This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Test results confusing

Stormfyre

Stormfyre Rookie

Ok I have been having both gastro issues, neurological issues, itchy skin no rash, and my pdoc finally sent me to a neurologist who did a bunch of blood tests. He says i have ceilac disease and put me on a gluten-free diet, and is referring me to GI, my question is when i got a copy of my labs it makes no sense, appears negative. 

I had sent a message to the doc asking about the test and he said " Is back and is positive. Thanks for update."

Endomysial IGA                                                         Negative          Negative
Tissue Transglutaminase, AB IGA                              <2 U/mL         0 - 3 U/mL
Immunoglobulin A Quant                                         391 mg/dL      87 - 352 mg/dL

suggestions? 

Thanks in advance

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master
2 hours ago, Stormfyre said:

Ok I have been having both gastro issues, neurological issues, itchy skin no rash, and my pdoc finally sent me to a neurologist who did a bunch of blood tests. He says i have ceilac disease and put me on a gluten-free diet, and is referring me to GI, my question is when i got a copy of my labs it makes no sense, appears negative. 

I had sent a message to the doc asking about the test and he said " Is back and is positive. Thanks for update."

Endomysial IGA                                                         Negative          Negative
Tissue Transglutaminase, AB IGA                              <2 U/mL         0 - 3 U/mL
Immunoglobulin A Quant                                         391 mg/dL      87 - 352 mg/dL

suggestions? 

Thanks in advance

The first test is negative and it's pretty specific for celiac disease.  The tTg test, humm.....is hard to read.  Your result is less than 2, but the range for being positive is 0 to 3?  That's seems weird.  So, I don't know.  Did you type it correctly?   The third test is just a control test insuring the first two IgA tests are valid.  

This is big.  Your neurologist was wrong to tell you to go gluten free.  Besides a blood test, the gold standard for diagnosing celiac disease is an endoscopy/biopsies and you need to be eating gluten daily in order to get accurate results!  

Open Original Shared Link

I recommend you go back on gluten until you see your GI.  Will you see him/her soon?  

Stormfyre Rookie

I see him in a month.  I'll call ? to see what he wants me to do.  Thanks 

• 1 month later...
Stormfyre Rookie

Well things have changed somewhat since muy first post. GI sent me to allergist. He ran mine test. My celiac panel this time says positive although other allergy tests are neg. They have me as non celiac gluten sensitivity and gluten-free diet and GI says unless new symptoms occur I don't need to do a biopsy at this time. Thanks

kareng Grand Master
24 minutes ago, Stormfyre said:

Well things have changed somewhat since muy first post. GI sent me to allergist. He ran mine test. My celiac panel this time says positive although other allergy tests are neg. They have me as non celiac gluten sensitivity and gluten-free diet and GI says unless new symptoms occur I don't need to do a biopsy at this time. Thanks

I guess I don't understand - did you have actual Celiac blood tests?  Because they are not positive for Non-celiac gluten sensitivity.  They are positive for Celiac disease.

Stormfyre Rookie

I had a celiac panel and its positive but the definitive answer is biopsy so without that info not have the celiac diagnosis my GI doesn't feel its necessary since treatment is the same either way.  No gluten 

kareng Grand Master
50 minutes ago, Stormfyre said:

I had a celiac panel and its positive but the definitive answer is biopsy so without that info not have the celiac diagnosis my GI doesn't feel its necessary since treatment is the same either way.  No gluten 

But that isn't really true.  People who are just NCGS can have a little bit of gluten now and then without starting an antibody reaction.  They don't need to worry about a little cc from a dubious restaurant.  They don't need to worry about the bone loss or other issues that are  associated with Celiac.  They do not have the same protections in a school setting, for example.  Their children do not get tested regularly for Celiac. An insurance company can rightfully refuse to pay for repeat antibody tetings, bone scans, etc.  It goes on and on.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Karen is right.  I am not sure you understand what is comprised of a complete celiac blood panel (and maybe even your doctor who referred you to an allergist for both allergy and celiac disease testing).  With all the possible complications of celiac disease, I would request another opinion from a more celiac-savvy GI.  I don't know your financial/insurance situation, but I think it's odd that your current GI does not want to follow the standard level of care issued by the American and British Gastroentrologist's Associations.  Unless, you did actually fail the complete celiac panel.

From your original posting, you did not receive the entire celiac panel.  So, you can see why I am doubtful.  

Stormfyre Rookie

The allergist i was sent to did the following test

Testing performed at Quincy Medical Group Laboratory, 1101 Maine Street, Quincy IL 62301. Laboratory Director Robert Gutekunst MD

Component Results
Component                                      Your Value    Standard Range
Gliadin IgA Ab                                   Positive         Negative
IgA                                                      370 mg/dl    65 - 421 mg/dl
Tissue Transglutaminase IgA          11.45 u/ml    0.00 - 15.00 u/ml

this has been such an odd experience. If this is not a full panel what tests do i need to be asking for? 

Stormfyre Rookie

The allergist did the following tests as well 

12/05/2016    Allergen Cat Hair/Dander,Standard IgE    Jason Knuffman, MD    Final result
12/05/2016    ALLERGEN DOG DANDER    Jason Knuffman, MD    Final result
12/05/2016    HOUSE DUST MITES D. FARNIAE    Jason Knuffman, MD    Final result
12/05/2016    HOUSE DUST MITES DP    Jason Knuffman, MD    Final result
12/05/2016    T4 FREE    Jason Knuffman, MD    Final result
12/05/2016    TSH    Jason Knuffman, MD    Final result
12/05/2016    LATEX, IGE    Jason Knuffman, MD    Final result
12/05/2016    ALLERGEN WHEAT (F4) IGE    Jason Knuffman, MD    Final result
12/05/2016    TRYPTASE    Jason Knuffman, MD    Final result

12/05/2016    25 HYDROXY VITAMIN D    Jason Knuffman, MD    Final result
12/05/2016    Allergen Gluten IgE    Jason Knuffman, MD    Final result
12/05/2016    IgE    Jason Knuffman, MD    Final result

I can provide these results if they would help. I can tell you that dust mites, dog, cat, wheat, latex all <0.10 other words Negative. 

cyclinglady Grand Master
58 minutes ago, Stormfyre said:

The allergist i was sent to did the following test

Testing performed at Quincy Medical Group Laboratory, 1101 Maine Street, Quincy IL 62301. Laboratory Director Robert Gutekunst MD

Component Results
Component                                      Your Value    Standard Range
Gliadin IgA Ab                                   Positive         Negative
IgA                                                      370 mg/dl    65 - 421 mg/dl
Tissue Transglutaminase IgA          11.45 u/ml    0.00 - 15.00 u/ml

this has been such an odd experience. If this is not a full panel what tests do i need to be asking for? 

You have a positive on the celiac panel.  Take your results and go back to the GI and get biopsies of the small intestine.  That is the standard protocol.  Maybe find another GI.  Your current one does not seem to be celiac-savvy.  ?

Archived