This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Have any of you got anxiety problems as well?

Zachm

Zachm Contributor

Hey guys, the last year and a month of transitioning to totally gluten free was hard, but I now seem to be healthy. The first six months I got horrible cramps that would suddenly come and hit hard, but I really havent seen any of those since about February-March. One thing that I wouldnt say has gotten better is my psyche. I was always sort of an anxious person (hard not to be when you dont feel well yet you have "IBS" and you're just "nervous", which all of you probably know), but I am borderline hermit now. I finally went to the doctor today and was prescribed prozac, so hopefully that helps, but I was just wondering about you guys? Thanks :) 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ironictruth Proficient

I never had any major anxiety issues, other then some over-thinking nail biting stuff. But since my health went down hill I have been horribly anxious. 

Can you pinpoint any thought process that makes you this way? For me, it is a combo of symptoms (pain, dizziness, nausea, skipped heart beats, pain behind the eyes) and thinking the worst, cancer, that gets me worked up. Plus, my doctor is useless so then I get really upset. 

I also noticed that when my magnesium is low I get really anxious. I had liquid magnesium in the hospital once and it was like an instant xanax. Serum magnesium is not a great indicator of deficiency in early stages though as your body will take it from your tissues to keep the blood level elevated.  It may be worth monitoring or talking with a doctor about it. I think your body gets depleted of vitamins and minerals due to the celiac but the gluten-free diet can also be low in some nutrients. 

On top of all that, many of the neurotransmitters involved in depression and anxiety are located in your gut. So it makes sense that many folks with GI issues suffer from anxiety. 

Zachm Contributor
3 hours ago, ataglance said:

I never had any major anxiety issues, other then some over-thinking nail biting stuff. But since my health went down hill I have been horribly anxious. 

Can you pinpoint any thought process that makes you this way? For me, it is a combo of symptoms (pain, dizziness, nausea, skipped heart beats, pain behind the eyes) and thinking the worst, cancer, that gets me worked up. Plus, my doctor is useless so then I get really upset. 

I also noticed that when my magnesium is low I get really anxious. I had liquid magnesium in the hospital once and it was like an instant xanax. Serum magnesium is not a great indicator of deficiency in early stages though as your body will take it from your tissues to keep the blood level elevated.  It may be worth monitoring or talking with a doctor about it. I think your body gets depleted of vitamins and minerals due to the celiac but the gluten-free diet can also be low in some nutrients. 

On top of all that, many of the neurotransmitters involved in depression and anxiety are located in your gut. So it makes sense that many folks with GI issues suffer from anxiety. 

I totally feel you on the doctor that's pretty much useless because mine can be hit or miss. The process which makes me anxious is just the thought of going anywhere and worrying about the violent diarrhea spells hitting. It's a typical panic attack, trying to catch my breath, having to go to the bathroom, etc. I had a doctor prescribe me back in 2010 prozac when I was in high school, which at the time I didnt know about the use of serotonin in the gut and honestly was worried he though I had depression so I stopped taking it. Good luck to you getting better :)

ironictruth Proficient

Good luck to you too! Maybe cymbalta, it is for anxiety, depression and neuropathic pain. But, comes with its own risks. 

miguel54b Apprentice

Could MSG be the problem? After eating a gluten free meal at the restaurant; I felt very anxious, a muscle in my arm felt like it was hit with a stick (sore muscle), the joints in my fingers felt swollen/arthritics, and the joint in my right shoulder became painful. The fish was seasoned with a lot of spices, it tasted very good. I remember that being the taste of Monosodium Glutamate (MSG), I stopped eating it since I went gluten free because I notice that it had bad effect on me. You can research it and do a self-test to see if that is the cause. The Truth in labeling website has a lot of info on MSG problems.

mathieml Apprentice
On 8/31/2016 at 6:30 PM, Zachm said:

Hey guys, the last year and a month of transitioning to totally gluten free was hard, but I now seem to be healthy. The first six months I got horrible cramps that would suddenly come and hit hard, but I really havent seen any of those since about February-March. One thing that I wouldnt say has gotten better is my psyche. I was always sort of an anxious person (hard not to be when you dont feel well yet you have "IBS" and you're just "nervous", which all of you probably know), but I am borderline hermit now. I finally went to the doctor today and was prescribed prozac, so hopefully that helps, but I was just wondering about you guys? Thanks :) 

My daughter (age 13) has severe anxiety. In fact, that's what her doctors originally thought was causing all of her symptoms, so she was misdiagnosed for months. She has been on Citalopram since June, but we will be weening her off of it soon because I think it contributes to her nausea. I have also read that anxiety is a symptom of Celiac disease, so I'm hoping the anxiety will get better as she heals. 

Celiacinthesea Newbie
On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 1:30 PM, Zachm said:

I was diagnosed March of this year and I continue to have moments of anxiety. Prior to my dx it was really bad and I too became a hermit. I locked myself in my apartment. My doctor prescribed a sleeping pill and I started counseling which helped so much. My insurance covers the counseling. I continue to struggle with food anxiety. Like when I leave my apartment, I get really anxious about having food to eat while I'm at work. I turn down staying over many times because I run out of food that I brought from home. If I plan to go ANYWHERE, I must have a food plan or I will just stay home. Anxiety is a very real struggle, you are not alone my friend.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 3 weeks later...
Forman337 Apprentice

I have horrible anxiety from my symptoms. I have celiac and IBS. It's so bad that I went diagnosed for 4 years. All the doctors thought it was in my head and never bothered to test me for celiac. When I finally figured it out and the symptoms improved the anxiety was easier to deal with, but I still struggle with it. I've been gluten-free for about a year and I still have anxiety attacks, mostly because I developed a fear of eating because I was sick for 4 years. Most people are able to overcome anxiety over time so hang in there, work at it, and you'll get through it! 

I did become a hermit for a long time, especially because when I was having the symptoms from celiac and panic attacks I had no idea what it was. Easier said than done, but stay strong, tell yourself you're strong, and with practice it can get easier. I take xanax for my anxiety, but only because it's so severe nothing else works for me and I typically have bad reactions to most medications.

notme Experienced

i also take xanax for my anxiety.  very small doses and when needed.   the script was easier to get than my celiac dx lolz :D 

cristiana Veteran

I got terrible anxiety prior to my celiac diagnosis, like a bolt from the blue.  Didn't even know what it was, it felt so alien. My doctor diagnosed citalopram. I then found my B12 and iron was low so supplemented these, and I am quite sure that especially the B12 made a difference sometimes within the hour of taking it.  It is worth checking you are not low on these.

But what I would also say is that it is quite a good idea to understand how anxiety works.  This book really helped:

Open Original Shared Link

I really cannot recommend it enough. There is a website founded by the author, again, very helpful:

The other thing that helped me so much is this book by Dr Steve Llardi. Understood, anxiety and depression are different but the tips in this book really helped me with anxiety, such as avoiding 'rumination' and getting enough sunlight.

I hope this is of help.  

Archived