This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

So what else could it be?

MelissaNZ

MelissaNZ Apprentice

So my daughter's biopsy came back negative.  Which is great. However, I'm now wondering does that mean something else is wrong causing her to have elevated markers.  I know that biopsy's aren't always correct due to them not being able to test all the intestine (they took 6 samples), however, I guess I have to go with the results as they are presented, but would appreciate your advice on what else you could thinks going on?

Her symptoms are: very small in height, constipation, frequent urinary leaking, bumps on the back of her arms, occasional achey joints and vomitting, but these two things are very sporadic, like maybe once a month. During the 2 month gluten challenge she has developed scaley areas on her chin and eyelid, and had a crack at the corner of her mouth, that's now gone away after being gluten free for a week.

Her results are as follows:

TTG IgA Ab: 15.4 U/ml (<15.0) HH

Deaminated Gliadin Peptide IgG: 17.2 U/ml(<15.0)HH

IgA: 0.7 g/L (0.4 - 2.2)

Endomysial Antibodies: Positive A

DQ2 gene: demonstrated

DQ8 gene: not demonstrated.

So if its not celiacs, what else could be the issue?  The doctors just seem to wash their hands of it and say "it's not celiac disease, the end".  What could be my next steps?  I have taken her to a Natropath who has identified some nutrient deficiancies.  Could these cause the elevated markers?  Or is there something else I should get her tested for?

I'm at a bit of a loss now!

Thanks for your help.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Positive blood trumps negative biopsy. There is no other cause of elevated Celiac panel results. Can you get a copy of the biopsy reports? Some doctors will not call a biopsy positive until the villi are completely destroyed and discount any changes that come before that. Some will even tell a person to go back on glutenand come back in a year or so to retest to see if the villi are completely destroyed yet.

IMHO you should keep her strictly gluten free and let her heal. Being gluten free is not going to interfere with testing for other problems. Then when she has recovered have the celiac panel run again to see if those numbers have gone back to a negative range.

Good luck and I hope she is feeling better soon.

MelissaNZ Apprentice

Thanks.  Am going to get a copy of her biopsy results on Monday, and go to the GP and discuss any further testing required.

Archived