This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Need Some Advice

Slamey24

VydorScope Proficient
How in the world did he get a hole like that in his head? Poor baby

Wellllll we were visiting my Mom in NJ, and he went sprinting aross her kitchen at full power, slipped trying ot make a sharp turn and fell head first in to the courner of a cabinet.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jnkmnky Collaborator

Open Original Shared Link

This guy is kinda reliable. He says belladonna is ok for this use. I've got it in my mind that belladonna is a deadly drug. Must have heard it sometime in the past. :huh:

Slamey24 Newbie

I don't know if it is or not. I'm going to check into all of the ingredients though, before he starts getting his 2 year molars. We found these and our friends have all used them. Also, his Dr. said that they were fine but that was before his diet changes.

Jnkmnky Collaborator
I don't know if it is or not. I'm going to check into all of the ingredients though, before he starts getting his 2 year molars. We found these and our friends have all used them. Also, his Dr. said that they were fine but that was before his diet changes.

I think it's a nightshade family member. I have ancient info floating around my brain confusing me. :blink:

VydorScope Proficient

I dunno many of those ingredients. But the Chamomille is what makes him sleepy. We brew it as a tea some times late at night for my wife.

Slamey24 Newbie

Whatever IS in these things just works miracles for his poor little mouth. Dylan like to get multiple teeth at the same time. He got his first 2 teeth the same week he turned 5 months old, on the SAME day! It was like, one day: no teeth at all, the next day: two teeth on the bottom! Ever since then, he's gotten his teeth rapid fire in groups. Like 2 or 3 at a time.

Wellllll we were visiting my Mom in NJ, and he went sprinting aross her kitchen at full power, slipped trying ot make a sharp turn and fell head first in to the courner of a cabinet.

Poor thing. How well did he handle the stitches?

Jnkmnky Collaborator

AHA!! "deadly nightshade". I'm not nuts! :lol: Only, I guess it's not really so deadly afterall. :huh:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Slamey24 Newbie
I think it's a nightshade family member. I have ancient info floating around my brain confusing me. :blink:

What exactly is "Nightshade" I've heard that before.

VydorScope Proficient
Poor thing. How well did he handle the stitches?

Well he is an extremly active child, he just can not seem to sit still, literly cant handle siting at the talbe while chewing current bite! LOL The amount of time to chew one bite is to long for him LOL, and he DESPERATLY hates being confined.

So take that personality, strap it on to a board and brace the head to keep it still whileyou work with a needle in an open wound... lets just say took 2 full grown adults in addtion to the bindings and they could only bearly hold him still. :(

AHA!! "deadly nightshade". I'm not nuts! :lol: Only, I guess it's not really so deadly afterall. :huh:

So is this stuff safe or not? Im all confused!

Slamey24 Newbie

Okay, so I checked out your link and it's kind of like "whatever". It says some think it's good, and some think it's bad. What do you think? All I know is that it works. If it's bad for him though, I won't give him any more. Maybe I should call the 800 number on the label.

Now I'm the one who's confused!

Well he is an extremly active child, he just can not seem to sit still, literly cant handle siting at the talbe while chewing current bite! LOL The amount of time to chew one bite is to long for him LOL, and he DESPERATLY hates being confined.

So take that personality, strap it on to a board and brace the head to keep it still whileyou work with a needle in an open wound... lets just say took 2 full grown adults in addtion to the bindings and they could only bearly hold him still. :(

Dylan had some blood drawn and it took 2 people to hold him still. But he's more of a "Oh well what can you do" kind of kid. He fights at first, then he just screams and screams. Almost like he's accepted it, but he's still mad.

Jnkmnky Collaborator

Okay, so I checked out your link and it's kind of like "whatever". It says some think it's good, and some think it's bad. What do you think? All I know is that it works. If it's bad for him though, I won't give him any more. Maybe I should call the 800 number on the label.

Now I'm the one who's confused!

WEEEEEELLLL~ I guess it can be deadly, but they've finagled it around enough to find some good use for it. I don't know. Anything that is historically listed as a poison, been used to kill people, been deemed "deadly" for centuries.... I'm thinking, I won't give it to my child. Calling a 1-800 number for the people who stand to make a profit off of your consumer purchase--- well, don't you already anticipate their response??? :blink: Aren't herbs, etc not even regulated by the fda??? I'm leary of this stuff. Belladonna isn't a prescription my doctor writes out for anyone. I find the whole "natural" end of the spectrum USEFUL sometimes, SCARY other times. You have to decide for yourself. PLUS, kids with Celiac can have other allergies. I know the poster Stephanie *posts here* has said she has a nightshade allergy. Maybe she could clarify if this is one of those allergens?

Slamey24 Newbie

Okay, I went to Hylands.com and they have like a gazillion natural products on there. There's also a store locator on there so you might have better luck finding a place to buy them. I'm going to do a little more research myself to make sure they're safe. Talk about feeling like a drug dealer.

VydorScope Proficient
Dylan had some blood drawn and it took 2 people to hold him still. But he's more of a "Oh well what can you do" kind of kid. He fights at first, then he just screams and screams. Almost like he's accepted it, but he's still mad.

Our son is very easy going about alot of things,and moves on fast. But there are a few things he puts his toddler size foot down,and you have to move the Earth itself to get him to change postion! And this is one of them LOL.

Slamey24 Newbie
Our son is very easy going about alot of things,and moves on fast. But there are a few things he puts his toddler size foot down,and you have to move the Earth itself to get him to change postion! And this is one of them LOL.

Dylan has learned (from his older brother) how to stamp his foot, point at the offender, and scream either "no" or "stop". The look on his face when he does this is absolutely priceless. Sometimes it's cute Sometimes, not so much. I'm sure you've encountered much of the same.

Slamey24 Newbie

I've been reading up on Belladonna a little bit, and for all of the reasons in the past that it has been used as a poison it has, in more recent years, been used to treat things. It can relieve pain and has been used to treat scarlett fever, whooping cough, and so many other things that I can't remember. I read that the % of alkaloids is the determining factor on how safe this is. The teething tablets have .0003% and the website I just read said that many lotions, creams, tablets, pills, and other remedies often contain up to .45%. I'm going to re-check with his pediatrician at his appointment on Wednesday and for now, he's not teething anyway so I'm not really worried about it.

Slamey24 Newbie

Dylan's dr. appointment is in 3 days. Does anyone have advice about where we should go from here? The pediatrician seems to be more like, "What do YOU think?" And I'm really not sure what I think. I mean, I'm not the Dr., right? I'm his Mom and I can tell her about the changes we're seeing already, but I don't know if he should have more tests, go off casein, go off soy... and the list goes on. I think she's going to be expecting me to tell her what to do. I'm trying to decide what to do. HELP :(

VydorScope Proficient
Dylan's dr. appointment is in 3 days. Does anyone have advice about where we should go from here? The pediatrician seems to be more like, "What do YOU think?" And I'm really not sure what I think. I mean, I'm not the Dr., right? I'm his Mom and I can tell her about the changes we're seeing already, but I don't know if he should have more tests, go off casein, go off soy... and the list goes on. I think she's going to be expecting me to tell her what to do. I'm trying to decide what to do. HELP :(

Well I am not a big fan off putting young ones through tests unless you have to. Are you doing the gluten-free diet now? Lost track in this thread where your at. If so how long and have you seen any changes?

• 2 weeks later...
Slamey24 Newbie

Hi everybody, I'm back. My home computer crashed right at the same time as my kids and myself got really sick. We're all doing better now so I'm back on the computer. Dylan is still doing really well, and we're really excited about all of the changes we're seeing in him. He actually gained 3 pounds. :D Then he got sick and lost it all again, but at least we know that we're on the right track. He is just about the happiest kid in the world right now. We've been experimenting with new recipes and so far so good. He's doing great. I'd still love to have any advice about this because I still feel so new at this. His dr asks me the questions when we go in so that's kind of an interesting twist. I asked for a referral to a dietician or nutritionist and she told me that we're doing well enough on our own. I'm glad she thinks so. I guess that's all for now, I'll be back!

jerseyangel Proficient

So happy to hear that Dylan is on the right track! :)

once and again Rookie

I have been seeing gluten free products in the more mainstream groceries here in Illinois. Cub Foods and Meijers have a small selection and I even saw products advertised in the Jewel Foods (Albertson's) weekly flyer!!!! Again, not every store and not as great a selection as the specialty stores, but hopefully that will mean that prices will start coming down. Almost $4.00 for 9 cookies is definitely pricey!

Archived