This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten, potato, corn, and more oh my!

Awol cast iron stomach

Awol cast iron stomach Experienced

My story continues I have now reached intolerance discovery in addition to exploring if I fit celiac or ncgs not ibs as was thought  for 19-20 years in the medical world.

I went gluten free without diagnosis because my husband and I were the only ones to see I had gluten issues as my health issues escalated 3 years ago. My cousin is a diagnosed celiac.

It is possible I found the Dr. that understands the immune system and those patients who are outside the textbook box for celiac. She has discovered my potential intolerance s. I have been working with her since May 2016. My diet currently must go on without almond, eggs, cod, pineapple, corn, white potatoes, celery, and possibly lettuce. We are proceeding on food dairy route to suss out the culprits above definitively and/or other additional potentials on this journey.

I have reached the impasse of gluten challenge I fear and loathe.  I admit you all said it was coming. I have been completely resistant to it.   I knew prior to meeting her I had wheat issues from symptoms self diagnosed repeatedly  . She noted I reacted to  rye and barley. I gave up milk after being gluten ed in March. So next month I must do to myself what I said I would not.  I finally found a physician who believes which  is crucial to me even venturing there.

How I wish I met her prior to going off gluten, but prior attempts to find out my troubles did not pan out and one Dr I had a possible chance left practice before my symptoms got real bad. I only found her by referral from another new allergist I visited. I romanticize next month I will eat all the gluten I miss- bagels, deep dish chicago pizza, hot pretzels, and hot dogs on buns. Maybe even a piece of chocolate cake. The reality is I will probably eat the minimum quota of bread or crackers required in pain and tears . I fear my irritability, joint, muscle, gi stuff is more than I can ask my family to bear. I hope to work but am concerned how that will go too. I guess I won't know until I'm in the thick of it.

Hoping my intolerance s are not permanent but an issue of delayed healing. The cod and pineapple may be permanent because I have rarely eaten those since I initially went gluten-free, but those were regular in my diet when I first went Gluten-Free. The others were staples that I resumed in May as I thought I healed after my glutening March. 

We're you able to complete your challenge? Did you just eat plain bread/ crackers or did you eat gluten indulgent foods during your challenge?  Did any of you find your intolerances lifted after diagnosis and healing? How long of a time span for intolerances to heal/resume?

Lastly I appreciate any sentiment of good luck for the challenge and colonoscopy/ endoscopy. 

Thanks

AWOL

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Fundog Enthusiast

I do not envy you.  I hope you get some answers though.  I've had two colonoscopies and will have a third before I turn 50.  I've got a system that makes the prep much easier:  Even though they said I could skip the soft foods day and just wait for liquids (because of the chronic diarrhea), I did anyway.  My scope was on a Friday, and started on Tuesday.  I ate all the soft comfort foods I loved--baked macaroni and cheese, ramen noodles, eggs over easy, toast with honey, yogurt, ice cream, mashed potatoes and gravy....  no veggies unless they were in a juice or soup.  Wednesday I followed pretty much the same, but with mostly thick liquids.  Thursday of course was clear liquids only.  I treated it like a spa day, resting, relaxing, conserving energy, (staying close to the bathroom), and got myself all kinds of delicious clear beverages.  I KEPT MY STOMACH FULL AT ALL TIMES.  That was key right there.  The moment I felt the slightest empty grumble, I drank something yummy.  I found beef broth to be especially satisfying and comforting.  When it came time to drink the horrible stuff, I was pretty much clean already, so if I vomited (which I did the second dose the morning of the procedure), it didn't matter because I had done a good job prepping by diet alone. :)  The doctor rated my prep quality as "excellent."  My hubby was all kinds of jealous at my vacation approach to the prep, telling me it wasn't supposed to be a pleasant experience, lol!  Of course I had chronic diarrhea, so that made it much easier.  If anyone reading this is constipated, I would recommend starting soft foods five days in advance, instead of four.  Good luck!

