This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Restaurants with Flour in the Air

Zozo16

Zozo16 Rookie

I am constantly getting warned about restaurants that seem extremely knowledgeable about gluten free and have a great menu, but can't guarantee it because they have flour in the air. For example, some mexican places make their own tortillas. Do you still eat at places that warn about flour? I think the only other option would be to only eat at places with a completely gluten free kitchen, which is really hard to find. 

Also, when shopping for food at the grocery store. What products do you require to have the gluten free label to ensure no cross contamination during manufacturing and what products do you buy without the label that have no glutenous ingredients? Thanks!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Jane Anderson has written some good information about this topic.  (I am not affiliated with Jane.)  Here is just article of many:

Open Original Shared Link

Scott Adams Grand Master

There isn't any scientific evidence that breathing in tiny amounts of gluten would be an issue for those with celiac disease. That said, there are definitely some super sensitive individuals who do avoid this, and especially those with DH. On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 is the highest, how sensitive are you?

Zozo16 Rookie

I am more worried about if the flour in the air will contaminate the food enough for it to affect me. I am not sure how sensitive I am. I just found out in May. I do not have a gallbladder as well, so it makes it difficult to determine what is causing the stomach upset. I accidentally ate about 8 pretzels that were not gluten-free and ended up bloating, getting flushed, hot flash, foggy brain, fatigue shortly after eating it..

cyclinglady Grand Master

Most of us take a year or longer to really feel well.  Why?  There's a huge learning curve to the diet.  Each one of us has different levels of damage and sensitivities to gluten.  Because of intestinal damage, we also can have many intolerances (leaky gut/zonulin/it's real).   It's hard to figure it out (especially when you feel like crap) and that's why healing takes so long even though science has proven that villi can heal fast.  

Open Original Shared Link

I would strongly recommend NOT eating out for six months to a year.  Did I say that?  Yes!  It's hard enough to shop for yourself, let alone let someone else prepare food for you.  Every time you eat out, it's like playing Russian Roulette.  I avoided eating out for a year after my last glutening, but successfully, survived a three week trip to Europe this summer.  I researched like crazy before we left home.   We only went to restaurants recommended by other celiacs.  If we could not find one, I had my handy and attractive collaspible cooler with me.  We purchased food from various grocery stores and made a picnic.  It was worth the risk of eating out....who can resist a trip to Europe?  But at home, when I need to be at my best (working pays the bills), I do not eat out.

We do eat at a gluten free restaurant that is 100%.  But there were times that even those gluten-free things did not go down well (gluten-free bread often has Xanthan Gum as a binder and it makes me sick still!).  So, a sandwich out is great for hubby, but not me.  I do best being grain free.  Funny how we are all different.  

I don't have a gallbaldder either (I think celiac disease was the demise of mine personally, but no proof).  Luckily, I don't have any digestive issues as a result. 

Give yourself time.  I know it is hard to be patient, but that's the way it is.  I promise, it will get better!

So, do I go to a pie/coffee shop?  No.  That's too much flour or exposure for even a coffee with friends.  It could be just mental, but it took me 3 months to recover from my last glutening (I don't even know what glutened me....) and another three to regain lost weight.  I am very careful.  I will dine with my parents, but I just order a soda (treat) or a glass of wine (don't drink until your gut is healed is my advice).  

Hang in there!  

Zozo16 Rookie

Thank you everyone for taking the time to provide me with some good advice. I really appreciate it! 

Archived