This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Feeling like a freak

gluten-free girl 67

gluten-free girl 67 Apprentice

I was diagnosed with celiac 6 years ago. I am starting to get worse when exposed to any gluten at all when I eat out. I am now starting to vomit. I admit today I wasnt very careful. We went to a restaurant. I am visiting my daughter who is out of town at college. I ate some chips that looked ok. Then the waiter told me they werent gluten-free. I ended up vomiting 2 hours later. I also had a migraine when i woke up possibly from some other food. I am so tired of this disease. I have resigned myself to the fact it is just too u unsafe for me to eat out. I also feel embarrassed asking waiters about the food. I dont want to be one of those people they dread serving. I guess i am feeling sorry for myself. I think i need to live on gluten-free oatmeal. Nothing else. I am tired of even gluten-free food sometimes makes me feel bloated. I wish I didnt have to eat!! Honestly. Its a vicious cycle. I have been in bed most of the day. Looking to share here with people who understand. I hate my stomach. I hate this disease. I am also getting really depressed about the vomiting. I know I am whining. Ive also been through my second divorce now. Just lots of crap going on. I feel like when I go out to eat I am in denial I have celiac. I dont purposely eat it. But I guess I dont ask enough about the food. I just assume some things are ok when theyre not. I am rambling. I was on this forum years ago u der a different name. Time to come back to get some hugs. ?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AmberJ Rookie

I'm so sorry you're going through that. I'm just about going on a year since my diagnosis.

I don't eat out. Just went on vacation, and when handed a gluten-free menu, I asked if they prepare it on a separate part of the kitchen, and if they didn't know, or if they said no, I didn't eat anything. I'm becoming a pro at watching people eat. It helps to keep a small jar of peanut butter and some gluten free crackers, or bring a Tupperware container of grapes and cheese in my bag...I just eat what I brought rather than buying anything. No one has ever said anything to me about me bringing food when they don't have anything that is safe for me to eat. It also helps to eat substantial food before I go, so it's not agony smelling all the scents. I was amazed that I managed to go 9 days of airports and family get-togethers without being ill! 

When I get glutened, it helps to get a washrag and pour rubbing alcohol on it, and lay it on my pillow. The smell is strong, even stronger than when you're not nauseated, but the chemicals in the brain resist the vomit motions when you smell rubbing alcohol. I don't know how it works, but it really does help. Also, drink fluids...water, chicken broth, etc....to stay hydrated. The less hydrated you are, the less likely this will pass quickly.

You have to take care of yourself! Avoiding gluten is likely remembering to eat or bathe...its self-care! I know it's difficult when in the middle of divorce or other super stressful times...but seriously, take care of you! You are worth it! 

AmberJ Rookie

Sorry for my type-o, I'm on my iPad and I have fat fingers apparently, LOL.

gluten-free girl 67 Apprentice

Thank you Amber. I need to just bring my own food when eating out. I am drinking peppermint tea now to recover. I am just so tired of being the odd one. Thats how I feel anyway. Depressed. 

Fundog Enthusiast

(((HUGS))) to you.  I'm so sorry you're going through this.  Stress (and both divorce and having a kid away at college are stressful!) will exacerbate your symptoms by triggering an inflammatory response, a "flare."

I have not been officially diagnosed with celiac disease, however, I most definitely have a problem with wheat, as evidenced by a nasty skin reaction.

When my nurse practitioner and I figured it out, I finally started to get better.  I finally had hope!  Then one week I forgot to read a label.  My skin reacted violently.  I just couldn't understand why I was getting worse, when I had improved so much.  It turned out, I had been eating small increments of wheat every day for a week!  Oh, I just sat down and cried!  I came very close to giving up, believing having horrible, painful, itchy, red skin and being miserable would be my lot in life forever.  But then I resolved to start over, and be more careful.  Fortunately for me, I have a supportive family who also reads labels before cooking anything they intend to offer me, or cook for me.  Once again I am seeing improvements in my condition, and I have hope again that I CAN live a gluten free lifestyle.  YOU CAN TOO.  DON'T GIVE UP!

