This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

request suggestions

jhc

jhc Newbie

Hello, I have frequent canker sores (roughly comes back every couple of months). Some blood test results are as following.

Component Your Value Standard Range
TISSUE TRANSGLUTAMINASE IgG 0.31 Index <=0.90 Index
Tissue transglutaminase IgA 0.96 Index <=0.90 Index

My doctor said that result is unspecific, and I unlikely have celiac disease, since I do not have other abdominal symptoms. For reference, I do have frequent constipation, excessive gas, frequent canker sore, etc.

Do you think an upper endoscopy is recommended? I am a little hesitate considering the risk of this procedure and the fact that my symptoms are not that bad. I appreciate all suggestions.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master
31 minutes ago, jhc said:

Hello, I have frequent canker sores (roughly comes back every couple of months). Some blood test results are as following.

Component Your Value Standard Range
TISSUE TRANSGLUTAMINASE IgG 0.31 Index <=0.90 Index
Tissue transglutaminase IgA 0.96 Index <=0.90 Index

My doctor said that result is unspecific, and I unlikely have celiac disease, since I do not have other abdominal symptoms. For reference, I do have frequent constipation, excessive gas, frequent canker sore, etc.

Do you think an upper endoscopy is recommended? I am a little hesitate considering the risk of this procedure and the fact that my symptoms are not that bad. I appreciate all suggestions.

cyclinglady Grand Master

Sorry.  Something is wonky with either my connection or celiac.com!

Your results are not specific...borderline.    That is why your PCP should refer you to a GI for further celiac blood tests and a possible endoscopy.  I recognize the lab report form.  Kaiser?  If so, a PCP can not order a full celiac panel.  Only a GI can do so.  Why bother?  Because if you test like me, the TTG tests are always negative.  Request the EMA and the DGPS test via a GI.  

Do not be fooled by a lack of abdominal symptoms.  I was only anemic -- no abdominal issues at all.  Constipation is a symptom.  Your PCP is thinking is just historical Classic celiac disease symptoms.  

Please email your doctor for the referral if you think you might have celiac disease and want a solid answer.  

jhc Newbie

Thanks very much Cyclinglady. Yes, it is Kaiser. I doctor said the GI think it is unlikely to be celiac deisease (he did not say how he came to this conclusion), but he would be happy to do an upper endoscopy for me. I did some look up online, this procedure should be low risk. Still feel a little hesitate while reading the potential risks :(.

Centime Newbie

Push for the endoscopy.  My GI said at the initial consult that he didn't think I had celiac but wanted to do the scope to "rule it out"  When he saw me immediately after the endo, while I was still in recovery, he saw enough damage to change his position and sure enough the biopsy came back positive.

cyclinglady Grand Master

At the very  least, get the GI consult and rest of the celiac panel.  Then armed with those results, discuss with your GI.  Together, you can decide whether or not you should   to obtain intestinal biopsies.  

cyclinglady Grand Master
20 minutes ago, Centime said:

Push for the endoscopy.  My GI said at the initial consult that he didn't think I had celiac but wanted to do the scope to "rule it out"  When he saw me immediately after the endo, while I was still in recovery, he saw enough damage to change his position and sure enough the biopsy came back positive.

I admit, my blood panel was "mildly positive" with only the DPG IGA being the positive, yet I had a Marsh Stage IIIB (pathologist report) though my visual on the endoscopy was fine.  celiac disease can be hard to diagnose, that is for sure.  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived