This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bleeding - Could it be related? Help!

VeggieGirl

VeggieGirl Apprentice

Hey, 

After a year of being gluten free, it was recommended I take up the gluten challenge for celiac testing as my symptoms have gotten much worse (even traces are effecting me real bad)...

I've been on the gluten challenge for 5 days now, and i'm noticing some vaginal bleeding (as well as other strange symptoms such as shortness of breath..). My period isn't due for another week, and i'm on the birth control (mostly to control pain), which I have none so far... So I'm pretty sure it's not my period... Could this be gluten related? Never happened to me before and i'm starting to get really worried. Has this happened to anyone else? 

Thanks in advance x 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jmg Mentor

Hi again :) For obvious reasons (I'm a bloke) I can't really help with the question and I'm sure you'll get some great advice from others on here, but please see your GP or pop into your local hospital and talk to someone there as well. 

The gluten challenge is unpleasant for many, but for a few it's really severe. One poster here had a particularly rough experience, think it may be Gemini, but I could be mistaken. Given your breathing issues I think regardless of any other issues you need to seek medical attention and perhaps ask your GP / GI whether testing can be brought forward or a diagnosis made without undergoing the full challenge. It's good to get a diagnosis and there's value in doing so, but only in service of your ongoing health!

All the best to you, hope your feeling better soon.

Matt

VeggieGirl Apprentice

Hi again and thanks for the reply :) 

I spoke to my doctor earlier today about the shortness of breath etc and he said I've got to put up with it if I really want to go through with the test... He said I shouldn't worry too much about the symptoms I'm getting cause 'severe symptoms are normal' when on the gluten challenge.. 

I'll try to speak to my doctor again tomorrow since the bleeding is a new development along with a major migrane which wont go away with paracetamol.. I m also feeling generally sick, getting puffy eyes (like I do when I have sinuses), brain fog and super tired and sleepy! 

Will see what the doc says.. Thanks again for the reply :) 

Fundog Enthusiast

Okay, well just be mindful of symptoms of anaphylaxis, because that can be very dangerous, even life threatening: hives, swelling anywhere on the face, but especially the mouth/lips, and difficulty breathing.  Try taking some diphenhydramine hydrochloride (in the U S, commonly known as Benadryl).  If your respiratory symptoms get worse--if your throat feels tight, if your lips turn a bluish color, if you feel dizzy or lightheaded-- call an ambulance, immediately.   I personally am allergic to wheat, in addition to being gluten intolerant.  

VeggieGirl Apprentice
13 hours ago, Fundog said:

Okay, well just be mindful of symptoms of anaphylaxis, because that can be very dangerous, even life threatening: hives, swelling anywhere on the face, but especially the mouth/lips, and difficulty breathing.  Try taking some diphenhydramine hydrochloride (in the U S, commonly known as Benadryl).  If your respiratory symptoms get worse--if your throat feels tight, if your lips turn a bluish color, if you feel dizzy or lightheaded-- call an ambulance, immediately.   I personally am allergic to wheat, in addition to being gluten intolerant.  

Hey and thanks for the reply 

I'm noticing different symptoms every day and to be honest I don't know if i'm gonna be able to put up with this for much longer. I did have some swelling in my lips, but it didn't look too bad - no change in colour and only a bit swollen, and I didn't have any pain.. After a few hours it was back to normal so i'm not making much of it.. today i woke up with some serious joint pains especially in my upper body.. my arms hurt so bad :( 

Thanks for the advice, will definitely be careful especially of the swelling! 

cyclinglady Grand Master
On 9/7/2016 at 10:27 AM, VeggieGirl said:

Hey, 

After a year of being gluten free, it was recommended I take up the gluten challenge for celiac testing as my symptoms have gotten much worse (even traces are effecting me real bad)...

I've been on the gluten challenge for 5 days now, and i'm noticing some vaginal bleeding (as well as other strange symptoms such as shortness of breath..). My period isn't due for another week, and i'm on the birth control (mostly to control pain), which I have none so far... So I'm pretty sure it's not my period... Could this be gluten related? Never happened to me before and i'm starting to get really worried. Has this happened to anyone else? 