Ennis-TX Grand Master
8 hours ago, gluten-free girl 67 said:

I was diagnosed with celiac 6 years ago. I am starting to get worse when exposed to any gluten at all when I eat out. I am now starting to vomit. I admit today I wasnt very careful. We went to a restaurant. I am visiting my daughter who is out of town at college. I ate some chips that looked ok. Then the waiter told me they werent gluten-free. I ended up vomiting 2 hours later. I also had a migraine when i woke up possibly from some other food. I am so tired of this disease. I have resigned myself to the fact it is just too u unsafe for me to eat out. I also feel embarrassed asking waiters about the food. I dont want to be one of those people they dread serving. I guess i am feeling sorry for myself. I think i need to live on gluten-free oatmeal. Nothing else. I am tired of even gluten-free food sometimes makes me feel bloated. I wish I didnt have to eat!! Honestly. Its a vicious cycle. I have been in bed most of the day. Looking to share here with people who understand. I hate my stomach. I hate this disease. I am also getting really depressed about the vomiting. I know I am whining. Ive also been through my second divorce now. Just lots of crap going on. I feel like when I go out to eat I am in denial I have celiac. I dont purposely eat it. But I guess I dont ask enough about the food. I just assume some things are ok when theyre not. I am rambling. I was on this forum years ago u der a different name. Time to come back to get some hugs. ?

Sounds like my everyday, I also have multiple allergies and intolerance on top of my celiacs. Fear of eating out, fear of going to others houses, even the fear of finding gluten in one of my current stable foods. I mean I get contamination from odd sources, get sick and feel like a kicked dog over analyzing and throwing stuff away sometimes or going back and trying each one til I find the offender.

I sometimes go to Chilis, where the waitress and manager know me order the one thing they can not mess up, steamed fresh broccoli no seasonings, oils, etc. A glass of water with lemons, and bring my own meal. I do this so I feel like a normal human being sometimes as sad as it is.

Being hyper sensitive is a real pain in the ass, I even get the bloat from most carbs now days if not eating in moderation.So I Moved to a diet of mostly nuts, almond butter, seeds, egg whites, veggies and small amounts of fruits. I still sometimes treat myself with a half serving of beans, oats, rice, etc. I just cook everything in my kitchen from scratch I find stir frys, omelettes, salads,  and soups to be a constant, everyday I mix it up different veggies, seasonings, maybe finish it off with red wine, balsamic, or rum to add a brightness or a caramelized sweetness to it. I make these crazy comfort puddings out of gelatin, or agar agar base, and almond milks, I use LorAnn Oils ice cream and 4x flavorings to make allergen free treats that taste like so many deserts I used to love like strawberry cheese cake, Cinnamon Roll, cookies and cream, etc. and use these as deserts.     

IT is a pain living with this disease but try cooking creatively and being proud when something comes out great, create your foods that are proven good and batches and can/store it for eating later. Stick to brands your trust, stick to foods you trust. Take your own food with you, it might seem odd but you can smile at hte fact you can go into a movie theater, theme parke, etc and bring your own snacks and not pay for  their overpriced stuff cause they can not provide you with safe foods. You really have to look to the positive sides of it and where it makes you a better person then most others who have lost the art form of cooking.

I made a business out of it, selling gluten-free baked goods, Artisan Almond Butters, and chef services to others. I cook better then most people twice my age, top it off with hardly anyone in my age group cooks from scratch anymore makes me proud of what I can do.

frieze Community Regular
On 9/18/2016 at 5:43 AM, Ennis_TX said:

Sounds like my everyday, I also have multiple allergies and intolerance on top of my celiacs. Fear of eating out, fear of going to others houses, even the fear of finding gluten in one of my current stable foods. I mean I get contamination from odd sources, get sick and feel like a kicked dog over analyzing and throwing stuff away sometimes or going back and trying each one til I find the offender.

I sometimes go to Chilis, where the waitress and manager know me order the one thing they can not mess up, steamed fresh broccoli no seasonings, oils, etc. A glass of water with lemons, and bring my own meal. I do this so I feel like a normal human being sometimes as sad as it is.

Being hyper sensitive is a real pain in the ass, I even get the bloat from most carbs now days if not eating in moderation.So I Moved to a diet of mostly nuts, almond butter, seeds, egg whites, veggies and small amounts of fruits. I still sometimes treat myself with a half serving of beans, oats, rice, etc. I just cook everything in my kitchen from scratch I find stir frys, omelettes, salads,  and soups to be a constant, everyday I mix it up different veggies, seasonings, maybe finish it off with red wine, balsamic, or rum to add a brightness or a caramelized sweetness to it. I make these crazy comfort puddings out of gelatin, or agar agar base, and almond milks, I use LorAnn Oils ice cream and 4x flavorings to make allergen free treats that taste like so many deserts I used to love like strawberry cheese cake, Cinnamon Roll, cookies and cream, etc. and use these as deserts.     

