This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Need Help with Test Interpretation

kmartin

kmartin Newbie

I had a 2 test Celiac Panel test run - having symptoms like gas, bloating, migraines, etc. so my doctor started here.  I was told I tested negative for Celiac disease but the test results say "Negative-Positive".  I asked my doctor if the positive meant that I could be sensitive to gluten - noting that I haven't been able to eat much of anything and felt that number could have been much higher had I been eating.  I was told gluten sensitivity wasn't' a real medical diagnosis.  So I am seeking help in this forum - posting my results below to see if there is anything concerning.

Thank you

Tissue Transglutaminase Ab IgA <0.5  U/mL    Final   
  Interpretation: none
  Comments: none
  Certified Date: 11 Aug 2016
Gliadin Ab IgA 6.8  U/mL    Final   
  Interpretation: INTERPRETATION(S): Reference for Celiac Analytes: NEGATIVE POSITIVE ----------------------------------------------- <15 > or = 15 Assays performed on BioRad BioPlex 2200 using multiple flow immunoassays.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

squirmingitch Veteran

What country are you in?

I can't make heads or tails of this test the way it was written. I don't understand it at all.

cyclinglady Grand Master

I am not a doctor, but it looks negative.  Your value for the DGP IGA was less than 15.  I do not know why it says negative/positive.  I would discuss this with your doctor.  Did they give you an IGA defciency test?  This is used as a control test to see if any of the celiac IGA tests are valid.

Here is the complete list for celiac testing:

Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA and (tTG) IgG
-Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP) IgA and (DGP) IgG
-EMA IgA 
-total serum IgA and IgG (control test)
-AGA IGA and AGA IgG - older and less reliable tests largely replace by the DGP tests

-endoscopic biopsy - make sure at least 6 samples are taken

VERY IMPORTANT:  Keep eating gluten daily until ALL testing is complete or the tests can be inaccurate.  

(Source: NVSMOM -- ?)

And from a reliable source:

Open Original Shared Link
mcbphd1 Explorer

The "negative positive" is referring to the following statement of <15>.  It is giving you the range, that negative is less than 15 and positive is greater than 15.  

cyclinglady Grand Master
2 minutes ago, mcbphd1 said:

The "negative positive" is referring to the following statement of <15>.  It is giving you the range, that negative is less than 15 and positive is greater than 15.  

Ah, this is why this forum is great.  Extra sets of eyes is always helpful.  

I should finish my first cup of coffee before responding and really READ and interpret the posting!  ?  Thank you!  

Jmg Mentor
1 hour ago, kmartin said:

I asked my doctor if the positive meant that I could be sensitive to gluten - noting that I haven't been able to eat much of anything and felt that number could have been much higher had I been eating.  I was told gluten sensitivity wasn't' a real medical diagnosis.   

If you've not been eating gluten consistently in the weeks prior to the test you could get a false negative. You need to be eating gluten every day for 6-8 weeks prior to the blood test.

Gluten sensitivity isn't universally recognised, but it is real. It's diagnosed when a patient tests negative for celiac antibodies but reacts to the gluten free diet.  It's basically a label for saying, this person has a problem with gluten but we can't identify it via our tests. 

If your doctor has excluded celiac and all testing is finished you may want to go ahead and trial excluding gluten in any case to see if the diet helps whatever symptoms you're experiencing.

Best of luck :)

kmartin Newbie

Thank you everyone!  Your feedback has been so helpful! 

I know that not being able to eat has probably impacted these results (have lost 10 lbs so far this month) so once I start with a GI (this testing was done by my primary) I believe we should probably revisit.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived