This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What does Hashi, Celiac, SIBO, and Gastroparesis all have in common?

ravenu5

ravenu5 Rookie

ME! They all decided to have a party in my body! Woohoo! :)

Anyone else in the same boat? I'm going to be asking for a referral for a nutritionist soon because I'm really feeling defeated by struggling with what I can actually eat.  My GI dr has me on low FODMAP, plus of course gluten-free, and now with the gastroparesis(GP), its smaller meals throughout the day and I'm trying to do soft food/liquid as much as I can until I get some healing done.  The problem is with low FODMAP its no dairy, very few fruit options, etc... which makes protein shakes and such out of the question.  I'd love some applesauce, but that is a no-go.  I'm quite frankly getting sick of rice, fish and eggs.  I love kale salad and its even low FODMAP, but not good for the GP....

Anyone else dealing with something similar? Any good food ideas? 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jmg Mentor

That sucks :( Sorry you're having to cope with such a restricted diet. 

When I make a shake I use coconut milk.  Not sure if that would be allowed on your current diet, but it makes a really nice smoothie base

I mix with  Spinach, Ginger, Cinnamon and a banana, :) I think the ripe bananas are ok on fodmap diet?

cyclinglady Grand Master

Stew. That is my go-to meal when I have been glutened (meaning hard to eat anything....).   Nice and easy to digest. 

I hope you see improvement soon!  ?

icelandgirl Proficient

Hi Ravenu5!

I feel your frustration!  I have Hashis.  After being diagnosed with celiac and continuing issues I ended up gluten, soy and dairy free.  That led to my having kidney stones earlier this year and switching to a gluten free, soy free, low oxalate, adequate calcium diet...this led to high cholesterol.  I'm super frustrated and annoyed.  I broke down and made an appointment with a nutritionist.  I'll see her in about a month.  Hoping it helps.

I hope you get stuff figured out soon.  (((Hugs)))

squirmingitch Veteran

One thing I would suggest is bone broth. It looks like it's allowed on a GP diet. Very nourishing and helps heal the gut! There are a ton of recipes on the internet but basically you boil bones with some vinegar (just a little) for 24 hours or use a crock pot. 

Sweet potatoes are allowed on both Fodmap & GP diets. VERY good food there! It looks like all of the following are allowed on both diets:

well-cooked vegetables without skins (acorn squash, beets, carrots, mushrooms, potatoes, spinach, summer squash, strained tomato sauce, yams)

Cranberry juice is allowed on both diets as well as grape juice. It also looks like you can have poultry & peanut butter.

These are the 2 lists I used:

http://gicare.com/diets/gastroparesis-diet/

http://www.cassandraforsythe.com/blog/complete+fodmap+list+for+a+happy+gut

squirmingitch Veteran

Here's a link for celiac savvy dietitians. I hope you can find one from this list near you.

http://www.glutenfreedietitian.com/dietitians-specializing-in-celiac-disease/

ravenu5 Rookie

Thanks for all the suggestions! I am using almond or cashew milk for now since low fodmap doesn't allow dairy.  Its just the fruit and veggies part that can be tricky.  I used to have protein shakes quite a bit but my usual protein powder I'd use doesn't have fodmap approved ingredients.  I probably need to take some time this weekend and really shop specifically for food that fits everything.  

I think bone broth is a great idea too! I don't eat beef or pork, but hopefully chicken or turkey would work ;)  I never thought about how much onion and garlic are in things! I admit I'm used to just buying broth and stuff but most all seem to have fodmaps in them.  I need to buck it up and make some! That actually sounds really good right now! 

Thanks for the links! And sweet potatoes!!! I'm going to the store tonight!! :D

Just feeling a bit overwhelmed.  I just need to breathe, take a calm step back, look over all the options and plan it out better so I don't feel so overwhelmed. Thanks for the support guys! 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

squirmingitch Veteran

Absolutely chicken or turkey will work for bone broth. Also fish -- the big boned ones like mackrel - throw in the head too. Personally I hate fish but if you don't then you're set!

I think you're on the right track now. Just take a deep breath, calm down, take a step back & you'll feel a whole lot different.

• 3 weeks later...
davenbacker Rookie

SIBO, microscopic colitis, probably celiac here (celiac's a self diagnosis, was gluten-free before getting tested). Now my doctor is suspecting hashimoto's due to low heart rate, so getting tested for that probably tomorrow.

Anyway, I feel your pain... Low FODMAPs on top of gluten-free is tough. One thing that has helped me a lot is betaine HCl with meals. I can actually eat some onions, garlic, and fruit again with much less trouble. Make sure you get a safely gluten-free brand. Country Life is certified gfco, so is tested to less than 5ppm and is what I take. Good luck!

davenbacker Rookie

One other thing - you might be able to tolerate some dairy if it's only the FODMAPs problem. I discovered that many cheese such as cheddar have effectively no lactose. And my wife sometimes makes 24 hour yoghurt, which also has effectively no lactose. Those have been fine for my tummy.

• 4 years later...
M.F. Newbie

For the protein shakes, just substitute Almond milk. I have celiac, gastroparesis, hashimotis and little to no tolerance of lactose. Almond milk has become a staple in my home.. keep it in fridge, & some backup boxes of it in cabinet. It’s great in smoothies.. I buy the vanilla.. use this the most, and the original for recipes