blue Bunny

Breyers

Campbells

Cascadian Farms

Celestial Seasonings

Country Crock

Dove

Edy’s

General Mills

Good Humor

Green Giant

Haagen Daz

Hellman’s

Hershey

Hormel

Hungry Jack

Jiffy

Knorr

Kozy Snack

Kraft

Libby’s

Lipton

Martha White

McCormick

Nabisco

Nestle

Old El Paso

Ortega

Pillsbury

Popsicle

Progresso

Russell Stover

Seneca Foods

Smucker

Stokely’s

Sunny Delight

T Marzetti

Tyson

Unilever

Wishbone

Yoplait

Zatarain’s

eeyor-fan Contributor
There are also some other brands that are like Kraft and will not hide anything. If you would like that list it can be found on here in numerous places or you are welcome to email me and I will send them to you.

It gets easier as time goes on and you learn what to look for.

Con Agra does not hide ingrediants either and in all my company contacting I've found that Con Agra is the easiest company to deal with, above Kraft. Check out my old posts, you will see lots of info from different companies contacted in the last few weeks.

Bridge

mommida Enthusiast

Always check with the manufacturer. Maltodextrin can contain gluten, and a lot of people think that if it is an U.S. product it is safe.

Well I was reading the label for Hain pure foods Onion soup w/padano cheese and the Mediterranean Soup both list wheat maltodextrin, and Glocuse Syrup (from wheat). {Source of information is the United Natural Foods Buying club news Dec 2005, and the company's home base CO, USA} {on-line label updated 11-22-2005}

I am glad the company is clear about their ingredients as modified food starch is specified as modified corn startch.

Laura

P.S. This is the first time I have found maltodextrin and glucose syrup in a US product derived from wheat.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Maltodextrin in the US is safe unless it says it is not. That is a law that everyone must follow.

Medications are excluded from that rule though.

VydorScope Proficient
Therein is much misinformation. We all rely on this post for the most accurate information. I may have been guilty of this myself, but please do no post something that is safe when it cannot be firmly verified.

Thats why I always list the source. Validity of any internet post is only as good as the source and the intergrty of the poster.

mommida Enthusiast

Check with the manufacturer. Until every company starts putting the grain source of the ingredient we still have to be wary for barley, rye and oats which are not on the top 8 allergens.

Wheat free is not the same as gluten free.

The best advice is stick to the brands that have the more informative labels and clear policies on gluten in their products.

Laura

Archived