IT is a pain living with this disease but try cooking creatively and being proud when something comes out great, create your foods that are proven good and batches and can/store it for eating later. Stick to brands your trust, stick to foods you trust. Take your own food with you, it might seem odd but you can smile at hte fact you can go into a movie theater, theme parke, etc and bring your own snacks and not pay for  their overpriced stuff cause they can not provide you with safe foods. You really have to look to the positive sides of it and where it makes you a better person then most others who have lost the art form of cooking.

I made a business out of it, selling gluten-free baked goods, Artisan Almond Butters, and chef services to others. I cook better then most people twice my age, top it off with hardly anyone in my age group cooks from scratch anymore makes me proud of what I can do.

Ennis,drop the oats!..and where is your protein?  why egg white and no yolk?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gemini Experienced

I have found that eating out successfully while being strictly gluten free is highly dependent on where you live.  Some areas of the country (US) are much more gluten-free friendly than others but a few simple rules should help you to find a safe place to eat when not at home.  I ma very sensitive also and have the same problem you do when I am glutened.....I'm a puker!  I think it is actually better because it gets rid of the problem foods right away and then the aftermath isn't so bad to deal with.  I have been gluten-free for 11 years so it is much easier to recover for me, at this point.

I only eat at higher end restaurants, which have chefs with actual culinary school training.  They are trained in cc and many now include courses on gluten-free cooking.  There are a couple of places where I love to eat that are not high end but the family members have celiac so the restaurants get it right every time. I also do not eat out that much at all.....it's a treat when I do.  You must become comfortable with talking to the waitstaff because that is crucial.  I find that being very polite makes a huge difference and then I always write an e-mail to management when they get it right. I have gotten some pretty nice responses in return.  With practice, it will become second nature.

I think because you are going through a very hard time right now and are probably upset, eating out might not be a good idea.  It can affect how your gut does.  I am sorry you are having such a hard time but this will all pass and then it might become easier to deal with.  Being stressed is really bad for us but you already know that.  Check out this website: Open Original Shared Link  It  is a listing, by state, of restaurants that have been vetted by other Celiac's so you might find a safer selection of places to eat at.....when you are feeling better.  I know how you feel. I hate throwing up but, over time, I have gotten really good at not being glutened so it rarely happens now.  You will get there!  I hope you feel better soon.

Forman337 Apprentice

Sorry to hear you're having such a tough time. It can be really hard to get used to feeling out of place in a restaurant with celiac. I don't eat out and haven't for about a year now. I'm a writer and all my meetings with other writers are always at restaurants. I just explained to them about my illness so they don't question why I never order anything except a soda or water. It took some getting used to, and it still bothers me a little being there while everyone else is eating, but it's getting better. Like people said in previous comments, best not to eat out unless you know for sure they know about gluten-intolerance. The restaurant industry hasn't caught up with us, and it's really just an issue of education on their part. Often times when a restaurant advertises something "gluten-free" it means the ingredients are gluten-free, but they may not be educated enough to know to use separate food prep surfaces and ovens, etc. It sucks to not eat out, and it takes some adjusting, but hang in there and you'll get used to it.

I know how hard it can be feeling sick with gluten exposure. My celiac went undiagnosed for 4 years and I was eating that stuff the whole time, not knowing what was causing my illness.

Check ingredients, do research before eating anything. I don't eat anything unless it specifically says gluten-free on the label. I won't touch it otherwise. 

Hang in there. I hope you feel better soon!

notme Experienced

((((((HUGS!!!)))))))) from people who understand!!  stress is also a huge cause of digestive distress - i have been reading about the brain/gut connection lately and it's interestingly terrifying lolz -  but i also agree with frieze - try skipping the oats.  

it's frustrating!  ugh - just this past weekend my husband had a bbq picnic out of state and we were going to bobtail down in the big truck.  my plan was to stop at the red robin burger place and get a few gluten-free meals to go for the weekend.  the rr didn't open until 11am so we figured we'd just eat there friday night, get the to go stuff, take it home and leave out early saturday morning.  went, ate, got home - the to go orders are completely glutenous....  ugh.....  so, we had to go back and they fixed it  :angry:  then i had to explain to 100 rednecks why i couldn't eat any of the 92 lbs of barbeque (omgosh it smelled awesome)  on the upside, they gave me my own private bathroom :) and i had fun on the shooting range  <shooting is gluten free lolz, also a good way to de-stress ;) 

here's some more ((((((HUGS))))))  it'll get better.

Archived