14 replies to this topic

#1 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,698 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 07:06 AM

Been wanting to color my hair again. I called about ColorSpa temporary and it is safe, and then found this email. Thought others might want the info too.

"The safety of our consumers is our highest priority. As a global leader, the L'Oréal group of companies, which includes L'Oréal Paris, is dedicated to rigorous standards of manufacturing excellence that result in the highest product quality. The products we sell meet the most stringent standards for safety.

L'Oréal Paris Preference and Excellence Creme have not been manufactured using gluten-containing ingredients. However, we must say that we cannot guarantee that materials in our products have not been, at some point in their manufacturing or processing, in contact with a gluten-containing ingredient.

The following list of ingredients that are used in our products, are those that contain wheat and other grains. This list may also be used by the celiac patient to identify gluten-containing ingredients. This list gives the standard industry names for ingredients as found in the International Cosmetic Ingredient Dictionary.

Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein
Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Flour
Cyclodextrin
Dextrin
Dextrin Palmitate
Hydrolyzed Oat Flour
Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein
Hydrolyzed Wheat Flour
Hydrolyzed Wheat Gluten
Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein
Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein/PVP Crosspolymer
Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch
Maltodextrin
Secale Cereale (Rye) Seed Flour
Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Extract
Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Oil
Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Gluten
Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Starch
Wheat Amino Acids
Wheat Germ Glycerides
Wheat Germamidopropalkonium Chloride
Wheat Protein
Wheatgermamidopropyl Ethyldimonium Ethosulfate
Yeast Extract

All the ingredients we use in a product are listed on the package or on the label of the product itself. Comparing this list with the ingredients listed on our products will help you to identify the ingredients you would like to avoid.

If you would like to request an ingredient list for a specific product, please call us at 1-800-631-7358, Monday - Friday, 9 am to 7 pm, ET.

We hope this information is helpful. "
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 09:25 AM

I use Garnier Nutrisse and have never been glutened--I have used Herbal Essence with no problem too. Deb
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#3 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 02:33 PM

I called L'Oreal today and the rep. told me that Feria--the kind I use--"has no gluten ingredients whatsoever". I didn't see any on the label--so I went ahead and used it, but its good to know for sure :)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#4 Noelle126

Noelle126

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 03:17 PM

THat's good to know for me a little later in life...I thought about it the last time I colored my mom's hair and I was like "hmmm I wonder if this is Gluten Free"

This consumes my mind way too much! :rolleyes:
~ Angela

"If you love the life you live, you will live the life of love"

#5 bluelotus

bluelotus

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 08:01 PM

Thanks for posting, I've always wondered about yeast extract.....
The temple bell stops
but the sound keeps coming
out of the flowers
-Zen Haiku Master Basho

#6 bean

bean

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 10:09 PM

Umm... why are you guys concerned about your haircoloring products? :huh:

If they don't get in your mouth you should be fine! Unless you are rinsing them out in the shower and the coloring runs into your mouth -- I don't think you need to worry about it ;)

- Michelle :wub:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Michelle :)

Positive blood tests 4/29/05 (tTG & IgA)
*Osteoporosis (at 32!)
*Heartburn/Reflux (*ouch!*)
*Lifelong battle w/depression
*Dental enamel didn't form right when I was little (cavities cavities cavities)
*Neuropsych analysis lists all sorts of learning disabilities - which may be attributed to brain injury from an old accident or may be from celiac, who knows!

Had biopsy May 11th, 2005 - villi are FLAT! :(
gluten-free since May 11th :)

#7 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 02:02 AM

Well Bean--you may be wrong. Some say gluten can be absorbed through the skin and some say it can't. The "cans" are the ones I worry about--I dont take chances.
http://www.enabling....n/spnk9801.html This about touching it: http://www.autismndi...=20040922164318

Then there are some of us who break out in hives when it touches our skin--so never say never--please! Deb
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#8 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,698 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 04:24 AM

Umm... why are you guys concerned about your haircoloring products? :huh:

If they don't get in your mouth you should be fine! Unless you are rinsing them out in the shower and the coloring runs into your mouth -- I don't think you need to worry about it ;)

This may not be a concern for you however it is for lots of us. I lost a lot of hair prediagnosis and I get blisters that take months to heal. Frankly I don't care if I do or don't get a gut reaction from topical application, I do get noticeable symptoms. Do you put your hands to your hair? Do you get caught in the rain? Does your hair ever get in your mouth? Many have had problems with symptoms not abating gluten-free and have seen them go away when gluten containing toiletries are eliminated. Just because you don't think you react, and note I said You don't think you react, not that you don't react, don't think we are extremeists to want to eliminate this poison from anything we come in contact with. :)

