Get email alerts Get E-mail Alerts Sponsor: Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE email alerts

• Announcements

• Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Store. For Additional Information: Subscribe to: Journal of Gluten Sensitivity

Desperate For Pancakes

4 posts in this topic

Hey guys and gals....

I am dying to eat something sweet for breakfast and french toast or pancakes sounds absolutely wonderful!!

..... I am allergic to corn, eggs, wheat (like the rest of us), nuts, dairy (all forms as far as I know, not willing to risk it)... well, and I think thats it. Ooooh no wait, Soy too. Uuuuugh

Anyway, I would Loooooooovvveeee a recipie for something along these lines.

Also, what type of syrup would be ok considering my multiple allergies..... Would just plain ol simple 100% maple syrup work?

Hope you guys got something, anything. I have a sweet tooth calling!

Gosh, I can't think of a pancake recipe that would work for you, but if you find one, maple syrup should work. I mean, maybe you'll find out you can't have that either, but it wouldn't contain any of the things you know you can't eat and I can't think where you'd get cross-contamination problems or anything with maple syrup.

Hi :-)

Ener-G Foods make a great egg replacer, I think it's potato based rather than corn. You could make pancakes with a rice/potato/tapioca flour mix (3 parts white rice flour, 1 part potato starch - NOT flour - 1 part tapico starch, 1 part brown rice flour) and use the egg replacer and rice milk.

I don't have my cookbook right by me offhand, but I'll look up my pancake/waffle recipe after I get back from Easter service.

I know how you feel....when I was first diagnosed, I was also shocked to find out I was allergic to: shellfish, crustaceans (these two I knew about..I get incredibly sick...nearly hospital sick), garlic, onions, all peppers, tomatoes, yeast, rice (this was a bugger....nearly ALL gluten-free baking contains rice!), beans, peas, bananas, grapes, buckwheat, and a few others.

After almost 18 months of being gluten-free, the only ones that remain are the peas/beans, onions, garlics, peppers, shellfish and yeast. I can now eat rice and the others...yay! :-)

Anyway, you should be able to revise most gluten-free recipes to work with the fava bean flour mix or rice flour mix like I mentioned above. You can also experiment with flours...I've found the *best* mixture for me to be white rice, potato and tapoica starch and amaranth flour. That provides a nice "bite" to the mix and is nearly like a normal wheat flour blend.

Good luck and let me know if you'd like my recipe :-)

Amaranth pancakes are tasty!

The recipe on the Bob's Red Mill package calls for:

1 egg (so you'd want to find the egg replacer the other person mentioned)

1/4 cup apple juice

1 tsp oil

1/4 cup amaranth flour

1/4 tapioca flour

3 tbsp arrowroot powder

1/4 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp baking powder

1/8 tsp salt

Add a little honey on top - or even better, fruit jam - and I love 'em.