Thanks in advance x 

Think about it.  If you are doing a gluten challenge (and if you have celiac disease), damage to the villi could be occurring leading to the start of malnutrition because you are not able to absorb food and medications (e.g. birth control pills).  If you are not absorbing your birth control pill, you're going to get break through bleeding.  It's like you "skipped" a few days.  

The shortness of breath?  That should be addressed by your doctor who is monitoring your gluten challenge.  I would think that anemia would take much longer than five days to develop but I'm not a doctor.  Anxiety can hit hard and fast with gluten and that can impact your breathing.  

Talk to your doctor.  Let me know all your symptoms.  It will set your mind at ease.  Good luck! 

VeggieGirl Apprentice
10 minutes ago, cyclinglady said:

Think about it.  If you are doing a gluten challenge (and if you have celiac disease), damage to the villi could be occurring leading to the start of malnutrition because you are not able to absorb food and medications (e.g. birth control pills).  If you are not absorbing your birth control pill, you're going to get break through bleeding.  It's like you "skipped" a few days.  

The shortness of breath?  That should be addressed by your doctor who is monitoring your gluten challenge.  I would think that anemia would take much longer than five days to develop but I'm not a doctor.  Anxiety can hit hard and fast with gluten and that can impact your breathing.  

Talk to your doctor.  Let me know all your symptoms.  It will set your mind at ease.  Good luck! 

Hey :) thanks for the reply!

That totally makes sense, I don't know how I didn't think of that... (regarding the pill)

I did talk to my doctor regarding the shortness of breath and he just said that it's 'normal' that I have these kind of symptoms while eating gluten... 

My symptoms now include a bloated stomach and belly which bloats even more about 30m after I eat + constant discomfort and minor pain which increases after I eat gluten, shortness of breath especially when i'm bloated the most, migraines (which wont go away with paracetamol), irregular bathroom intervals, constantly feeling like i need to throw up - but I haven't so far, super dizzy, yesterday I even had my lips swollen just a little but they were back to normal in a few hours, my eyes feel like they're swollen and puffy - I can't keep them as open as usual, it's like when I'm super tired and I just need to shut my eyes, a light rash all over my skin - it's more the itching that's bothering me - it doesn't show that much, really tired all the time but not tired enough to sleep more than usual, which makes it worse, and today's new delightful development is this really annoying pain in my joints, especially upper body.. i can't move without hurting, but i also feel sore so i feel the need to move and stretch, but it hurts so much when i do!! 

I just need this to be over :( but i'd really like to know if i'm celiac or not, that's why i m trying to go through with this.. i ll see how it goes day by day, and hopefully the symptoms don't get much worse!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Hang in there! I admire and respect that you are going through  this challenge.  Getting a formal diagnosis is difficult.  I know that my hubby's been gluten free for 15 years.  He refuses to do a challenge because....well, we like paying our bills!  LOL!  He would be the first to say that I have had way more support with my diagnosis.  But in the end, we know gluten makes him sick and that's all that really counts.  Someday, there will be a test to determine NCGS (Non-celiac gluten sensitivities).  

Yeah,, I didn't think about all that bloating.   It's like being pregnant -- your diaphragm is  squished!  It will be over soon.  Hugs!  

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Veggiegirl,

You might want to read up on dermatitis herpetiformis (DH) on the forum.  It's a rash that some celiacs get that is very itchy.  The testing for DH proves celiac as only celiacs get DH.  There is a section of this forum dedicated to DH:  www.celiac.com/forums/forum/26-dermatitis-herpetiformis/

Cyclinglady is right, celiac damage impairs nutrient absorption.  So any supplements you are taking may not absorb well either.  I don't know if you are taking supplements to compensate for vegetarianism or are a veggie?  But they wouldn't be absorbing well either.

It might be a good idea to get allergy testing now.  You don't need to wait for allergy testing.  It can be done as long as you are not on immunosppresant drugs.  Allergies are a different immune response from celiac, but they are more immediately dangerous.

Beverage Rising Star

When I've gotten accidentally glutened, I don't get the so-called common diarrhea, but I immediately gain 2-3 lbs and my abdomen pooches out and feels real firm.  I also get some neurological symptoms (nerve pain rushing down leg when at rest), and depression. So everybody is different.  But good you contacted your doctor and he/she is aware of what's going on. Good luck.

Archived