Edited by ravenwoodglass, 29 November 2005 - 04:25 AM.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

#9 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 05:11 AM

Ravenwoodglass--Right on!! :)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#10 bean

bean

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 07:54 AM

This may not be a concern for you however it is for lots of us. I lost a lot of hair prediagnosis and I get blisters that take months to heal. Frankly I don't care if I do or don't get a gut reaction from topical application, I do get noticeable symptoms. Do you put your hands to your hair? Do you get caught in the rain? Does your hair ever get in your mouth? Many have had problems with symptoms not abating gluten-free and have seen them go away when gluten containing toiletries are eliminated. Just because you don't think you react, and note I said You don't think you react, not that you don't react, don't think we are extremeists to want to eliminate this poison from anything we come in contact with. :)

Sorry if my post came across making you think that I think you're being extreme! I do not think that at all. I got rid of all of my shampoos/lotions/etc. that have gluten in them a long time ago. I just hadn't considered the idea of haircolor getting in your mouth.

AND - I forgot about those who have trouble with skin contact & gluten (dermatitis herp... sorry I can't spell it :)) (Been away from the board too long ;))

Please forgive me! I'm glad you discovered that topical products cause problems for you & I wish you the best in your healing!!

But hey, don't be so quick to react. I have Celiac too! And I know (very intimately) that you might be reacting when you don't realize it. I was asymptomatic for 32 years and then found out I have osteoporosis because of Celiac. I'm as vigilant as you are - I just don't color my hair and if I did, I wouldn't worry about it getting in my mouth because well.. it's haircolor! And about the hands - don't they give you gloves to wear during application? (I color a friends hair and wear the little gloves) And I had thought that once you have applied it and let is set - you rinse the hair (and I would imagine, the gluten too).

But you are absolutely right - if you have a dermatological reaction then you should be extremely cautious of what touches your skin (scalp).

No offense please! I don't think you are an extremist at all. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Osteoporosis (at 32!)
*Neuropsych analysis lists all sorts of learning disabilities - which may be attributed to brain injury from an old accident or may be from celiac, who knows!

#11 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,698 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 01:27 PM

And I had thought that once you have applied it and let is set - you rinse the hair (and I would imagine, the gluten too).

No offense please! I don't think you are an extremist at all. :)

I didn't take offense, sorry if I came off like I did. The issue with the haircolor for me is that I use a temporary color so it is designed to rinse off a bit at a time with each shampoo. The permanent ones do this to some extent also so my feeling is better safe than sorry. Again sorry if I come off terse, I did not mean to.

#12 bean

bean

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 09:31 PM

I didn't take offense, sorry if I came off like I did. The issue with the haircolor for me is that I use a temporary color so it is designed to rinse off a bit at a time with each shampoo. The permanent ones do this to some extent also so my feeling is better safe than sorry. Again sorry if I come off terse, I did not mean to.

Ahh... temporary haircolor.. that makes perfect sense. I had assumed that you were talking about the permanent stuff. Sorry to have commented without thinking of the possibilities.

You are wise to be extremely careful ;) Last night I was thinking about it and *I* wouldn't use haircolor that had gluten in it either (permanent or not). I don't use anything that contains gluten, and I wont kiss my boyfriend when he uses gluten containing lotions on his face. We're all in the same boat. Nice to meet another person who is as careful as I am ;)

I hope we can be friends! Sorry to have been thoughtless in my first comment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Osteoporosis (at 32!)

#13 Matilda

Matilda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 09:43 PM

#14 bean

bean

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 09:59 PM

Matilda,

Thank you so much! :) It's nice to be back. Especially now that I'm so much calmer and happier. Hopefully now you guys wont be subjected to the "passion" I so often expressed here before :rolleyes:

Hopefully now I will be able to offer some quality advice that might help someone else to feel as good as I do :)

#15 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,698 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 06:11 AM

Ahh... temporary haircolor.. that makes perfect sense. I had assumed that you were talking about the permanent stuff. Sorry to have commented without thinking of the possibilities.

You are wise to be extremely careful ;) Last night I was thinking about it and *I* wouldn't use haircolor that had gluten in it either (permanent or not). I don't use anything that contains gluten, and I wont kiss my boyfriend when he uses gluten containing lotions on his face. We're all in the same boat. Nice to meet another person who is as careful as I am ;)

I hope we can be friends! Sorry to have been thoughtless in my first comment.

Please don't worry about it, I tend to post kind of 'short and sweet' and at times come off very terse. I apologize for that. We can't see faces here so we lose a lot in understanding. I am glad your doing better, seems miraculous doesn't it? Welcome back, new freind, and best wishes.
Krista

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: