10 replies to this topic

#1 Noelle126

Noelle126

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 09:01 PM

Is Vodka Gluten Free??? I've heard it is grain derived and I just wanted to know if there are certain brands that are gluten free.
Thanks!
~ Angela

"If you love the life you live, you will live the life of love"

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,768 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 04:31 AM

Is Vodka Gluten Free??? I've heard it is grain derived and I just wanted to know if there are certain brands that are gluten free.
Thanks!

I am one of the ones who reacts strongly to any grain alcohol, (I black out after 1 drink and get very sick from grain alcohol). I drink Luksusowa Polish Potato Vodka and have NO problems. I can have 2 or 3 in an evening with no ill effects at all, not even a mild hangover. There are other potato vodkas around but this brand is the least costly.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 04:58 AM

I drink vodkas and have no problems.
See this link about alcohols:
http://www.celiac.co...-35105599843.ba

#4 mookie03

mookie03

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 08:27 PM

Thanks!

It is gluten free. I drink ketel one- it is distilled in wheat but the distillation process leaves no gluten in the end product. Other vodkas are made from corn (i think smirnoff is one) or potatoes (like Chopin) and those are definitely safe too. But i have never had a problem w/ the wheat-distilled vodkas and i drink them frequently ( i mean when i drink).

I have, however, felt sick after drinking some of the well vodka drinks in bars...i am not sure if the distillation process is not as good in cheap vodka or if it is b/c instead of drinking vodka on the rocks, i mix cheaper vodkas w/ club soda. i have heard that fountain sodas in bars can be contaminated?

#5 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,768 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 06:15 AM

I have, however, felt sick after drinking some of the well vodka drinks in bars...i am not sure if the distillation process is not as good in cheap vodka or if it is b/c instead of drinking vodka on the rocks, i mix cheaper vodkas w/ club soda. i have heard that fountain sodas in bars can be contaminated?

The fountain sodas are very suspect, also some states require bars to use a soak with a sani-tab in the final rinse, it is not washed off afterwards. I never read the label so I have no idea what is in it. I always make them rinse my glass with plain hot water before they mix my drink and if they don't have soda in a can I drink wine.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

#6 Noelle126

Noelle126

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 07:37 AM

I never thought about the soda being contaiminated but if its from the same spout...I guess it has a very likely ability to be!!
~ Angela

"If you love the life you live, you will live the life of love"

#7 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 07:47 AM

The soda spout never occured to me, either. I thought I was being careful when I'd just have a soda when out to "eat" with others. Jeesh :angry:
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#8 kabowman

kabowman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 08:31 AM

I also react to all grain alchol. I can find Chopin (potato vodka) in my town so that is what I drink with little to no problems. I even use it to make my own vanilla and Kaluha.

I cannot have anything from a bar tap...just enough stuff in there for contamination and I get sick every time.
-Kate
gluten-free since July 2004

Other Intolerances:
Strawberries and Banannas (2007)
Nitrates (April 2006)
Yeast (which includes all vinegar so no condiments) (Oct. 2004)
Peanuts (Nov. 2004)
Soy (Oct. 2004)
Almonds (Sept. 2004)
Corn (Sept. 2004)
Lactose/Casein (1999)

#9 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,768 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 03:58 PM

I also react to all grain alchol. I can find Chopin (potato vodka) in my town so that is what I drink with little to no problems. I even use it to make my own vanilla and Kaluha.

I cannot have anything from a bar tap...just enough stuff in there for contamination and I get sick every time.

Hi, could you please tell me how to make the Kaluha? I would love to try this, I seem to react to the real thing. I would love a White Russian.

#10 Mahee34

Mahee34

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 09:23 PM

I used to work in a bar and most places soak their bar guns in soap and water or bleach. The questionable things that come out of the bar gun are the juices, cranberry and orange, that is usually where i ran into the problem..However, if the bar or restaurant are "clean" then usually their soda gun is as well,

#11 rache

rache

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 08:36 PM

Skyy vodka- definately GLUTEN FREE
http://www.skyy.com/flairbar/
IBS - 11/2000
Celiac - 4/2005

0 user(s) are reading this topic