This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Fatigue, hair loss and latest labwork

Stacy0w

icelandgirl Proficient

I agree with cycling!  Your Dr's are misinformed.  On a strict, gluten free diet your antibodies should come down.  They should be tested at least once a year.  I switched Dr's when I went back after 6 months and asked to be retested because he told me the same thing and I knew he was wrong.  When I had them tested at that time, by a new Dr, they were still elevated, but had come down by about half.  A year later they were normal and this summer they were as well.

Insist on this test!  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

peps Newbie

Hi all. This question goes out to the men that have celiac. I recently got diagnosed with the disease about a week ago, and i am starting to feel well now that i am not eating gluten. I had all of the classic symptoms, Stomach pain, hair loss, nose bleeds, fatigue, ect. The one symptom that I have that I haven't seen any man post is penile burning. My question is, has anyone had this problem when they were glutenated? My second question is this, My stomach is starting to feel better, but the penile burning is driving me up the wall and doesn't seem to be getting any better. My doctor says it will, but I haven't seen any changes. If anything it feels as if its getting worse. If you can get back to me as soon as possible that'd be awesome, because i'm seriously in a ton of pain. It burns all day everyday.

kenlove Rising Star
18 minutes ago, peps said:

Hi all. This question goes out to the men that have celiac. I recently got diagnosed with the disease about a week ago, and i am starting to feel well now that i am not eating gluten. I had all of the classic symptoms, Stomach pain, hair loss, nose bleeds, fatigue, ect. The one symptom that I have that I haven't seen any man post is penile burning. My question is, has anyone had this problem when they were glutenated? My second question is this, My stomach is starting to feel better, but the penile burning is driving me up the wall and doesn't seem to be getting any better. My doctor says it will, but I haven't seen any changes. If anything it feels as if its getting worse. If you can get back to me as soon as possible that'd be awesome, because i'm seriously in a ton of pain. It burns all day everyday.

Never did have burning when I was first diagnosed by endoscopic exam about 12 years ago but my testosterone level  was literally wiped out. Other basic hormones where dangerously ow and had to go on replacement therapy. You might want to have your levels check as a precaution. Not sure if the burning  could be related but it might be possible. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
Stacy0w Enthusiast

Long pause because I wanted my latest lab results and they took forever.  Cortisol, ACTH, estadiol, vitamin a and whatever else were all fine. They are retesting my thyroid in four weeks. I definitely bought the wrong product and glutened myself a few weeks back so I guess that has to wait which really irritates me. My gliadin iga ab was greater than 100 almost two yrs ago at diagnosis so I guess sometime next yr I'll redo that and hope it's down :-/. Trying to do all the right things and get bad information from doctors.  Thanks for all the info you've shared and helped me with. I've had lab work every month since May and will next month for the thyroid again. Sigh. 

cyclinglady Grand Master
38 minutes ago, Stacy0w said:

Long pause because I wanted my latest lab results and they took forever.  Cortisol, ACTH, estadiol, vitamin a and whatever else were all fine. They are retesting my thyroid in four weeks. I definitely bought the wrong product and glutened myself a few weeks back so I guess that has to wait which really irritates me. My gliadin iga ab was greater than 100 almost two yrs ago at diagnosis so I guess sometime next yr I'll redo that and hope it's down :-/. Trying to do all the right things and get bad information from doctors.  Thanks for all the info you've shared and helped me with. I've had lab work every month since May and will next month for the thyroid again. Sigh. 

Did they run a DGP IGA?  While your DGP can take over a year to come down, I still think you should be getting tested every six months until you see a downward trend.  I am not making that up.  Google it.  

My DGP was off the charts when I was glutened last summer.  My symtoms were severe, yet at diagnosis, I just had anemia.  It took six months for all symptoms to completely resolve (rashes and hives took the longest and three month to regain dairy).  What I am saying is that symptoms for celiac disease can change.  

Stacy0w Enthusiast

They didn't. The labs were run two and a half weeks ago and before I got confirmation on here that it should be done despite my drs saying otherwise. I was glutened the week prior anyway so it would've been high regardless.  It's all very frustrating. So I guess I'll wait five or six months and go back and demand it vs asking about it. 

• 1 month later...
Stacy0w Enthusiast

O. Latest thyroid labs are back and "normal". I didn't ask numbers because I was frustrated. I had them run the gliadin iga ab while I was there too. That was the only test that was positive when I was diagnosed two years ago. My level then was >100. This time the level was 40. I know I was glutened the end of September so I feel 40 means I'm doing pretty well avoiding gluten minus that one time. So no real answers I don't think. :-/

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

icelandgirl Proficient

I am sorry for your frustration!  It certainly could be that you're getting over being glutened.  But, I wouldn't take normal values as an answer on thyroid.  I'd call and get those values.  If they're not in the optimal range (TSH around 1 and Free T3 and Free T4 between 50-75% of the range), ask for a trial of thyroid medication.  Just my opinion, of course. ?

Stacy0w Enthusiast

The endos office called but I didn't answer. I wanted to see what people here thought first haha. To me I think thyroid, but I'm starting to think I'm just crazy.  My numbers are always on the low end though. I had symptoms months before the glutening. When I call back tomorrow I'll ask about thyroid meds. IF she agrees is there anything I should ask for or avoid?  If she says no I was thinking of trying a t3 supplement. Shrug. Not sure what else to try. 

cyclinglady Grand Master
18 hours ago, Stacy0w said:

O. Latest thyroid labs are back and "normal". I didn't ask numbers because I was frustrated. I had them run the gliadin iga ab while I was there too. That was the only test that was positive when I was diagnosed two years ago. My level then was >100. This time the level was 40. I know I was glutened the end of September so I feel 40 means I'm doing pretty well avoiding gluten minus that one time. So no real answers I don't think. :-/

With your slightly elevated calcium, has parathyroid issues been ruled out?  Look at this site's yellow box of symptoms.  Read about even slightly raised calcium can be overlooked by doctors, but the impact to the patient can be awful.  

Open Original Shared Link

cyclinglady Grand Master
18 hours ago, Stacy0w said:

The elevation in your DGP still indicates that your celiac disease is active.  Going down?  Going up?  Maybe.  You do not know what the levels were just prior to your getting glutened.  Even though your symptoms might improve (or not), about 1/3 of celiacs do not experience intestinal healing.   Consider the "Dr. Fasano" diet (eat whole foods that are naturally gluten-free for the most part).    It might be worth a shot.  Also really evaluate your diet.  gluten may be sneaking in despite your best efforts.  

Archived