This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Taking Advil to cope with pain?

Gracey

Gracey Rookie

I read on their website that all Advil is gluten free, I had such bad pinching cramping today(which I don't why since I prepared all my food at home today.) I made a pot roast, salt garlic, onions...No gluten but still pain, That's the only thing I ate today..I don't eat breakfast or anything.

Anyways.

Is it a good idea to take Advil for the cramping? That's how I would describe it like someone is reaching inside me and pinching me and twisting my insides. 

This is what I took

WHR01500.webp

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Sure, if it's gluten free, then fine.  I am very allergic (like anaphylactic) to ibuprofen and aspirin.  So, in my case, I would just tough it out.  Go to bed.  Sleep it off.....eventually.

My money is on the garlic and onions.  I can't consume those either (damn that zonulin/leaky gut -- google it along with Dr. Fasano).  I just season with salt, pepper.  Boring.  But no gut issues.  I'm hoping like my lactose intolerance (resolved), that I will get garlic and onions back.  

Finally, sometimes just eating anything can hurt when you still have intestinal damage.  Hopefully, you'll feel better in two or three hours if it's celiac related.  Longer if it's an intolerance (leaky gut thing....)

Hugs!  

flowerqueen Community Regular

I can't say I've heard of these, but as already has been said, if they're gluten free, it's worth a try. I'm interested in the fact you have cramping though. I had the same thing after being gluten free for a while, and it turned out I had become intolerant to soya (I was already having a problem with dairy), this worked for a while then had more problems, I kept a food diary and by process of elimination found I couldn't tolerate mustard, xanthan gum and E464 (which is a type of cellulose) and a big problem with Quorn (having become vegan). Perhaps you could use a food diary too, to see what is causing the problem, instead of masking it with tablets. 

captaincrab55 Enthusiast

I second the onion issue!        Read the small print warning on all pain killers.      Some contain small print warning not to take them more than 10 days/month.      Taking them more may cause hearing loss.

bogwaterphil Newbie

Hi, I read your post. Mystery cramping; well here is a suggestion. Most store bought meat is to some degree pickled or processed. Roast and other large pieces of meat are injected with the food dye (#40 red) to give it the red fresh appearance. Though naturally meat is actually just pinkish and gray. Perhaps too much of that pickle dye was ingested and was the device that caused the issue; however; if not and you do not mind taking Advil every time. You could add a bit of turmeric and/ or ginger to your meals and alleviate the need for pills! Also, perhaps a little Anise to add some coolness too! Anise is a vegetable similar in look to celery, has a cool liquorish flavor with digestive helpful properties, it does work!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Do you literally mean that is all you ate today or just that it was the only thing different?

Meats can be a bit hard to digest and I think especially so if it was the only thing in your system for the day.

You might want to go with easier to digest foods for a bit. Well cooked veggies, rice, potatoes, both sweet and white and fruits along with well cooked meats.

The Advil should be fine gluten wise. The cramping could be trapped gas and if it is I don't know if Advil will help. If it doesn't you could try a gas relieving product or maybe peppermint tea.

Gracey Rookie
18 hours ago, ravenwoodglass said:

Do you literally mean that is all you ate today or just that it was the only thing different?

Meats can be a bit hard to digest and I think especially so if it was the only thing in your system for the day.

You might want to go with easier to digest foods for a bit. Well cooked veggies, rice, potatoes, both sweet and white and fruits along with well cooked meats.

The Advil should be fine gluten wise. The cramping could be trapped gas and if it is I don't know if Advil will help. If it doesn't you could try a gas relieving product or maybe peppermint tea.

Yes, I only eat one meal a day. Sometimes salad or fries or whatever I can find. And thanks for the replies again.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gracey Rookie
20 hours ago, bogwaterphil said:

Hi, I read your post. Mystery cramping; well here is a suggestion. Most store bought meat is to some degree pickled or processed. Roast and other large pieces of meat are injected with the food dye (#40 red) to give it the red fresh appearance. Though naturally meat is actually just pinkish and gray. Perhaps too much of that pickle dye was ingested and was the device that caused the issue; however; if not and you do not mind taking Advil every time. You could add a bit of turmeric and/ or ginger to your meals and alleviate the need for pills! Also, perhaps a little Anise to add some coolness too! Anise is a vegetable similar in look to celery, has a cool liquorish flavor with digestive helpful properties, it does work!

Thanks I never heard of that dye before, I guess I have to find more natural meat thanks for the suggestion. 

ravenwoodglass Mentor
4 hours ago, Gracey said:

Yes, I only eat one meal a day. Sometimes salad or fries or whatever I can find. And thanks for the replies again.

I also only really eat one meal a day and always after I get home. I never really feel hungrey. I call it 'Pavlov's dog in reverse'.  I think it comes from so many years of food making me sick. I have gotten to the point where I now at least can eat a sandwhich and some fruit during the day but it wasn't a quick process.

When folks get like that it is very important to make sure that one meal has a good amount of both calories and nutrtion.  If your diet is how you describe you are starving yourself.  You need to get yourself used to eating again.  What helped me was carrying a baggie with some nuts and dry fruit with maybe even a handful of gluten free pretzels and always some chocolate baking chips. I just ate couple pieces when I thought of it throughout the day. A little bit of cheese and a couple safe crackers, a piece of fruit or a small tin or individual serving snack pack are also good.

You need to get some nutrition during the day so you can feel up to cooking a simple full meal  for dinner.

I hope your feeling better soon.

psawyer Proficient

Advil (ibuprofen) is gluten-free, but can be a stomach irritant, especially if taken on an empty stomach. That said, I will also place my bet on the garlic and onions. As Raven said, eating more than once a day may also help. An empty stomach is likely to be an irritable stomach.

Archived