21 replies to this topic

#16 seeking_wholeness

seeking_wholeness

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 10:07 AM

AHA!! Mystery solved! I finally figured out which ingredient in the sausage and bean stew made me sick: the sweet rice flour. It was Authentic Foods brand, and it MUST have been contaminated, because every single time I have used it (in stews, pizza crust, the seasoning mix for dredging turkey cutlets...) I have reacted. I'm SO glad to have figured this out, and I'll be ordering sweet rice flour from Bob's Red Mill next time! I'm just mad, because that bag of flour cost me almost $11.00!
Sarah
gluten-free since November 1, 2003

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 kejohe

kejohe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 05:25 PM

Yikes! That is really expensive for rice flour!

Just as an option, have you checked your local Asian market for rice flour? I buy mine in 1 # bags for 99cents and it's the best flour I have found, smooth, never grainy. You might give it a try, it's cheap and my son has never had a reaction, neither has any of the celiac disease folks I have cooked for.
Kathleen
Son has been gluten-free since December 2001

#18 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 06:39 PM

I need to find me a "local" asian store. There are probably some about an hour and a half drive from here!

Sarah, you asked about gluten-free dish soap. I recently purchased a gluten free/casein free shopping guide. It is updated every year, so these should be current and it also lists toiletry and cleaning products. This is what it says under Household Products:

Colgate-Palmolive Household Products
Ajax dish liquids-all variants
Crystal White octagon lemon dish liquid
Dermassage dish liquid
Palmolive dish liquids-all variants
Palmolive gel dishwasher detergent
Ajax All Purpose cleaner-lemon & ammonia
Ajax cleanser
Sun & Earth Hypoallergenic Diswashing Liquid
Nature's Plus Hypoallergenic Liquid Soap

I hope this helps you. I was never a name brand shopper until I had to go gluten-free. Now I have to stick to the brands that work for me! I guess I'll start looking for coupons for these products!

God bless,
Mariann :)
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

#19 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 28 February 2004 - 06:50 AM

Jacque: I am on this message board because my husband has celiac disease. I do not have celiac disease, but I can tell you with much certainty that fresh and dried apricots bother my stomach/intestines too, so I stay away from them. I can also tell you that even though I don't have celiac disease I am lactose intolerant, so I do know what a celiac disease person is going thru when the symptoms bother them. I learned that as you get older, even for those in good health, there are some foods that bother you anyway. You are probably too young for gall bladder problems so I'd rule that out.
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#20 seeking_wholeness

seeking_wholeness

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 28 February 2004 - 08:10 AM

Thanks so much, Mariann! I'm glad my dish soap is gluten-free.

Kathleen, I'll have to make time to visit the nearest Asian market. I know there is one within an hour's drive from me, but in a direction that I almost never head in. I'll bet I could find rice paper spring roll wrappers there, too! Spring rolls look time-consuming to make, but if they freeze well I could make a few dozen at a time and just fry up a couple when I want them. Do you have any delicious filling recipes I could try? (Gee, it's great to have a chef on this board!)

I hope you both are doing well!
Sarah
gluten-free since November 1, 2003

#21 kejohe

kejohe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 28 February 2004 - 09:48 AM

Have you ever tried freezing spring rolls? I'm wondering because I never have, and I would think that the skin would become very chewy after freezing, I could be wrong though.

Believe it or not, I am actually working on an egg roll wrapper that we can use for wonton, potstickers and lumpia. With and Asian husband, we can't live without these things in our household and he is starting to have to sneak them into meal time, when my son is busy doing other things so he doesn't have to feel left out. I'll let you know my recipe as soon as a perfect it.

As far as a filling for your spring rolls goes... I find that the simpler it is the better. I have one that uses a marinated chicken (or tofu) and lots of fresh veggies, I'll post it ASAP.

Take Care All! :P
Kathleen
Son has been gluten-free since December 2001

#22 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 28 February 2004 - 11:38 AM

Kathleen and Sarah,

My mother-in-law is asian and she makes lumpia (filipino spring rolls). They make literally hundreds at a time and freeze them into bags of a few dozen. This way they can just thaw, fry and eat them whenever they need some. They are very simple to make and they do freeze well. You freeze them before they are cooked, then when you thaw them out, you fry them, so the wrappers are not chewy.

If I can find a good asian store and verify that the wrappers are gluten-free, then I will be able to make some that I know are gluten-free and can eat. This will be good when I go to their parties and can bring my own...

God bless,
Mariann
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: