This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Cream Soup Substitues

Claire

Claire Collaborator

check out this website for recipes for cream soup. These are not dairy free but some other milk could be subsituted - rice, soy, or nut milk. Claire

CREAMED SOUP SUBSTITUTES

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
check out this website for recipes for cream soup. These are not dairy free but some other milk could be subsituted - rice, soy, or nut milk. Claire

CREAMED SOUP SUBSTITUTES

Open Original Shared Link

WOW what a great site Claire

THANKS so much for the post:)

Judy in Philly

jerseyangel Proficient

Thanks, Claire--that will come in handy many times. Hopefully, it'll work with my rice milk :)

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

Thank you Claire, I am only just starting my receipe collection and am glad to add this one to it!!

Tink

Idahogirl Apprentice

Have you tried any other recipes from that site? I am going to try the Favorite White Bread and the Pizza Crust for starters. I'm so excited to try them out! The creamed soup will be a lot cheaper this way. I have been using Progresso Creamy Mushroom with Corn Starch as a thickener, but the Progresso is much more expensive than the $.56 Wal-Mart brand I saw on sale! Figures. :blink:

jenvan Collaborator

that is nice... I've used betty hageman's cream of ___ soup recipe so far...

2Boys4Me Enthusiast
that is nice... I've used betty hageman's cream of ___ soup recipe so far...

How do they taste? I think that Cream of Chicken soup is bland at the best of times, but I'm looking for soup for my son.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Claire Collaborator
How do they taste? I think that Cream of Chicken soup is bland at the best of times, but I'm looking for soup for my son.

I season everything - probably a little heavy for most people. What you have in these recipes is basic. Be as creative as you want. If you are going to use the soup to eat 'straight' as opposed to using in a casserole - a touch of roasted red pepper gives a lovely flavor. Claire

jenvan Collaborator

Linda, I am like Claire, a big "seasoner" too--mostly b/c my dh likes LOTS of "taste." betty's cream of ___ recipes are good. I've never made one and eaten it as plain soup, I always use it in recipes, like casseroles etc. I can post it if you like.

2Boys4Me Enthusiast
Linda, I am like Claire, a big "seasoner" too--mostly b/c my dh likes LOTS of "taste." betty's cream of ___ recipes are good. I've never made one and eaten it as plain soup, I always use it in recipes, like casseroles etc. I can post it if you like.

Thanks, Jen, I'd appreciate it. I'll be sure to spice it up a bit if I'm eating it plain. Ty has such boring lunches, I'd like to be able to send him some soup to school. The gluten-free Chicken noodle was a hit with everyone in the house who doesn't have to be gluten-free. I'd love to add some variety to his diet, but maybe his lunches will be like mine...same thing every school day for 12 years. :lol:

jenvan Collaborator

have you tried Amy's soups? they have several that are gluten-free and say so on the can. also, i love shelton's chicken tortilla. also says gluten-free on back of can. i get these at my local natural food store, or amy's is at my regular grocery too. i'll find the recipe and post!

have you tried Amy's soups? they have several that are gluten-free and say so on the can. also, i love shelton's chicken tortilla. also says gluten-free on back of can. i get these at my local natural food store, or amy's is at my regular grocery too. i'll find the recipe and post!

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Jen

I'd love for you to post the soup recipes.

Judy in Philly

hez Enthusiast

I just tried this recipe today and I love it! The consistancy and taste are great. Much better than the Bette Hagman recipe I use.

Hez

Idahogirl Apprentice

I haven't tried the cream soups yet (still have some Progresso to thicken and use up!). But I tried the Favorite White Bread recipe and the Pizza Crust recipe from the site posted. The white bread turned out okay, a little dry and cracky compared to Pamela's Amazing Wheat-Free mix. The pizza crust turned out great-didn't even seem like I was eating gluten free pizza (this is the first pizza crust I have ever home-made, so I don't have much to compare to, but my husband and kids loved it, so that's a pretty good guage!)

Lisa

2Boys4Me Enthusiast
The pizza crust turned out great-didn't even seem like I was eating gluten free pizza (this is the first pizza crust I have ever home-made, so I don't have much to compare to, but my husband and kids loved it, so that's a pretty good guage!)

Lisa

Lisa, what's the pizza crust recipe? Do you have a link?

Thanks in advance.

Idahogirl Apprentice

Follow the link at the top of this string, and they have tons of other recipes. It's under the bread section. Made the pizza for the second time last night, and it turned out excellent! Better than last time, since it was too thick the first time. You can also make breadsticks.

Lisa

jenvan Collaborator

here is finally the cream soup recipe i said i'd post!

1 cup non-instant dry milk or nondairy substitute

1 cup white rice flour (i sub some of it for sweet rice)

2 tsp dried minced onion

1/2 tsp pepper

1/2 tsp salt

3 tbsp gluten-free powdered chicken or veg soup base

*i add other spices like thyme, white pepper, cayenne

mix this up well and store in pantry. this makes about 8 or 9 'cans' of soup. to make cream of chicken, blend 3 to 4 tbsp of soup mix with 1/4 cup cold water. add 1 cup hot or cold water and cook, stirring until thickened.

Archived