squirmingitch Veteran
1 hour ago, Fundog said:

I do not envy you.  I hope you get some answers though.  I've had two colonoscopies and will have a third before I turn 50.  I've got a system that makes the prep much easier:  Even though they said I could skip the soft foods day and just wait for liquids (because of the chronic diarrhea), I did anyway.  My scope was on a Friday, and started on Tuesday.  I ate all the soft comfort foods I loved--baked macaroni and cheese, ramen noodles, eggs over easy, toast with honey, yogurt, ice cream, mashed potatoes and gravy....  no veggies unless they were in a juice or soup.  Wednesday I followed pretty much the same, but with mostly thick liquids.  Thursday of course was clear liquids only.  I treated it like a spa day, resting, relaxing, conserving energy, (staying close to the bathroom), and got myself all kinds of delicious clear beverages.  I KEPT MY STOMACH FULL AT ALL TIMES.  That was key right there.  The moment I felt the slightest empty grumble, I drank something yummy.  I found beef broth to be especially satisfying and comforting.  When it came time to drink the horrible stuff, I was pretty much clean already, so if I vomited (which I did the second dose the morning of the procedure), it didn't matter because I had done a good job prepping by diet alone. :)  The doctor rated my prep quality as "excellent."  My hubby was all kinds of jealous at my vacation approach to the prep, telling me it wasn't supposed to be a pleasant experience, lol!  Of course I had chronic diarrhea, so that made it much easier.  If anyone reading this is constipated, I would recommend starting soft foods five days in advance, instead of four.  Good luck!

I believe AWOL is talking about doing a gluten challenge for small intestine biopsies to dx celiac disease NOT a colonoscopy. Totally different things.

AWOL, I haven't done a challenge so can not help you from personal experience. I do admire what you're about to embark upon and think it's the smart thing to do. I wish you the best in your gluten filled journey and hope you get to actually enjoy some gluten goodies rather than just dreading them. Maybe start right out with the things you miss the most & loved the best, then when you get too sick to enjoy anything you won't have missed out on the good stuff.

Let us know how it goes and we're here for a shoulder to cry on.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that the reaction isn't too strong.  Do keep your doctor in the loop with the challenge if symptoms get too severe.  A couple things that may allow you to still work outside your home that helped me are taking an anti-inflammatory like Aleve, Advil, Asprin etc (ask your doc which might be okay for you) and Immodium. I use the caplets and still will take a half of one if I am going out for the day and know I will have to eat outside of the house.

Good luck and hopefully you will get to the bottom of your issues soon.

Awol cast iron stomach Experienced

Thank you all. To clarify it is both endoscopy and colonoscopy procedure for me next month. Both are being done at the same time.  I am under 50 but it's 2 with 1 stone approach. Just lucky I guess -that is complete sarcasm. 

I am concerned about both so advice on either prep is appreciated. I am most concerned of my gluten challenge and appreciate all the info.    

Ok I will eat the delicious gluten  foods for I should enjoy pleasure with the pain. The kids will love the fact they get to visit  Dunkin Donuts and go out for pizza for Mom' s gluten challenge.  

squirmingitch Veteran

Eat a cruller for me please.

deb-rn Contributor

I don't envy you eating gluten AT ALL!  I didn't do the biopsy as I didn't want to go through the pain.  I'm due for my 10yr colonoscopy next year and thought about it... but I don't have a Dr. that would be able to diagnose anything else anyway, so I'm not going to eat gluten.  I have played around with my diet a bit and know there is more than just a gluten problem.  I react so oddly to so many drugs, that I know I have some weird condition... besides my Sjogren's that gives me fits often!  I've found so many wonderful gluten-free recipes that I'm not missing anything!  Eating out is the only real source of dread!  So hard to travel with others.  They want to eat places I know I can only eat a plain salad with lemon and oil... and hope they didn't take the croutons off before they gave it to me!  Fortunately that isn't a common occurence and we cook better than most restaurants anyway!

Debbie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived