This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Brand New

TinkerbellSwt

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

Hello out there. I am new to this board and just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I am 33 years old from NJ and have only been diagnosed with celiacs for about a month. What a month its been. I spent 8 long days in the hospital with no doctor knowing what was wrong with me. By the time they finally admitted me I had no potassium or vitamins left in my system. It was horrible. Now I am trying to cope with the disease and so far I am ok. I am constantly checking sites to get receipes for gluten-free cooking. I appreciate all help and feedback. I am glad I fell upon this site.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Welcome to the board! I'm sorry that you had to go through that :( There are lots of great recipes on this board in the recipe section. If you need any recipes or meal ideas, please ask!

killernj13 Enthusiast

Welcome,

I am from NJ also. Here are some places to shop for gluten-free food if they are near you.

Wegmans - By Woodbridger Center

Trader Joes - Westfield

Whole Foods - Short Hills - Milburn

Good luck with everything.

jenvan Collaborator

welcome--we're glad you're here ! any issues your wanting to help with, any products you're looking for?

Thank you so much for the welcome. Now i know where to come to get some answers!!

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi TinkerbellSwt--Welcome! I am from NJ, too. South Jersey, actually. Glad to hear that you're finally feeling better. As everyone said, this is a great place to come to ask questions, or just talk to some great people all in the same boat. I was DX in June and the board has been a lifesaver for me.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Welcome :) I am sure you will find this site so helpful. Would you like some lists to help as guidelines? If you would like you can contact me and I can send them to you.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator

A warm welcome from myself as well. Hope you recover quickly and completely. I'm finding this site to be a valuable source of information and support. I'm certain you will too.

Noelle126 Apprentice

Welcome! This site has done wonders for me. I use it all of the time and ask questions regularly. Everyone is always willing to help!

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Looks like you've already got quite a welcoming. :)

I'm a little late but welcome to the board...sounds like you had a rough time. Hope you get better soon. :)

Becky6 Enthusiast

Welcome! I am new here as well! This board has been so helpful the past few days in getting a gluten-free diet set up for my daughter! I am so glad I found this board!!

Becky

Looks like you've already got quite a welcoming. :)

I'm a little late but welcome to the board...sounds like you had a rough time. Hope you get better soon. :)

Thank you. May I ask what everyone does when they have been "glutened"? I have been and am home suffering right now. I have a 6 1/2 month old son and he just doesnt seem to understand that mommy is sick yet. Is there anything I can do? Or do I just have to wait it out?

Rusla Enthusiast

Welcome to the site. It has been great site for me and I hope you will find it the same for you.

Claire Collaborator

Do you feel welcome yet? If not, - welcome.

You are going to love this place. Information, support and genuine sharing goes on here. You definitely found the right place.

Come on in and stay awhile. Claire

jenvan Collaborator

TinkerbellSwt -- unfortunately, there is no real quick fix for getting over being glutened. however, most people here have their own ways of coping--some break out the immodium, gingerale, chicken soup. alot of us try and sleep it off or take time out to rest. what are your symptoms ?

My symptoms are severe stomach distress. Constantly running to the bathroom. I get severe pain in my lower abdomen, like below my belly button. If its really really bad, I start throwing up too. I did not get it too bad this time. It is just hard to deal with the pain. It makes it hard to take care of my son too.

Claire Collaborator
TinkerbellSwt -- unfortunately, there is no real quick fix for getting over being glutened. however, most people here have their own ways of coping--some break out the immodium, gingerale, chicken soup. alot of us try and sleep it off or take time out to rest. what are your symptoms ?

Have you every tried charcoal tablets. These absorb. Doctor at Immuno Labs recommended this to me. Claire

jenvan Collaborator

tinkerbell--

that sounds miserable :( you could try an antidiarrheal... i don't take meds myself...just drink sprite--it has always calmed down my system. i know gingerale or ginger root. i'm sure others will have ideas too...

this post might be encouraging to you :)Open Original Shared Link

and this one might give you some ideas to help with abdominal pain: Open Original Shared Link

Carriefaith Enthusiast
I get severe pain in my lower abdomen, like below my belly button. If its really really bad, I start throwing up too. I did not get it too bad this time. It is just hard to deal with the pain. It makes it hard to take care of my son too.
I also get severe stomach pain (upper abdominal), so I know what you are going through. Pain killers don't work on me, so I usually just have to wait it out. I find that laying on my back and rubbing the area helps a lot for me. I would guess that ice packs would help too.
luvs2eat Collaborator

Welcome from me too! Where in NJ are you ? I'm just across the river near New Hope, PA. This is an awesome site with all the answers you ever needed for questions you never thought you'd have to ask!!

pokerprincess Newbie
My symptoms are severe stomach distress. Constantly running to the bathroom. I get severe pain in my lower abdomen, like below my belly button. If its really really bad, I start throwing up too. I did not get it too bad this time. It is just hard to deal with the pain. It makes it hard to take care of my son too.

This sounds insane; but my sister and I have found that

drinking a little potatoe vodka (there is a inexpensive one called

luksusowa or expensive Chopin.) speeds up the process. According to

my sisters Dr. it is kills the infection that has started. She

compared it to how the soldiers used alcohol to kill infection

in wounds. It doesn't take to much. It gets the whole bathroom cycle

over faster.

Good Luck!

K

p.s. I just moved from N.J. I miss it so much

that my friends here in colorado call me Jersey

girl. And guess what my favorite song is!

pokerprincess Newbie
Hello out there. I am new to this board and just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I am 33 years old from NJ and have only been diagnosed with celiacs for about a month. What a month its been. I spent 8 long days in the hospital with no doctor knowing what was wrong with me. By the time they finally admitted me I had no potassium or vitamins left in my system. It was horrible. Now I am trying to cope with the disease and so far I am ok. I am constantly checking sites to get receipes for gluten-free cooking. I appreciate all help and feedback. I am glad I fell upon this site.

You will be come infamous chef! It is now one

of my greatest hobbies and the only way I was

able to convince my brother in-law that I was not

so bad. (he was afraid I didn't have domestic bone

in my body and it would rub off on my sister.)

I wouldn't eat any other way even if I didn't have

celiac. I have found that we are probably ahead of

the rest of the world. slowly and surely I find other

people eating this way just to feel better. My boyfriend

has adopted the diet and kicks himself when he lets

temptation get the best of him.

You will do fine!

Thank you for all the ideas of different things to do when I dont feel well. Today I went to Whole Foods Market. WOW! I had no idea all of this stuff was out there! I got gluten free cookies. (I dont know how they taste yet though) I also purchased a gluten-free apple pie! These I thought were treats that were gone forever for me. Its amazing to me. I agree we are ahead of our time. The more and more people hear about this the more and more will start to live this way. I thank all of you for the warm welcomes I have received and hope to be friendly with all of you!

debmidge Rising Star

Welcome Tinkerbell

Board has been a lifesaver and everyone is a good listener. You'll be very glad you stumbled upon us.

Deb

Archived